Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT3 Map WIP thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
If I make a thread, I have to work on this! That is the idea.

Over the holiday I start mucking around with this layout. I made a bunch of DM maps back in the day (quake 2). All of my favorites were the small, 2-4 player levels. This will be the target size of my level.
dlayout.jpg

Then filling out some the idea with a few materials and props (yucky wood and floor)
drender02.jpg

Today I spent some time (~1hr) on the archway collar. This is a material test on a simple mesh. The final will be much more detailed. The high poly is textured so all I have to do is bake it all back down.
arch01b.jpg

My biggest hurdle is that my current PC can't handle UT3. I may install it at work and assemble there, while propping and material creation from home. I'll be using Max, Photoshop and Crazybump for most everything.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff cholden. Got any blueprints for us?

Also, buy a new PC you cheapo!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    great to see UT3 custom content popping out here and there wink.gif
    I am very curious to see the final level design layout.
    Small size seems more than reasonable here since the effort needed to create stuff for UT3 is way bigger that for previous releases wink.gif

I am working on my own DM map now, so I'll also post some WIP later on. Meanwhile I'll be watching ur progress.

Btw, I think that for ur portal it would be sufficient just to get normal maps through Crazybump and not to model hi-res version.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks fellows. Here's a new floor tile I was playing with tonight. Not totally sold on it, but it's way better than the previous floor.
    dcobble01.jpg

Matroskin: the reason I create high detail meshes is because my technique is fast. I've been making texture like this since 1998*. It's really no problem to bang out a high detail texture mesh and bake it for normals. Additionally, I prefer the way it looks (the punch, depth, and no overlays).

*And those crazy bastards kept all those high detail texture models to bake normals for a next gen game here recently! And by crazy, I mean smart.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    not a bad floor, paint some details into the diffuse that pair up with the normals you have, such as dirt gathering in the cracks, or slight scuffs along the raised parts of stone. It's a good texture it just needs some help conveying depth.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not fully convinced about the tiling. There are a couple of areas where the stone flags seem to melt together, although I know it's a bitch to get modeled tiles to mesh properly. Small thing, and I might not even notice it in-game.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    maybe increase the blue channel in contrast to bring it more with relief ? can you use parallax maping ? this is looking really neat man, keep showing stuff !
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    For the arch and floor textures, did you paint those stones manually or use reference for it? It might sound like an obvious question, I'm just trying to gauge how much is manually done and how much is photo reference. (for my own learning)

Also, how did you get such deep definition with Crazybump without getting so much noise? I find that if I want to get deep grooves I always end up with so much extra bump. What kind of settings produces such clean textures?

Love the ideas so far, seems simple enough to get done considering the potential length of a custom UE3 map. I'm inspired to come up with a layout for a small level myself!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tinman, Gmanx: Agreed. I'll go back and make all these touch-ups after testing in game. I can't totally trust max's viewport for how it'll turn out, but if all this crits still stand once viewed there, your ideas are going in!

Johny: Funny thing, I actually went into the blue channel and REDUCED the contrast of the texture (so I can revert back easy). I felt as a floor, it should appear flatter and less "I'm going to trip over every stone". But again, as stated above, if it sucks in game it's going to get the treatment.

Saidin311
    As stated, the arch is created from a high detail mesh, but because you're so sexy, I'll go into a little more detail...

As far as reference goes, yes, I googled "brick arch" to get some ideas how I wanted the bricks to be laid out in a proper arch fashion. But that's as far as my reference went. I reference almost everything I do, usually creating a collage director of images to fall back on. Better to do it right that spend a ton of time on something only to have someone reply "impossible, retard!"

I start by modeling a brick, and cutting unique chunks/edges out all around it (this is important for making it appear like a unique brick from different angles). Then I instance and rotate/scale them all around to make my whole arch. Even the keystone is the same brick, but with a few more cuts (the 3 base stones are different as their size/position demanded it). Then a subtle noise over it all to make everything appear even more unique. I apply a diffuse to those bricks, as well as mortar mesh underneath it all. It's really a very easy process only taking about 30-45 minutes. It takes about the same amount of time as cleaning up a picture of bricks, and yield those hard, clean edged to everything which is a look I prefer.

I didn't actually paint anything except for some minor color/roughing up work on the high detail diffuse which is placed on the bricks/mortar. I don't put much thought into this, just a lot of color variation.

Final High detail mesh
    arch01b_high.jpg

Then a make a low poly mesh to bake the diffuse, normal and lighting map (AO) to a texture. I put the diffuse this generates into crazybump to pick up the small rock/crack details and overlay it on my normal generated from the high detail in max (reducing the blue levels to 128 so it overlays properly). And I multiply the lighting (AO) over the diffuse to add depth the D map.

Now, on the floor texture above, I also took the high mesh into Mudbox for a quick muck-up, as I felt the max work wasn't enough. I did the same with the brick wall in the background of the book case scene. Again, I don't spent much time in there, just quickly roughing things up.

This is a technique I've used for years, and thankfully, mikebart took the time to document his version of basically the same process. His results are excellent.
    http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=160978
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cholden thanks a million for that explanation. You wouldn't believe how much I learned from the simple statement "I start by modeling a brick" and seeing that wire. A fact that I knew in the back of my head, but was always trying to make my high poly meshes out of the same block, which discouraged me as I could never get the looks I wanted. Thanks for beating me over the head with that concept!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    hell yeah cholden, I can taste the salt on that brick texture.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hey one thing i notice from your high-low poly poop is that some of the nice jagged sillohettes you got there in the arch are missing from the low, i know it'll get a little messier in there with'em but it'll add so much.

im guessing that'll come in the nect iteration when your happy with overalll?

also floor lacks for having blue channel played with, love the subtle specular shines though
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Chris,

You ought to try taking your hipoly as it is, then merge it
    instead of submerging each subdivided brick into the core mesh. So that its all a solid connected mesh or as near as.

Then you can take it into Zbrush, still rely on the symmetry modifier
    in there so you can retain some texture optmization later when processing.

Anyway, if you do merge then zb and subdivide a few levels
    you can paint the erosion of the bricks into the grout
    and have it line up correctly so that when you split off
    >500,000 (250,000 in zb!) chunks to export to obj and use
    the cheap polycruncher addon in max to optimize by 70%.

You can also split off a version of your ZB model and lower
    the entire object to the half a million poly mark and export that as a whole back to max.

Then you can polycrunch that solid half a mill mesh down to your target polycount for the lowpoly and it will retain
    a little bit of extra articulate in the right spots so that
    when you process it will truly seem more next gen and support the deformations you made to the expensive version you needed to export in chunks.

At least, this is generally the way I work now and it saves building the low completly by hand and it avoids the sharp edges that trying to optimize too much by hand leads to.

Other than that its looking good, just though I'd suggest something extra to experiment with.

k.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Kev, I'm definately going to give that a shot.

Until next time, here's some stairs. Again, quick low poly, you can see from the silhouette it's just box stairs, nothing fancy.

d_stairs01.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Until next time, here's some stairs. Again, quick low poly, you can see from the silhouette it's just box stairs, nothing fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you'd allow me to make a comment on your stairs I would! The clear definition in the stones on the 2nd, 7, 8 10 and 11th stairs takes away from the fact that there is no break in the stone on the 1, 3, 4, 6 and 9th stairs. Somehow my eye expects to see at least some break in ALL stones, as if I never had a full sized flag stone to construct one entire step and had to settle with broken stones/sand/mortar for all steps.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what, now you're expecting everything to be perfect Saidin311? wink.gif

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/design/carlisle-house-30.jpg
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=261755

But seriously, it's all for variety sake. Could you enjoy those breaks the same if they were always there? Two grand areas aren't as grand unless they are connected by a small area to give a sense of scale. In the words of Butthead "If nothing ever sucked, how would you know when it was cool?"

Last night, Brome starts massaging me. Telling me I need to show my steps for everything cause I'm a pro and we pros need to help out when we can. So here's my steps for my steps

1. Layout of the design I want for my area (as seen in design pictured above)
    2. Modeled a brick with some cuts
    3. Laid out the bricks, offset a few, smooth them.
    4. Added a dirt layer mesh to show where dirt would build up on the steps. This was as simple as taking the mesh from step 1, smoothing it, add noise and manually correct where necessary.
    5. Took the steps into mudbox and quicked some rocky lines across the front, and pinched the top angle (where a step is the sharpest)
    6. Back in max, applied a diffuse stone to steps and dirt to dirt mesh.

After that its baking materials and applying them back onto step 1 for the final. That said, when I do complete the FINAL IN GAME LOW POLY MESH, I'll chamfer the inner dirt areas, add a few extra cuts/edges to the mesh and shake it up a bit to create imperfections.

d_stairs01_how.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice workflow, the end result looks great. People don't look at the ground all that much in games, but stairs.. they kinda have to look at them, thats a good thing or they wouldn't be seeing all the beautiful detail you put into them laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This stuff looks great Chris, nice work and thanks for taking the time to answer questions and comments about your workflow smile.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty much identical to my own workflow, great to see you helping by showing us this stuff though. The end results are tasty smile.gif
    Too many people rely on crazybump for enviornment normals work frown.gif Even a quick high-poly pass will often do the job much better.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You ought to try making all those stairs 1 smoothing group as it looks liek you are splitting the smoothing groups and that creates more expensive assets because of the way
    the engine doubles the vertex count when 2 smoothing groups
    are next to each other to get around the fact that the engine
    doesnt use smoothing groups.

An added bonus of using 1 smoothing group is that is makes for larger amounts of colour in the normals which forces more depth ingame.

k.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Looks fun Cholden. I am looking forward to playing it.

Thanks for the tutorial.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Ror,

how do you deal with the smoothing errors that occurs on the 90 degree angles then?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okkun: What smoothing errors?
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Interestingly enough it seems to work on the 2 sets of polys down the middle.

I'm getting this stuff all over though when dealing with hard surfaces and I have to split my UV's and smoothing groups to fix it.
  • Kevin_Johnstone
    Have you tried placing the model in a level, placing a lighting and rebuilding? The generic browser in UE3 is well named,
    the way to see what you are really getting with different processing methods and smoothing groups you experiment with
    is to place it in a level.

I generally fake, fudge or manipulate things as much as I can by trying to take advantage of the issues and strength's
    of the engine, such that I am aware of anyway.

For instance, I often force 1 smoothing group to do too much work and experience of doing this in certain cases
    has taught me not to worry about the GB or max previews
    because sometimes forcing 1 smoothing group to bend over too
    extreme an angle persuades the engine to do the same and I
    get more pop from the normals than I would have if I used
    multiple smoothing groups or chamfers to control a single
    smoothing group so its more appealing when viewed on its own
    in max in a vacuum from the notion that it will carry a normal map later.

I've tried to explain previously that the lowpoly mesh is better thought of as putty now, placing a putty like low
    poly in a level and rebuilding the lighting is like hardening the mesh.

I've sometimes unwrapped stairs like this and when thats
    finalized I add lots of edge loops on the flat faces so that
    I control the smoothing group the way I would with chamfering for proper articulate.
    Then I process, take the edgeloops back out and put it ingame and see if its helped me, again, fake or fudge the
    look of there being more there.

At least thats what I try to do in cases where its a very primitive form thats being processed. If you have UT3
    you can check out the concrete Liandri (LI_)bunker walls
    that are used in all the cold snow levels, they all carried
    hideously warped overextended smoothing groups and it made
    them look far better in the finished levels than being
    conservative and following the logical rules of smoothing
    group use yielded.

k.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    If you put a normal map from a hipoly source on that it will usually fix the smoothing errors. Sometimes you will need to chamfer the edge if it's sharper than 90 degrees

here's an example I made:
    2212867303_5a2de412fb.jpg

the three models all have exactly the same geometry. However the two on the right have 1 smooth group and the one on the bottom left has 2 smooth groups.

The way I made these.

1) first I made the basic steps you see in the bottom left
    2) then I set all the smooth groups to be 1 to make the model on the bottom right
    3) then I created a normal map using the model on the bottom left as the hipoly and the bottom right as the lowpoly.
    4) I then copied the model on the bottom right and applied the normal map to it with a directX shader. This gave it normals that looked like it has smooth groups when in reality there's only one smooth group.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Another reason for keeping 1 smoothing group -> You avoid having that harsh perfectly sharp edge where 2 groups meet that looks out of place next to nicely modeled normal map bits.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I guess in this instance that method makes sense since the details will tend to hide the errors and the object will most likely be baked in the level.

Having done lots of smooth surfaces on objects that need to be dynamically lit (vehicles) I've found this issue to be extremely time consuming to deal with.

*I'll end this de-railing here and take my issues where they belong smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you put a normal map from a hipoly source on that it will usually fix the smoothing errors. Sometimes you will need to chamfer the edge if it's sharper than 90 degrees

here's an example I made:
    2212867303_5a2de412fb.jpg

the three models all have exactly the same geometry. However the two on the right have 1 smooth group and the one on the bottom left has 2 smooth groups.

The way I made these.

1) first I made the basic steps you see in the bottom left
    2) then I set all the smooth groups to be 1 to make the model on the bottom right
    3) then I created a normal map using the model on the bottom left as the hipoly and the bottom right as the lowpoly.
    4) I then copied the model on the bottom right and applied the normal map to it with a directX shader. This gave it normals that looked like it has smooth groups when in reality there's only one smooth group.

[/ QUOTE ]

This example here has smoothing errors man, so you're just proving why you dont want to do this. Adding in a few extra edges is definately the way to go, esp. on an asset thats only like what, 20 polys? You could add a LOT more detail to that before you'de have any performance difference, at that point it is likely going to be the same hit to render 20 polys, or 200 polys. The hit you're taking here is from the amount of pixels actually being drawn on screen, because you're nowhere near causing any problems with amount of tris on screen.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    Well, thank you cholden, your descriptions of your process have helped me immensely. Though i have not quite gotten the results you have just yet, i'm getting closer.
    Though, something i noticed, at least within 3ds max, if you have normal maps applied to the materials in the high poly, they will carry over to the low poly along with the high poly normal mapping. Which takes out the need for overlaying normal maps, unless i am missing something.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if you add it after the fact you have a bit more control over it, without having to re-bake your maps. Say you want the fine bump detail to be a little less? If you're combining maps in photoshop all you do is turn down the opacity of the layer. If its in max you have to go back, edit your highres materials, rebake, etc.
  • Arrinicus Tempora
    Good job brother. This has really improved since you began working on it. I know, I was there.
  • Arrinicus Tempora
    That was for Chris, if it confused anyone. I didn't know there was another page
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'm in crunch, be back to this soon.
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    Thanks for this look at your work flow Cholden. I spent a few hours this last week duplicating it and got some cool results. You've encouraged me to start working in Zbrush.

stairs_render_flats.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made this sconce I never really liked, but it should be fine in the map since it's a small detail and I shouldn't worry about it too much. I will most likely backburner this project while I DomWar.

sconce01d.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    nice torch! loving the flames... i hope it animates as nicely as it looks there wink.gif
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Nice start Holden!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice holden. The flames could be a great deal brighter, though. Additive blending = awesome.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5638/choldenfireus1.jpg