Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

P51-D [next-gen]

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
IxenonI interpolator
Hey,

i´ve been a long time lurker in these forums and am continously amazed at the talent posting here.

In order to fill my portfolio i decided to build a P51-D WW2 Plane. All of the details including the bolts and the surface panels were modeled.

p51_small.jpg

Click here for high resolution

Wire:
p51_wire.jpg

Sheets:
p51_sheets_small.jpg

Click here for Higher Res

Modeled in Maya, rendered with mental ray.

14.517 Tris, 2x2048 Color, Normal and Spec.

Please give some critique.

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Wow. Thats a lot of details. Nice texturing job too. Can we see some wires and texture flats? Are you making this as a cinematic vehicle? Hard to critique unless we know what you are going for.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    wohoo

lol.. first i thought.. Lxenonl .. whos that?! laugh.gif

thats some crazy nice model..
    cool texture and nice render

top stuff smile.gif

ps: more shots please!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    excellent work. from what i can see the detailing and accuracy is pretty strong.
    for a minor crit, i don't think you've quite got the quality of the specular up to snuff with the finish quality of the rest of the piece; it's got a glossy, glassy sort of sheen to it like it's been covered in car paint, over and on top of all the really nice details/scuffing you've put into the texture.
    if you've ever seen a P51-D in person, or should i say any airplane with that kind of metal fuselage, you'd notice that it throws a harsher, more metallic specularity. the top of the fuselage particularly, with the matte paint on it, should not be throwing white reflections. the whole reason they painted the top of the engine compartment olive drab or black was precisely to avoid any reflections into the pilot's eyes.
    i know close to nothing about shaders and the like, so i can't really offer any help as far as that goes... but this should give you some idea of how you might tweak the material reads to be better, if you were so inclined. should be pretty minor to fix, and i think it'd improve the presentation of the piece because of how high quality it is overall, the little things draw attention to themselves.

let's get some more views of the model, too! the P51-D is such an elegantly shaped airplane.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice! Bake that down to a low poly version you can actually use in game, and it'll be perfect.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Very nice! Bake that down to a low poly version you can actually use in game, and it'll be perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    14.517 Tris

[/ QUOTE ]

sehr gut! Habe dir ja schon gesagt, was ich ver
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking very sexy. I agree with gauss on the spec, it could use some tightening to bring it up to the quality of the rest of the model. You also may want to try adding a subtle ripple effect on the panels using the spec, no military aircraft (even new ones) have perfeclty flat pannels.

Awesome work
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Looking very nice. Have to agree with Gauss though, it does seem a bit over-glossed.

Tumerboy: Why does he need to lower the poly count? 14k isn't that much these days at all. The project gotham games push over 100k per car. The textures need to be lowered in rez though, 2x1024 would be alot more reasonable. 2048 maps are fine in games these days if said textures are going to be right in the players face constantly, but 2 of them for a single model is just excessive.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Obviously you haven't played Gears Of War then? 2048x2048 x2 for the head, 2048x2048x2 for the body, 512x2 for the spec. Then 1024x2 for the THIRD PERSON view weapon, and then 512 again for the spec. Just on one guy. Every other person and monster is the same.

Polycount and texture res wise, this is fine for next gen.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    heh.. yea its alright everything can use 2048's these days. also polygons doesnt matter in next gen smile.gif

nice work tho! can't you show some different angles and a few detail shots?
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    @gauss: thanks for that, i´m going to try to fix the specmap and the reflection in order to tweak it.

Concerning texture resolution: I wanted all detail of the highpoly to show up in the normal map so i chose 2048. Would be no problem though to scale it down...

I´m going to do some more renders and post the flats after work...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odium: Sigh, how many false specs are floating around for this game? Every time people mention it theirs a new set of numbers. I've personally seen the texture sheets for Marcus, and it's 1x2048 diffuse, 1x2048 spec, 1x2048 normal, and 1x512 for the hair.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I could take shots from the editor if you like? Marcus certainly has a head AND a body texture, both at 2048x2048.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? Huh, I guess their's more then one version of his unwrap/texture then.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Updated the post with wire and sheets.
    Probably not going to be able to do some new renders today, trying to do them as soon as possible though.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome plane, I love the detailing. Forgive me for asking a bit of a noob question. But how do you get such clean lines in your normal? Particularly the plates and the rivets.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Killer UV layout there, hardly any wasted space. 1024s will be fine for that level of detail wink.gif Nex gen engines can handle 2048s but why tax the texture memory unnessesarily. If you loose too much in the downscale then just stick with the 2048s.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    @Saidin311: Comes down to a uv layout that is as distortion free as possible and a clean bake of the highpoly mesh. As already stated, every plate and all of the rivets were modeled.
    I´m going to post some screens of the highres when i do the new renders.
  • RomBinDaHouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi.
    Very good model.
    I see some troubles in Normal map. Light directions are differ in in green channel for different patches:
    002ni8.jpg

And there's no padding on borders - mips will blend to black color on seams. So it will be buggy in game engine.

sorry for poor english. =)
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    There are a few artifacts here and there as mentioned but its not like a load for him to fix around :3
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    @RomBinDaHouse:

Thanks for the issue with the channels,it was a problem with the geometry of the highpoly bolts. I just rebaked em.

Concerning padding: There actually is, i just have hidden the layer to better show the layout
  • hessi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys better stop jerking off on what he did wrong. This is a damn fine piece of work. This should only show his skills so stop discussing that some games wouldn't support this and that.

Nice job, Simon! I hope your new position will be better than your last one.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    TBH hessi he's posted it here asking for feedback, it's perfectly valid for people to talk about that stuff, and it's also true... don't get your panties in a bunch, it's not important smile.gif

It looks nice. Other people have already said what I would about the specifications for polygon count etc.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    err polygon count and texture sizes are perfectly fine for a player model at minimum LOD distance and textures can be mipped down to 1024 by the engine after compression (and are, most of the time, so working at 2048 for the raw file is better) all depends on the engine actually.

very nice model and render
  • hessi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was referring to those discussing he should use a specific texture resolution, mip mapping and so on. Some people tend to be a nitpicker in these cases.

Giving feedback on historical backgrounds is nice because in this case it had impact on the shading.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    I did some new renders.

I´ve changed and adjusted the specmaps and the reflectivity so that the painted parts arent as bright and reflective and that that the damaged parts have less spec.

According to my refpics, the painted parts still have some spec/ref left so i didn´t tone it down entirely.
    I´m going to try to add some ripples or a similar effect to change the "perfectly straight look" on the wing panels.

@MoP
    I´m happy about every crit i can recieve, and as already stated, the texture size can easily be downscaled.

p51_small_01.jpg
    Click here for higher res

p51_small_02.jpg

p51_small_03.jpg