Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LPC # 05 Japhir --- Oddworld --- Scrab

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
ok i couldn't resist making another one. i pm'd hawken twice to ask if it is ok to enter with more than one entry but apparently i can't send pm's (it says that i have sent zero messages).
it's a scrab from the oddworld series laugh.gif this one was really easy.. i had lots of tris to waste. when i had the basic shape blocked in i was only at about 400 tris! smile.gif
well let's cut the crap, here it is:
scrabwipag6.jpg
(concept by oddworld inhabitants)
c&c welcome!
edit: oh and i see now that i'll have to lower his upper beak a bit to match the concept more.

Replies

• kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice silhouette! You might want to try to define his shoulder a bit better, like the concept. I dont want to 'steal' your thread, but I made a scrab with half this contests specs about a year ago, might be handy for you for reference in case you need to save some tris/texture space smile.gifhttp://www.tookie.nl/bobby/model-scrab.gif
    Keep up the good work!

PS: did you notice the oddworld site is under construction? *hint hint* laugh.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you need to hit save to save your pms.

I got 'em, and replied. multiple entries are fine.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    hawken ok got it grin.gif thanks!
    kwakkie: yeah i noticed, i wonder what's next laugh.gif (although i have only played the first one tongue.gif)
    well anyway, here is a color blockin with some detail:
    scrabwipyb7.jpg
    i also tried to do a little video capture of my texture process for helping others and recieving some crits on my workflow, but apperently i saved it wrong so the file doesn't work frown.gif
    crits and comments welcome!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This texture is looking awesome so far. Add some highlights and color variation and you'll have a really great entry on your hands.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    very nice love it! i have no crits.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Great job! I actually thought that those are just your reference pictures grabed from the game... Really great.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    it's done!

Name:
    Scrab

Thumbnail:
    scrabthumbnailqb1.jpg

Beauty:
    scrabbeautyzh1.jpg

Construction:
    scrabconstructionzd0.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Great work man!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Drop dead sexy, you got the silouette down a treat and the texture is looking hot too.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    You got the anatomy down to a T, bitchin texture too. Will surely nab a top 3 place smile.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    looks really good.

- BoBo
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Were these guys in Stranger? That was the only oddworld next gen, correct? Anyways, looks good!

texture looks a little rough, sort of 'sketchy', and I would love to see a smoother treatment, but that is all personal taste [i'm referring to the flat, not the non-filtered screenshot]

I think the texture could use some highlights to make certain parts pop a bit more. right now everything has the same level of shading and highlights which makes it come across as very flat.

these are pretty minor, though. always loved the design of the oddworld critters, these guys especially.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Really nice - too bad your Video Capture didn't work, would have been interesting smile.gif.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!

Slaught
    Thanks!

Xaltar
    Thank you!

RazorBladder
    Thanks! I certainly hope so grin.gif

Bobo_the_Seal
    Thanks!

Sectaurs
    I don't know if they where in stranger, but isn't Munch's Oddyssee next-gen? I'm not really sure what is meant by next-gen anyways... I sure hope it's ok! It would really suck to be disqualified... But it's the same universe, so they could be in the game if they needed to be right? And there are some very next-gen-ish video's with them in it.
    I made the texture crisp on purpouse, because usually my textures are a bit monotone, soft and dull so i wanted to make the most out of this one smile.gif. You are right about the shading, but I already submitted this one and don't really feel like working on it anymore tbh wink.gif

rebb
    Thanks! Yeah, stupid program.. the first 5 mins where allright, but after that it was stuck... maybe next time laugh.gif
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool!
    Just one thing, i think u have the necessary UV´s space for to do a better inside mouth

cheers!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Munch's Oddessey was one of the first games released on the original XBox so calling it next gen might be a bit of a stretch. Hunter was an XBox 1 game too, for that matter. I don't think anyone is going to stickle the rules (is a stickler one who stickles?) too hard on this one.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahaaa Jackablade.

Anyway, I'm really liking your progress on texturing, Japhir. Your volumes and colour-choices have improved by leaps and bounds, and it's all looking quite good! As mentioned before you do tend to have quite rough-looking textures though, and at this texture-res (presumably without any filtering) it might look even rougher in-game. Regardless of the ingame results, it wouldn't hurt to blend a few things to introduce some variety of materials. One thing I'm thinking of is having stretched materials actually *look stretched, like the skin over his 'hips'. This'd be easily acomplished by having less abrupt brightness-changes on it (the material is stretched *flat), and just blending the colours would also look quite good on these sort of areas, I think.
    A few of these comments are just personal opinion, so take it however you wish!

Another thing I'm noticing: there's very little shadow in there except for the ones that define local things like muscles etc...
    It would help to darken his downfacing elements more, like the bottom of his beak, the down-sloping part of his back and the undersides of his legs. If you do this, you can also toy around with faintly reflecting the ground-colour onto the shadowed parts, something I've always found greatly improves the depth of a texture, and it can really help with grounding multiple pieces in the same environment

edit: also, the reason I wrote up such a long post is because I'm impressed with your ability to take criticism to heart and how that enabled you to improve so fast. I remember MoP and a few others telling you to paint with bolder strokes and to really define the planes of something, and I seem to remember your next texture being a lot better already.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooohoo laugh.gif
    thanks a lot guys! great crits!

ultra
    You mean i need to paint his inner mouth better? Ok, i'll try smile.gif

jackablade
    thanks, let's not be sticklers wink.gif

mightypea
    major thanks for your crits/comments! really helpfull!
    i'll work on them asap, but i wonder if i am still allowed to edit my post in the submission thread grin.gif. thanks again!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    very nice work Japhir true to the original and very nicely achieved, your skill improvements are impressive since the street fighter minicomp smile.gif
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks vahl grin.gif
    ok i tried to work out the crits and this is what i got. ultra: sorry, i kinda forgot about his inner mouth blush.gif

name:
    Scrab

thumbnail:
    scrabthumbfb0.jpg

beauty:
    scrabbeautygq4.jpg

construction:
    scrabconstructionsc6.jpg

what do you think? better? construction is unlit. and i just realised my beauty image is too big, so i'll wait with editing my entry.

EDIT: beauty image updated. thanks merskum!
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathorne polycounter lvl 17
    Brilliant work! The scrab is one of my favorite characters from the Oddworld universe and you did an excellent job capturing it. The chest is my favorite part of the texture - the lighting and colour varition really makes it pop.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome work Japhir, that purple reflected light is sweet
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    In the interests of keeping the challenge consistent, Oddworld Stranger's Wrath was a "next gen" title, however Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee wasn't. I see you are doing the character justice in low poly, but it was rather low poly to start off with, so the "challenge" element is minimal. I'll move your entry to P&P to continue further activity.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aww man seriously?? there are 3 oddworld munch's oddyssee threads in here, that really sucks ass... couldn't you have said that when you first posted in this thread?
    i tried looking up weather it supports normal maps, since that was your criterum, but i couldn't find any info on that... too bad frown.gif

damn this sucks...
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    You still get a win from me. This little guy came out great.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    brilliant texture,man! very nice!
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathorne polycounter lvl 17
    Don't feel bad mate, you made a kickass model and texture, that's what matters. Perhaps all us rejects should have our own little voting?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    really nice model and texture
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So why is Stranger more "Next Gen" than Munch? Sure it looks a whole lot nicer, but technically speaking its at the same level. Theres no normal mapping, if thats your definition.
    1104971314.jpg

Tis nice work, Japhir.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Technically every game released on the xbox was not next gen. That was LAST gen. so that means doom3/munch/abe/halflife2 are all disqualified.

"next gen" was coined to describe the generation of consoles AFTER the current generation, during the generation of the xbox/ps2.

At this point, the rules for the comp are pretty much a joke, and the validity of an entry up to the whim of those in charge.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I was under the impression that next-gen just meant using normal maps and stuff. Who defines next-gen anyhow? PC could run "next-gen" things before any of the consoles you're calling "next-gen" were out, Slum...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Next-Gen is just a buzzword created by marketing people.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My game has no normal maps, it's a wii title. Next gen, and pretty high res, but doesn't fit mop's qualifications either.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If you made a game using just diffuse maps and vertex-lighting on 360/PS3/Wii, does that immediately make it next-gen? I don't think so... not much on Wii is very next-gen IMHO smile.gif

Gah, thread pollution, sorry frown.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    mop: yes, because the term "next gen" is a shorthand for "the next generation of consoles", not "the most state-of-the-art tech"

If a game comes out on the 360 and looks like total ass, it's still a next-gen game, just not a very technically impressive next gen game.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your comments and clearifications grin.gif, so next time when i need to choose a "next-gen" game to model from (yeah, i'm thinkin about either doing one more, or improving my kratos model, kindof my way for revenge tongue.gif) i just have to select a game that is published on the ps3, xbox360 or wii?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you made a game using just diffuse maps and vertex-lighting on 360/PS3/Wii, does that immediately make it next-gen? I don't think so... not much on Wii is very next-gen IMHO smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's still definitely far removed from these 500 poly specs. Environment maps on everything, and very large poly and texture budgets.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice model,

i dont care for "next-gen", to me its an over used term to describe the rush for teck over art........ and for sweaty looking everything

feck me stranger still looks hotter than 90% of the "next-gen" games out for the current crop of consoles.

I wander if this "gen" will always be called the "next-gen" its getting a little long in the tooth

PS- i think the mdel fits the context, not technically but in spirit, surely PC aint got that anul =)
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    wow whered these texture skills come from? Looks great Japhir, your improving really fast. Keep it up!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Your texturing is getting way better, man! Don't worry about it being in the comp, it's a great piece.