Home General Discussion

Visual stimulance of the taste buds (or not :P)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
East polycounter lvl 14
Okay, not sure if that is the correct title for it, but I just hade to share this bizarre thing.

Was watching the latest episode of Chuck, where Casey pours a glass of soda for Morgan in a sort of visual way. At this exact time, I was drinking a glass of milk. My mind proceeded to mix what I was watching, with what I was doing, so I was -expecting- to taste soda, but instead I was tasting milk, and I gagged having to splurt the milk out in my garbage bin..

So bloody odd. Any of you guys experienced anything like this before..? confused.gif

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yep. I can only watch cooking shows if I'm eating.

And a semi-related note, here is some info about Michel Gagn
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    er ... that's a glass of milk stimulating the taste buds into thinking, well, that you're tasting milk. You might think it was strange, but these things tend to happen in the whole Tasty World of Milk

now, drinking milk and tasting soda, THAT would have been odd
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So bloody odd. Any of you guys experienced anything like this before..? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Often, but usually not as startling, like I'll have water in the cup, think I actually poured myself something like iced tea, or lemonade, (or vice versa) go to take a drink and then I'm startled when the taste I'm expecting doesn't agree with the taste I'm experiencing.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    er ... that's a glass of milk stimulating the taste buds into thinking, well, that you're tasting milk. You might think it was strange, but these things tend to happen in the whole Tasty World of Milk

now, drinking milk and tasting soda, THAT would have been odd

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually experienced something similar for a long time. When I was a child, I had to take medicine in the form of capsules that were broken up into my food. My parents always put it in my applesauce. Until I was a teenager, I couldn't eat applesauce without it tasting like pills.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    you ever watch a movie with characters fighting to swim to the surface of the water and have yourself take a big breath when they get there?

Same deal laugh.gif

I also developed an association to gummy worms while playing dr mario cause we had a bin of them while we played once.

jolly ranchers for final fantasy mystic quest.

Haven't been able to go to a certain buffet restaurant for 3 years now because the last time I was there, I was suffering from norwalk virus. Half diges.... -snip-

you don't need to know that... suffice it to say, I can't smell, taste or be near that restaurant ever again.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    danr, you're absolutely right. Was in a rush to get to work and couldn't quite figure out how to word it properly smile.gif

I think I had pretty much the same reaction you have if you've experienced putting salt in your coffee instead of sugar. We know the taste we are expecting is one thing, and then when experience a different taste it's a bit.. odd.

I didn't even recognise it as milk properly. I was expecting some grape soda, and what I got in my mouth was something really uncomfortable and weird.

Slum, really cool link btw. Really mind boggling how much work they put into the little details in their movies smile.gif
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I used to listen to the same cd while eating one type of candy (which i got for my birthday) and after the candy was all gone it was pretty much unbearable to listen to the cd without getting a terrible hunger for that type of candy :P (eventually my music taste changed so it wasn't that much of a problem anymore laugh.gif)
    lol
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    east, try only drinking milk out of a cow-shaped mug from now on. Should sort you out a treat
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    And a semi-related note, here is some info about Michel Gagn
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've had this happen to me a few times. It's such a bizarre experience and I generally can't eat or drink the rest after it has happened. I get put off.

-caseyjones
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]

I also developed an association to gummy worms while playing dr mario cause we had a bin of them while we played once.
    you don't need to know that... suffice it to say, I can't smell, taste or be near that restaurant ever again.

[/ QUOTE ]
    similar but off topic;
    I got woken up really early the first day I played Super Paper Mario, and felt horrible every time since I played it. Had to sell the game in the end, and I can't even watch videos of it without feeling sick.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Synaesthesia.
    taste color
    Hear scents
    See sound.
    Different subject but very intersting
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i automatically start singing limp bizkit songs every time i see anyone playing a skateboarding game, simply because i listened to limp bizkit during tony hawk's pro skater one a lot.

yeah i was young and am still ashamed.

also hot cocoa makes me think of quake since i got it during christmas 96, so i was drinking lots of cocoa.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    fixed
    [ QUOTE ]
    east, try only drinking milk out of a cow-shaped mug from now on. Should sort you out a teat

[/ QUOTE ]