Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barflez - 70 Human Warrior - Bronzbeard

DH_
DH_
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DH_ polycounter lvl 18
I figure this is far enough along to warrant it's own thread.

I've stopped playing WoW again and what better way to shake it off than to make my character next-gen. Yay!

barflez_wip09.jpg

barflez_wip06.JPG

This was actually going to be my blizzard competition entry from 2006. It's based on my WoW character as it was sometime last year (I think?) wearing the Wrath armor set which was the only full set of armor I've gotten in the game, and probably my favorite looking set they've done so far aside from the helm. I always hid my helm anyway.

I still have a good deal of work left on it. Need to figure out how to make hair work since Unreal doens't like anything but 1 bit alpha.

Planned on doing the shield and sword in the reference pic too, but I doubt I can do all of it before DWIII so I'll have to tackle the hair first and hope I can do the others before DW if I have time.

Barflez_wip_ref.jpg

progression - http://www.horribledeath.com/images/wip/Barflez/

Replies

• BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    She looks great Jason! I think the teeth on the helm should be a different color to stand out a little more. Maybe the same color as the blade coming out the top?

I would have also loved to see you work in that skull on the chest but what you came up with looks great too.

- BoBo
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    BLOOMIN ECK!
    It's taken nearly 2 years but it's lookin absolutely gorgeous, I concur with bobo's helmet suggestion.
    Perhaps make them appear like the metal blade on the head & shoulders. Any chance of those skull eye sockets getting some emissive shader treatment?
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Wow very nice. The shoulder pads and the back have very nice strong designs, and the ones on the front torso feel a little less prominent. Maybe use some bolder (thicker) shapes?

Also check the alignment of bottom of skull on the back and the bottom of nose, should align no? the nose feels a ted too long to me.

Now let's see some insane texture work!!
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    You've gotta make the Bulwark!
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great, I know you are still going to be tweaking this a bit more, but would you mind showing how your doing that cool metal?

Spark
  • onelung
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    Looking awesome man! I'd say that the shoes being all gold are a tad much to me, also maybe playing with the skulls or something to bring the white/bone back into it.
    Congrats on kicking the W.O.W. habit. smile.gif
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    word! i didnt even know u could still do art AHAH

WORK IT
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Wow thats really awesome, I love how it turned out. The metal and gold texture looks really nice, was it a shader?
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome DH, the armor modeling is very clean. For the hair I think sculpting a hair mesh would work.
  • Por@szek
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Sooo u stop playing wow Jason? hard to believe :P
    Anyway it looks very nicely. Its always nice to c some fancy goth elf armor from U smile.gif
  • nkoste
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    He he I remember you posting your wow folder moving to trash. Good therapy.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    excellent work! I think a little more colour variation might be nice but thats subjective.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    MOTHERFUCKER!@!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    We cannot proceed.

The form you have submitted is no longer valid.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.

[/ QUOTE ]

FUCK YOU POLYCOUNT!!!
  • DH_
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    barflez_wip10.JPG

I've done dozens of small fixes and changes to the the various maps. I also added the green glow and runes finally and messed with the shader a bit more.

Bobo : I actually wanted to have more skulls on her, but somehow forgot to add them. I originally had the logic of wanting her to not have completely rigid chest peice so I went with the scale idea to make it seem somewhat more mobile, but eh, its big bulky armor so it's not going to be very mobile anyway. oh well.

shotgun : Agreed, but I think I'm far enough along at this point that I dont see myself going back and changing the high poly significantly and then rebaking/fixing all the texture maps. Looking at it now there is a lot with the design I'd like to change but DW is approaching fast.

Good call on the face, something was bugging me about it, and still is for that matter. The normal is kind of messy on it, so I'm likely going to rezbrush/project it since I dont see a lot of crazy fixes involved with that.

Brett : this is what the diffuse and spec map look like currently -

http://www.horribledeath.com/images/wip/Barflez/barflez_df_10.jpg

http://www.horribledeath.com/images/wip/Barflez/barflez_sp_10.JPG

The gold effect is an environment map I baked out from one of the UT3 levels plugged into a few other shader components to modify its intensity and color within unreal.

http://www.horribledeath.com/images/wip/Barflez/barflez_gold.jpg

Onelung : I'm thinking I'll change the shoes to some sort of brassy or coppery type metal, I put some dirt on them to try to drown out the gold a bit. Changing the metal type to something else should work better in addition to the dirt I think.

Soulstice : The gold, and with this update, the shoulder/helm blades are more shader driven. The blueish purple metal is just diffuse and spec.

Iron : I've been thinking about it and I think I'll have to do a combo between sculpted lit hair with 1 bit alpha and then do strands with the full range of transparency but unlit. Luckily her hair is black so it should be easier to get away with.

Thanks for the feed, always helpful to get others' eyes on this stuff to help me see what I can't on my own anymore.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    yes! That is looking sooo nice. Thanks for sharing

- BoBo
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i'm so glad you quit playing wow.