Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gatorman WIP

Greetings folks!

Working on a character here, possibly for importing into Unreal 2k4 or UT3. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my model and what I can do to improve it.

gatormanComp2.jpg

Cheers!

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's quite an endearing character.

The mesh is a bit of a mess. There are a number of areas that could use some serious optimisation. The hands seem to have an enormous number of polys as do the eyes and the disks on his belt and the belt itself.
    Eliminate any geometry thats not adding to your silhouette or needed for anmation purposes and you'll be off to a good start.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Right off the bat....try shifting most of the excessive polygons from the hands to the tail so that if you want to pose the tail you would have far less difficulty shifting it around....other than that I like the subject.
  • OldBobaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I should mention that this is for an animation project; we have four to five different animations we are doing for this quarter. I had just finished working on building an arm out for zbrush, so I followed that with the arms and hands. As far as a weapon, I'm thinking of a two-handed khopesh, and some different poses with that (defensive, victorious, offensive).

Thanks for the comments so far!

I'm supposed to start the rigging process today, but I will work on lowering some polys. I'm getting from one of my classmates that the chest muscles seem off, any idea how I might improve that?

Cheers!
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have a look at some photo reference maybe and work on the flow chest with the shoulders etc.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of the enemies from Donkey Kong Country. smile.gif