Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Little Nemo

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
Working on a rendition of Little Nemo... critiques are always welcome.

little%20nemo.jpg

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    As in the ooooold comic strip character? Awesome!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    bit early for it's own thread, why not post in the sketch thread?
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm updating it as I go. I'm just posting early since the worst mistakes you can make are the early ones wink.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He looks a bit like a butch woman rather than a young boy. He reminds me of Roseanne Bar, for some reason. I'd just start over on the face, and nost of all I'd do a lot of thumbnails before you focus on one design. Loosen up the sketching a bit, and then go with a sillhouette/thumbnail that you like
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    He looks a bit like a butch woman rather than a young boy. He reminds me of Roseanne Bar, for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure on what features are making him look like a her. Any ideas?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He looks very chubby and wrinkly at the same time. I'd really suggest just starting over and trying to make every line count for something. It's all a bit dirty and squiggly.
    Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's just the most direct and clear way I can think of. Try to render the simple shapes (sphere for head, tubes for arms) first, and then defining the planes a bit better. Instead of the strict black/white treatment for detail, use that to get a quick thumbnail or silhouette down, and then try defining the rest with some more shades. Not that this is a bad way to work, but I think it just doesn't work with your style. For more control of your shapes, just start (very) small and upscale later. This'll force you to work on the grand shapes so it doesn't become so visually cluttered.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    I think its part your line work - the body looks like it hints at small breasts maybe, and the eyes look a bit feminine

But what was this character? A small child? If thats the case, aren't small children really quite androgenous (wrong word? genderless.) at any case? I think maybe this is one of those cases were the model in context will make more sense than formal elements - namely the gender. So what I'm trying to say is that maybe the gender of the character doesnt really matter formally if its a small child and clarified through accessories (voice/situation/clothes etc)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's based on a well known character though. Google for Little Nemo, it's really nice. There was a NES game too. Played it again the other day, and it's a lot more difficult than I remembered.