2636 tris (not optimized yet)
hippomonsterwip1pf3.jpg

hippomonsterwip2pp9.jpg

hippomonsterthumbnail1sq7.jpg

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the concept (and especially how simple and effective it is!), but I think the model could use some more work in making the shapes pop, and even then you could get rid of some polygons, or use them to better effect.
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

There is differently some geometry that isn't needed, for example the tip of the tail is all quads. I left it like that because I was going to Z-brush it to generate the normal maps and it seemed to help having the extra loops and quads in places.

Basically I was trying to model it all as quads then optimize with triangles etc. later.

I decided to add some hippo hair which is the geometry on his back.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think his rear legs need some 'haunches'. Big meaty thighs. Right now they just seem to skinny to support all that mass.

But pretty cool.
  • Walruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think his rear legs need some 'haunches'. Big meaty thighs. Right now they just seem to skinny to support all that mass.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe it's supposed to life most of the time on water =P.

Nice model and concept, I've got a noob question..How did you make the wireframe appear on the render??
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nice model and concept, I've got a noob question..How did you make the wireframe appear on the render??

[/ QUOTE ]

an easy way to achieve this (at least in 3dsmax) is to first clone the model in place, then use the 'push' modifier just a little so it expands over the object, then apply a new material on it with 'wireframe' checked (one of the first options in the material editor)

render it out and you will get this effect
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I based it off a photo reference of a hippo so I thought it was ok, but I see what you mean and I might tweak it a bit.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

use this tutorial if you can't work it out:
    http://www.3dnuts.com/tutorials/render_wip.shtml
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say check out some more pictures of hippos. The teeth seem too small on your model. Here's a couple shots.

hippo2.jpg
    hippo.jpg
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kozmonaut, my hippo reference was a baby hippo so that explains the small teeth I guess. I guess I'll change the teeth around a bit then.

I'm guessing whoever took the first hippo mouth photo is now missing a head?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'd still make the hippo dentures more crooked as they tend to end up like such anyways...

And hippos kill more people each year than other animals in Africa...
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had a look at a lot of hippo references. I see what you mean with the bigger teeth, but in a lot of pictures I saw they had small teeth. It's meant to be like an angry dog ... only hippo lol, here's a paint over to show what I mean.
    hippopaintoverhe3.jpg

if anyone has any comments I'll take them into account other wise I might start on the texture. I think i'll go the old diffuse style texture because I screwed up that other alien thing by trying to be all fancy with normal maps and not worrying about everything else.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    I like the design, but why is the mouth so wide open?
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,

Hippos can open their mouths wide I guess. I modeled it of a reference of a hippos mouth open in the hope that it would line up nicer when the mouth was closed, which is does smile.gif

Any problems with it so far? I don't want to screw the texturing up.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    You would probably want to model it in a more neutral position for animation. It might be hard to rig it so it looks good when closed at the current angle. Not a big deal, though you might want to adjust it if you are going to normal map it. Probably wouldnt be a big deal though. Also if you dont animate it, having such an extreme angle for the final renders will look awkward.
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    nah, hippos have that poses, they use a lot to spread the mouth like this