Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rens Sculpt&Ditch thread (contains nude)

A place i can call my own. A place where i can dump all my art and progress.

I started a new sculpture and the goal is to get it casted in bronze. instead of just posting one or two pics, ill keep posting my progress.

to start out;

00.jpg

01.jpg

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Its a nice thing that the arms and torso's nicely nailed down beforehand...you should start in the face though as I think it would be easier to have the head fleshed out a little earlier...
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i still need to practice my whole in one drawing skill, ^^

i think im gonna need a bigger board xD
    02.jpg
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    hey rens - nice start with the sculpt & whooo! your skills with the pencil have gained a nice level up! ... i think the same as pliang about the face, its better to have it blocked in before doing the rest. i feel great fear when the concept/character/body/... is rendered and i need to get to the face - i fucked it up all the time i tried it that way. the face needs to be there before the rendering begins - i hate rules but i guess thats a law smile.gif
    keep us updated!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks xysdf,

yeah i should, i also fear to messup, wich i actualy do everytime xD

put in some more shapes, also did alot at the back, wich i will include next time.

04.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    We would like to see the back sometime as well...
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    awesome, Rens

This is looking great so far, man. What are you going to do about the arms?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, one arm is standig, so that is not a problem, but the other is just floating and thats not gonna work.

i came across a ref that had the solution. i just pasted an arm on there to see what it looks like, still not sure if i should put it there, but it looks fine i guess.

i redid the back a couple times but it turned out even wurst

also the legs are gonne be tricky, still got to figure out what to do next.

05.jpg

053.jpg

052.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    nice! keep going
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome, Rens!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its time to pull the plug.

tried out a couple things, and it just didn't became what i hoped it would. ill probably cut of the head since it just makes it look shitty. time for a fresh start

08.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Fine work Rens. I actually like the head, only minor crit for the head is that the nose/eyes half of the face looks longer than the nose/chin half of the face, maybe? But it gives her character, so I don't know. Awesome work anyways!
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good! nice to see some sculpting on here. I just started using Castilene and have been loving it. No wax pen yet, but I get by with an alcohol torch and my dental tools. Keep us updated!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    sweet now is the stage where you stop working on it for a few weeks, then go borrow a neat figure that looks kinda like this, then make molds off of it.. cast the molds and then claim it as your own!

but in all seriousnes. the sculpt is looking great, much better than i've ever clayed
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It's good, but it has a couple wonky looking places.

The neck looks very weird, it looks like she is tensing it up or has an extremely toned trapezius, thin that part up a bit. Also for some stranger reason her left breast is hanging lower than the right, even though the left shoulder is raised considerably, since the pectoral muscle is attached to the deltoids, it would be pulling it up making the left breast much more thinned out and be up a bit higher. You need to create a crease where her hip meets her side, I don't care how skinny you are (even though this girl looks like she has a little hip to her) that crease will form. It's weird, because in earlier shots it looked like you did have that in, but got rid of it for some reason. Also you make it seem like the left leg is extremely hard, you need to add some compression to it where the right leg is overlapping it. The back also seems to lack some of the detail and defintion you gave to the front.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    very nice gesture & form smile.gif

only crit is watch the top leg -- make sure you can fit the tibia in there without it bending too much smile.gif
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

neo, i think looking at alot of references and applying the wrong parts from those created weird spots, like the neck and the crease. the points you made are spot on, and ill keep them in mind for the upcoming sculpts.

it was a nice learning process

i tried out some sculpey, or "cernit" that is, still have to get used to it, but i think its quite fun.
    the weird thing is that i had three different colors, (because the just sold a couple packs of each color) while one color almost melted in my hand and was realy formable, the rest was extreemly hard, and even after heating it was a bitch to work with.

03.jpg
    bad pic, i know