Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP piglike thing

supercop
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
supercop polycounter lvl 14
New model WIP:
cthulhu.png
630 tri's so far, I'm going for abit higher definition than I usually do. Probably gonna take it into zbrush too.

Model sheet:
img057-2.jpg

The more I look at him the more cthulhu inspired he looks.

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I like your design, looks funny. You missed the mixed up critters challenge! His eyes make him look like hes on drugs! I guess you made this eyes because you want him to look cute, i suggest you indicate atleast a bit eyelid and remove the black ring. The bigteeth make it look he has no lower jaw, you could put the teeth with the upper jaw more to the front.
    I cant see much of the pig, he needs a pigtail! smile.gif
  • DrElu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Davision3D already said he looks really cute smile.gif
    One point from my side. Maybe try to fix the weight of legs a little bit while modeling the basic shapes. Depends on how you want him to sit there.
    So far. Keep it up!
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Palrog thingie is all modeled and unwrapped. Now to take him into zbrush and finish him off. I redid him from the ground up (took about 3 hours to model, 10 minutes to unwrap) and am liking the results.
    palrog.png
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    pshhh zbrush! 256 skin that thing! its cute smile.gif
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Palrog's been done for a while. Just realized I forgot to post it. I kinda wish I'd done more with the specular map but I think it works as is right now. I removed claws from his design and made it simply be toe-less feet, kinda plushy. I thought it made him look cuter. Textures are a little big for the level of detail on the model right now though.

Anyways here's some renders:
    palrog-3.png

Diffuse:
    Palrog_diffuse.png

Normal:
    Palrog_normal.png

Specular:
    Palrog_specular.png
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    The spec and color could really need some more love.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Ha, pretty cool looking character! grin.gif Moose has a point about the textures though. You could definitely knock it down to 256 without a noticeable loss in detail.

And for your future models:
    Your specular map is made to help the high or shiny area's of your model catch more light, and the low, and dull area's less.
    Its doing neither now because each area is one solid color.
    Wherever you have the peaks of your creatures muscles in the normal map, there should be some hint brightening in that same area's on the specular map.
    Also, each area of the skin catches and reflects light subtly and in different ways. You could capture this effect alot better if some of the detail in the diffuse map was in your spec map.

You can also achieve some pretty neat effect's by having some hue's and brightness solely on your character's specular map.