Home General Discussion

Devil May Cry 4

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
Anyone else tried the Demo ?

you can chose 2 different "level" that are made of different portions of the game so you can have a good panel of the moves and stuff. the use of the lateral buttons on the 360 pad is a bit weird to get used to (since you have to hold them to lock and they are smaller and higher then the ps3 R1 and L1 buttons) but I got used to them rather quickly.

I only played the first two so I don't know if it's close to DMC3 or not but I really loved playing that demo, environments look gorgeous, combos are awesome, I'll probably buy the full game.

Replies

• sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    I tried it on PS3 yesterday!!!! Terrible!!! I love it!!!

The first level has a timing, but after the bridges, this is the second level of the demo (this one with no timing), then...
    Finally I didn't success to kill this big fire man... He is a little difficult...

Then crazy demo, background are totaly beautiful, FPS is very nice, and moves or anything of the character are very good work.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    loved it.. a little put off by the way too fast jump and slow motion run.. he can run faster after a bit, but it really looks odd the super fast jump flip in the air..might of worked if they eased into the fall and made that a bit slower.. but thats a minor nitpick.. this game also looks like it uses almost no normal maps, but it works.. some of the characters like the fire boss(who is really bad ass) look like they have normal mapping, but for the most part everything looks like hand painted diffuse, but it works well because the lighting is ace.
    i will be buying this game, totally over the top action, but a bit on the easy side... i bet the actual game will get difficult..
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    I spent most of the night playing and re playing the boss section last night. I'm super excited about the game, I wasn't a fan of the first 2 but the third made me it's bitch!!!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Glad to hear positive thoughts on this, going to grab ze demo after work.

never got around to playing the second or third, but the first was one of the straight-up funnest games I've played. Blew my mind when it came out.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Being a big fan of the original, the second I lost interest half way through. I heard the 3rd installment was a return to the roots, so I picked up the special edition. It has yet to really pull me in and make me want to play it (And I've really tried to like it). Also is it me or did the cheesy dialog really go through the roof on the 3rd? I don't remember the first game being so silly.

That being said, I grabbed the DMC4 demo yesterday and I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if it will grab me either. it does look gorgeous and play really well. I wasn't a fan of the lock on hold, but whatever. For some reason or another I've just become a bit disenchanted with this franchise and I can't put my finger on it.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I like the art style. It has a really nice subtle normal map along with just really well painted textures.
    The environments are great. It's "messy and weathered" but at the same time still clearly readable.

Controls were fine. Plays just like the old ones. The jumping has always been weird but it's very forgiving. I've always looked past the jumping issue because the game isn't a platformer.

Wonderful animations. Very stylish. I love how they hold poses to exaggerate impact.

The one minor gripe I've had about the series the slight lack of control. Because the animations can be a little too drawn out sometimes, the game disconnects the player throughout the attack animations. Sometimes I just want my attack to end instantly so I can move towards the next enemy. But the game doesn't punish you for just mashing on the button and attacking aimlessly. Enemies don't really gang up on your all that much and are really generous when it comes to giving you time to attack.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Sounds like any DMC from the past...but me try it sometime today...
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was really impressed, the animations and effects are amazing. In my opinion Capcom are making the best stuff graphically for the consoles, between this and re5 I cant think of many console games that looks better.
    I think the amount of photo sourced textures they are using hurts the visuals overall because its hard to keep the style consistent. It looks kinda odd when you see a normal mapped kinda anime-inspired character with hand painted textures running along in a mish mash of photo source textures. It's not terrible, for the most part it looks great but if you look at some of the outdoor jungle screenshots it really shows.
    http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/832/832480/devil-may-cry-4-20071102044621471.jpg
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Being the first time i play DMC im not very impressed atall.
    Its like run run run run magicsprint run run run, oh look enemy, fight, run run run run run magisprint run run run...
    Felt more like sightseeing simulator than action game and yeah the textures were a mess in some places.
    And the constant black screens were really stupidly annoying, like come on you cant make smooth camera transitions before cuscenes etc.? It felt like i was dragged out of the game every 10 seconds...
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    I never played DMC before either and I also think it wasnt what I expected it to be. The backgrounds are nice but the gameplay is way too repetitive.

Compared to God of War the fighting/combo system is soooooo boring! And what the hell is up with that sword charging? You need to press a button 20 times to get about 10% extra damage on your next attack?!?! WOOHOO!!!

After about 20-30 minutes it became REALLY uncomfortable to keep holding the 'lock' button on the X360. They should have used the RT button or a 'one press' autolock feature, because the game is unplayable for me like this!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    I never played DMC before either and I also think it wasnt what I expected it to be. The backgrounds are nice but the gameplay is way too repetitive.

Compared to God of War the fighting/combo system is soooooo boring! And what the hell is up with that sword charging? You need to press a button 20 times to get about 10% extra damage on your next attack?!?! WOOHOO!!!

After about 20-30 minutes it became REALLY uncomfortable to keep holding the 'lock' button on the X360. They should have used the RT button or a 'one press' autolock feature, because the game is unplayable for me like this!

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, couple things.

first of all, it's a demo, and you don't have all the moves at the start of the game. there's plenty to purchase, as well as extra weapons to liven up the combat.

the charging does not take 20 presses. I thought this at first, but it actually only takes about 3. it revs, just don't press it as fast as you can, you need to time it.

and in the full game I've heard you can switch the lock on to RT instead.

I'm not a hardcore DMC fan or anything (only had the first one, didn't even beat it), but I want to clear up these obvious misconceptions.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Utter toss. Kill enemies, walk upto static door, press button, screen blurs, rinse and repeat. It looks fantastic, but I don't know how you can get away with this in 2008 with the power of these consoles, it's shocking.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I find this game highly enjoyable, specifically...
    The solid 60 fps.
    After coming out of Mass Effect feeling a little abused by the random choppiness it endured upon me, this is refreshing. A crisp, clean looking game, with well made character models, etc..
    Very nice.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

The one minor gripe I've had about the series the slight lack of control. Because the animations can be a little too drawn out sometimes, the game disconnects the player throughout the attack animations. Sometimes I just want my attack to end instantly so I can move towards the next enemy. But the game doesn't punish you for just mashing on the button and attacking aimlessly. Enemies don't really gang up on your all that much and are really generous when it comes to giving you time to attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least in dmc1/3, this was an (undocumented, to my knoweldge) gameplay mechanic -- when you hit the attack button, relative to the animation, effects the next move in your combo. Can't get the dmc4 demo (live isn't working) but it's probably worth trying longer and shorter pauses.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Whilst I can appreciate the art style and content.. That's about as far as I've ever been able to go with DMC.
    As much as I try these gorgeous lookin Hack N Slash games out, I ultimately get intensely bored very quickly. Needless to say I won't be purchasing.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    This game was Flat and had no depth.

the lighting was decent but not as good as Gears or COD4.

PASS!
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the new hand thingy. Made the combos cooler!

DMC has never been a God of War, but that does not mean it's not a good game.

By the way, did anyone else practically pop a boner when he stopped the giant fire demon's sword with his own? That was cool.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I liked the new hand thingy. Made the combos cooler!

DMC has never been a God of War, but that does not mean it's not a good game.

By the way, did anyone else practically pop a boner when he stopped the giant fire demon's sword with his own? That was cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah yeah. That was awesome. The game has so much character
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    New trailer !!!! with L'arc~en~Ciel!!! \o/ fantastic!!

http://www.gamekult.com/video/8279414/
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    cant wait for this, this game has so much polish it shines. the camera cuts piss me off and i hate having a cut scene everytime a magical goo baracade gets opened.. but still, cant wait for this to come out..
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Okay, this game is messed up.

The plot is wank, I was never much of a player of this genre of games. I gave up on DMC3 after 15 minutes.

But I can't put this one down. I still hate the camera, especially when it flips while you're moving through a door or down a corridor.

Finished the game on Devil Hunter mode only to find out its just the normal difficulty; and Human mode was easy. Ah... crap...
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't played much, but I had a friend who was playing through and got so pissed he abandoned it. It was around 6 am, he hadn't slept, and he started ranting about how he had to fight the same bosses over and over. He also mumbled something about some "bullshit dice game."

Anyone care to elaborate?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hahahah Yes. The dice game.
    It took me an hour to complete that mission. I don't know if there really is a secret to it.... or if it's really just all random. I'm assuming there's a trick to it since, I can't see how anyone can get an S ranking (for completists) when your progress is based on luck.

Be sure to check out the library and go into the info stuff. They have a cool model viewer that lets you see monsters/bosses/characters/items.

The quality of the artwork is unbelievable. When I first loaded up Nero's profile my friends and I all said "Aww bullshit it's just a CG still shot"
    Then it started to rotate.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive never played a DMC game until I tried the demo on my friends ps3, wow I like it, its absolutely rediculous and looks great. There just seems to be so much great texturing to every environment! Not sure how repetitive or annoying the full game might be though.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game is amazing, I don't really understand any of the complaints. I guess you guys just aren't fans of the series? You know, of course, that nero can charge EX with a single well timed press of the button as one of his normal attacks hits, righht? As long as you can do that he can break just about any enemy's block every second hit.

Beat on devil hunter with only a handful of continues, found it much easier than dmc3 (which i never completed) and started on SoS. Should have had rank 99 on level 3, but my internet disconnected during the level and it wouldn't let me upload. :|
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    started playing last night!

that first demon boss made me wet my pants, i love all the aerial combat, so much fun. Haven't been able to pull any S combos yet, but was a smidgen off of one last night, if i had had one more enemy to kill. I'm playing on Normal for the moment, but it does feel too easy, and a little boring with # of enemies. Giving it a few more missions before i go crazy and up the difficulty.

the environments are gorgeous, everything is really well done. Plus, it has a grapple-arm-hook.... and anything with a grapple hook is fucking cool.

I dont think story is really an element that DMC has ever been strong with. Ever play DMC2? haha it was a clusterfuck. The game is still fun though!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    love it, just started dante's half on sos. ng2 is really going to have to be spectacular to top it.
    dt buster to a white knight = bad ass.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Just beat Son of Sparda.... not sure if I want to play through again in Dante Must Die mode.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have to play dmd, it's evil and you get super nero and super dante after you've beaten it
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I'm currently playing through on Human and while I think it's too easy (as it damn well should be...but I haven't played a DMC game to completion before and wasn't that great at Ninja Gaiden Black) I am digging the hell out of this game and will wind up revisiting it on numerous difficulty levels.
  • Divide By Zer0
    Personally I think for overall awesomeness of this game, it had its moments where I was like Holy SH*T but not as much as duing DMC3. I beat this game in less time than DMC3 also. Another thing is that the story is a little convoluted, I recommend if you want to get all the details of what went down and why then watch the cutscenes all in a row after you complete it. All in all I beat the game on Devil Hunter in about 11 hrs.

My order of most awesome DMCs from best to worst
    DMC3
    DMC1
    DMC4
    DMC2

/0
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished on Devil Hunter ranking. As far as beat em up/hack n slash games go it's pretty solid. It's still no Ninja Gaiden, but it's at least in league with it. The combat feels really fun, and I can't decide which character I like more. Nero is nice and simple, and his ability to grab and throw is seriously handly. Dante feels like he has more depth (and he should after 3 games), and with the pandora and swordmaster style I had no trouble getting the style meter to S-SSS almost every battle compared to nero.

The character art is fantastic, and the environments look great for the most part with a few exceptions (forest seemingly lit by nuclear explosion is the worst looking level).

The story is pretty silly, but these games typically don't have super awesome dramatic stories anyway so no harm there. It's all over the top cheesy fun, and the dante/nero voice actors actually did a pretty good job considering what they had to work from.

They sure do love to have you run at the camera after having the camera behind you. It's pretty annoying but they only seem to do it in enemy free areas. Their targeting could be improved a good deal too, its hard to get it to do what you want sometimes. I use the forward rushing attacks a lot to keep myself mobile and put as many enemies on the ground so fewer are there to potentially hurt me while I deal with the ones standing. It's been a pain at times getting a lock on the right guys so I can do that effectivly

I'd recommend it to anyone that likes action games. It's by no means perfect, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    The gameplay isn't as good as Ninja Gaiden, but the story and the "woah that was cool as fuck" moments are way better. I think God of War takes the cake in terms of gameplay + story.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    How the hell do you beat Secret Mission 09? Er, at least I think it's 09. It's the one where you have to kill infected lizard dudes w/o getting hit. I got close... but their secondary attacks are so random. Even on easy it's difficult to do.

I played a little bit of Heaven and Hell mode. Pretty hilarious. Everything dies with one hit... so you just mash on shoot button and you slaughter everything. I got to mission 6 then died at the puzzle area. That lighting monster spawned right next to me and I died. Hah
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    Any of the plant infected guys I have to stagger my attacks. I look for ones that just wigged out and work on them for a few seconds, then back off so their flailing doesn't hit me.

I tried that mission once or twice I think so I can't remember exactly how many there were, still need to go back through and clear those all.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I spent a good half hour last night trying to clear it. The first wave of monsters 3 lizard dudes spawn... and there are 3 of the chimeras that burst out of eggs. I usually try and clear the chimeras first. Usually works.

The 2nd wave is where I lose it. 3 infected lizard dudes spawn. If one of them chooses to shoot thorns at me while I'm attacking... it's over.

I can't do the Royal Guard secret mission either. How does it work?

Then there's the nonviolent one.... where you have to increase your style ranking w/o using physical attacks.

I think I just need those 3 and I'll have all the secret missions completed.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royal guard one works by timing a block just as the enemy attack hits.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    hmm dunno, maybe you can LOS them behind all those rock pillars that are everywhere in that stage. Try to get all 3 bunched up in an area and knock them all down then just start focusing on one. Nero might be handy, you could pull one out of the pack that way if needed.

who knows, still need to finish a lot of those missions myself.

the royal gaurd one you have to do with dante and use the royal gaurd style to block their attacks. I found it was easiest to kill one of the 2 flying dudes right away so I could just focus my attention on trying to block 1 of them.

The no attack one you'd probably want dante with trickster style/royal guard style maxed out, or nero with table hopper maxed, and then just taunt a lot in between avoiding attacks. I think with nero you can grab one of them as a shield and it wont count as you doing damage to it when the other monsters attack while it raises the style meter at the same time.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

My order of most awesome DMCs from best to worst
    DMC3
    DMC1
    DMC4
    DMC2

/0

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that your list is the timeline, right?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Yes!! I beat the last 3 secret missions.

For the royal guard, I followed DH's suggestion and killed one of the flyings dudes first. Then whenever the other guy would charge up his finger, I'd just wait for the sound effect then press circle. Easy. Just watch out for his 2nd attack. I just jumped out of the way for those.

For #9, I jumped around a lot and used the shotgun quite heavily. Whenever a lizard dude would get close I'd shoot him with a shotgun and send him back, then focus attacking on one dude. I think I killed the little plant guys first. In the first wave I was only dealing with 1 infected lizard guy. For the 2nd wave I just jumped around a lot and shot them with the shotgun. The DT gauge was maxed from trying so many times... I just used it for some quick stinger attacks then back to jumping and shooting.

For the nonviolent one I used Nero. I just jumped in the air, grabbed, then mashed on the jump button to jump off the enemy. After a while I got a C ranking and finished the mission.

I'm still missing 3 blue fragments. I gotta look at the FAQs and find them.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    I went back in and did secret mission 9 finally, holy shit that was annoying. I think I ended up spending over an hour just trying to get it done. Started with just trying to use the sword and DT'ing the wave of 3 plant infected guys, but ended up going with the shotgun/lucifer combo to finally finish it.

Nonviolent Resistance I did the enemy shield thing which ended up being harder than I thought it would. Most of the time my style bar would just drop back to zero without the ability to use all my moves.

Started a play through of Son of Sparda too, and damn I need to get better at killing those blitz's as nero. That first one in mission 4 has killed me over and over (trying to get the no item bonus so I haven't been using health stones or gold orbs). Might just need to redo my skillset, I don't have any of the charged shot upgrades yet.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I snagged all the blue orbs/fragments. Tried Son of Sparda and got rocked in Mission 01. Hah

The Blitz guys are annoying... more so when you're using Nero. His gun is pretty weak and it takes a long time to fully charge. Just rape them with holy water?

I should try that.... I hope they just flat out die with holy water.

Who's tried the Bloody Palace?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloody palace is great, made it to mission 14 with dante on first try, and 17 with nero, got my arse kicked by a blitz.
    currently on mission 9 in dmd and trying to get the slow time item, but there's a bunch of angelos and assaults smacking me about frown.gif
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    use pandora, charge up the disaster meter with the minigun on the previous levels, then drop a missile barage on the blitz. Then you can run in with devil trigger and do a combo and end with a buster. a second round of that will finish it off.

if you're using Nero just run around till you have full charge before shooting. Two hits on full charge shots should knock it down and let you melee it with combos and buster

Keep getting killed by Berial on 20 in bloody palace.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Same here. I can't beat Berial in bloody palace.
    Tried with both Nero and Dante...
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    I can't seem to get past Berial either, time keeps running out. I guess I'm too long killing the blitz and gold angels.

It seems harder and harder to get enough time to kill stuff after about stage 10, the enemies just seem to have a ton of HP or there are a lot of them. Even the no damage bonus of 30 seconds is usually just letting me break even, I've only been trying with Nero though.

Hit mission 8 in SoS mode last night, the boss fights are much tougher, but otherwise it doesn't feel too hard at all.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm. I always have plenty of time in Bloody Palace. I've never had the time run out. When I play with Nero I'm constantly trying to get the Exceed bonus with my attacks. I mapped it to R2 so it's a little easier on the hands.

I always press R2 after the first attack. Then launch in the air. Then the downward strike move with R2. Then his stinger attack.

Every now and then I'll pull off Level 3 Exceed air launches and stingers. It kills enemies pretty quickly. With smaller groups I usually just get C style rankings. But with the larger ones I get up to SS and SSS if I don't get hit.

I use DT quite a bit too to keep my health up. Read this one on gamespot... I had no idea it recharged your health while in DT mode.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, I seem to hit about 3-4 minutes, and then I get to a wave with plant infected anything, ice demons, mephistos, or gold angels and I end up losing 30-45 seconds each time since you cant really brute force those enemy types. I typically save my DT for ice demons, gold angels and depowered blitzes.

Didn't know about DT recharging your health either, that would have saved me a few continues in SoS mode :/ I tend to stockpile it too much.

Hell for some reason it wasn't till I had cleared Devil Hunter mode and looked at some online videos that I realized you could even upgrade your DT timer. I completely missed the purple orbs in the item upgrade somehow. I'm still 50k short to get that last slot since I only started buying them once I started my SoS playthrough. Oh well.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can farm red orbs in mission 7 easily, fill your exceed gauge, run to the red orb rock, dt and kick the crap out of it, restart mission and do it again. takes about 30 seconds and you'll get at least 4000 orbs each time.

you can farm red orbs and proud souls in mission three by killing the three monsters at the start and doing the above on the rock. takes longer but handy for when you want to get a certain move.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Or... since you're already pretty good at the game by now, just play through human mode. Crank up your style meter and just blast through all the enemies. Feels less of a chore than starting/restarting a mission just to get orbs.

When I went back to try and clear the secret missions, I decided to do them in the easier difficult settings. I noticed this is a great way to get free items, too. So I managed to stock up on a few low level items through my play-throughs. But more importantly I was able to stock up on yellow orbs and holy waters for free. They all go away, though, once you've picked them up once in each difficulty setting, I think.

But I was able to amass 200K red orbs just dicking about and clearing the easy difficulty levels.

[edit]
    Bloody Palace guide (don't if you don't want anything spoiled): http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/928376/51835