Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GA-DomWar3 Trophy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
Finished this up tonight for a comp over at GameArtisans. I really really wanted some wings on him.. and tried for the comp piece, but they really looked like ass, and I think hurt the piece overall.
Anyway heres the statue, sans wings. 100% done in maya, body is from arsh's base mesh, head is a modified head I was working on recently for another project all together. So far I'm happy with maya's sculpting abilities, and I'm getting my higher poly workflow down again. Many of the same techniques as years ago, just much much higher polycount smile.gif
Statue_Wingless.jpg

Replies

• pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    The gear really helped add interest to this pice...and I think no wings is better as almost everyone have those o n...
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Anatomy reference. Grab some. Use it.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    pose could use some tweaking... right now he's looking a little Saturday Night Fever
  • ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    The figure needs more contraposto, and there is no way he would be able to support the weight as he is posed atm. The weight it really off in general actually..check the distribution on his legs as well.

You need to get some hard edges on the creases of your skin so that it doesn't look so blobby.

The cloth isn't well resolved..its just floating without any definition. get some reference and look at how gravity affects drapery.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah theres some good work put into it but I think you should have pimped it before you called it final.. he looks delicious
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I ran out of time. All the gear aside from the forearm guards was done, yesterday between 2pm and 9pm. smile.gif
    Part of the weight issue is the angle I got that shot at, though the torso and hips likely should be a bit more forward.

But all you guys are correct in that this needs more work overall.
    I had a few main goals with this piece:
    A: actually finish a contest entry
    B: See if I really do need mudbox/zbrush or if I can make due with just maya.
    C: Remember/learn how to effectively do high poly work in both hard surface and soft. This is the first thing of this complexity I've sculpted. The only other thing is well. The head on this model that I did earlier and modified for the pose here.

so
    A: Check
    B:Mudbox would be nice
    C: Getting there.

also heres a side view, which is the angle I did most of the work for.
    Statue_Side.jpg

and If the dom war trophy images stay the same size then its only going to be seen this big:
    Statue_Side_Small.jpg

Thanks again for the input. I'll be sure to put it to good use.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    SHOULDERS ....SHOULDERS....