Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Harpooned - Japanese Cetacean Research Simulator

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Conor polycounter lvl 18
harpooned_logo_small.jpg

Harpooned is a free PC game I made with Torque Game Builder.

Download it at the website: http://harpooned.org

Trailer on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR4KN6EfX6M

Screenshots: (click for larger version)

harpooned_screenshot01s.jpg harpooned_screenshot02s.jpg

harpooned_screenshot05s.jpg harpooned_screenshot08s.jpg

Replies

• The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    that is hilarious, love the trailer
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor! good to see you posting at polycount again. I'll give this a go later. Have you sent it to any indie blogs? Tigsource might write up a nice post about it.

It's time those bastard whales were thought a lesson.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    MMMmmm... research burgers
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    creating awareness of japanese whaling with a simple video game. very clever. and a nice variation on the shoot'em up. good use of the torque engine. This will be downloaded when I get home.

i applaud you, good sir. \m/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, nice message. I hope you don't get trashed for making a statement.

Who knew whales ate almonds?
    It's a little weird that the wake follows the boat, but I totally understand the limitations of doing a proper wake. The wake animation you did was great btw =)
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea - wow, good to hear from you again too. It's been a long time I know. I guess I got caught up with real life or something, but the years have flown by without me posting much on Polycount at all.

ElysiumGX - that's exactly it. And I deliberately used a genre of game that's popular in Japan too.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Vig - yeah the wake isn't the strongest point, but I was limited by the fact that the player can move downscreen faster than the icebergs - which means the boat is reversing so the wake would have to flow upscreen and it just would have got too messy.

By the way - press F5 in game to see all the fancy debug stuff like force vectors and collision bounds. It'll give away all my secrets but it looks cool hehe :-)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Wowzers, what kind of programming knowledge does this take? I've got the urge to make a side scrolling platformer.

good game, btw, any chance of getting it translated to Japanese?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    great idea, really cool realization, but looking at the game itself, only the game not the message and maybe it'll destroy the message...

I'm missing powerups and speed, endbosses ands schools of dolphins crossing by and such things, but that is just if you look onto the gameplay only
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, that's completely ignoring the message.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wowzers, what kind of programming knowledge does this take? I've got the urge to make a side scrolling platformer.

good game, btw, any chance of getting it translated to Japanese?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much code knowledge Justin. It comes with a basic sidescroller to get started.

Makes me want to start doing some TGB stuff again.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    ElysiumGX - that's exactly it. And I deliberately used a genre of game that's popular in Japan too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, maybe in the mid 90's!

I would have to say upfront that I am for this games message, and I like your work conor so don't get me wrong. Translating this into Japanese would have zero effect on Japanese people, because they just wouldn't get it. To Japanese people unversed in what we think, eating whale & dolphin is just fine, and the irony of the games text wouldn't work. People don't give a hoot and whale burgers are popular here.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very smart, congrats for doing this. And it's actually fun to play!
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Justin - like IronHawk says it doesn't take much programming knowledge to use Torque. I started using it about a year ago and found it very easy to pick up. It uses a scripting language, so if you've written and Flash actionscript you'll know what to expect.

SEKNeox - I agree, from a pure gameplay point of view it's very simple. But I wanted to keep it short so I could complete it in a reasonable time (it took 5 weeks to make).

Hawken - That's kind of disappointing, I was considering doing a Japanese translation (if I could find someone who'd do it for free). What I don't get is how legitimate Japanese scientists can allow their government to call whaling science. Why are they not protesting in the streets?

Pior - thanks, it was important to me that the game be fun so that people wouldn't just play it because it was controversial.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work...I will give this a run through later...

And yeah..people have been whaling way back then.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    "Very smart, congrats for doing this. And it's actually fun to play! "

Pior tu sors ===========> laugh.gif

Yes hope number of download can help to reduce this problem...
    Maybe this game can be really famous and remember to the world Japanese do nice games but bad thing too...

I remember Tidus (FF10) killed some rabbits too.... joke! laugh.gif

Reedit : Hell I forgot --_-- : This is a good work!
  • HausFly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome work, the trailer cracked me up. I had briefly read about this issue awhile back but your game got me to look up a few more articles on this shady commercial whaling cover-up. Mission accomplished.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, Conor. The art in the game looks really slick and the icebergs look ace! Will have to give this game a go after work.

-caseyjones
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What I don't get is how legitimate Japanese scientists can allow their government to call whaling science. Why are they not protesting in the streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's thinly veiled as whale meat is quite popular here. Sure save the whales, but kill each other right? For all the bad it causes, to my mind it's a whole lot less evil than sending soldiers around the world to murder thousands of human beings. Still we make games about that but do we really have a message with the other type of killing simulators?
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Do you think we agree and see nothing wrong about our government sending soldiers to kill other people? C'mon, there are all kinds of crazy shit people are doing to protest against it.

Besides, those are 2 completely different issue that shouldn't be compare. Both are terrible. Because we kill other human doesn't make whale killing any less evil. Same goes for the other way around.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    +1 for thread derailment.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken - just because I haven't got around to making games that criticize human cruelty to other humans doesn't mean I don't care about it. In fact, I might make a game about that.

There are estimated to be around 10,000 Blue Whales left on Earth. Which do you think would be a greater loss, the death of 10,000 humans, or the death of those last 10,000 Blue Whales?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry I'm a humanist wink.gif anyway not meaning to derail, the topic is a controversial one, so talk is good.

I will personally go out and save a whale if you make a binary that works on my mac
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The whale thing is a bit topical in Australia at the moment. Theres some new laws banning the whalers from our waters and apparently a couple of the Sea Shepherd crew members got nabbed boarding one of the Japanese ships. As far as publicity goes, you couldn't have picked a better time.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Heh. The Japanese Government just got 'Harpwned'.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    hey cool, nice one!

essentially you could argue that the comparison of 10.000 humans compared to the last 10.000 doesn't hold up, both are just lifeforms (same reproduction also), but for most will relate to their own kind when it comes to value of life than the other.

Just like people of any specific country, national identities do the same to values.

I think that by calling this huge ship out to the ocean in the name of science as a cheap 'in your face' dirt hack towards an 'happy! no more questions' international community (this issue has been around for years) is inevitably going make someone point out: "But you are STILL killing whales with it!"

Great idea to play that thing, love the end of the levels, meat for further research lol great use of a game

I don't know about the awareness of 'things that could be quantified' in Japan and how public opinion is voiced and processed, but maybe we'll see some riots there, when realized that all the whales are gone, and they are not growing back, unless captain kirk ...
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    nice dark humor here, but this game sucks
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apocalypse polycounter lvl 18
    This was sent around work a couple of days ago which went over well with most of us smile.gif

I'm curious, how did MSN got a hold of you?
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    apocalypse - they phoned me at work. I mention on my website that I work at Tantalus so they called up and asked for me. Hopefully some other news agencies will pick up the story now that MSN have run it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome...I was able to play with my 360 controller on my pc as well. Just use the a button to shoot.

Awesome...
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    you ever get that text displaying bug thing figured out ?
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    PeterK - yeah, all I had to do was put the text on non-whole number co-ordinates and the weird glitches went away. It's definitely a TGB bug but I was able to work around it. It sometimes pops up on the score and combo text when they randomly end up on whole-number coords, but it's tolerable.

JesseMoody - it's much easier with an analog controller as you have more control over the ship's motion.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    That was awesome!
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just chirping in to say congrats, you just got Kotaku'd.
    http://kotaku.com/346958/satire-for-the-weekend-harpooned

I haven't played it yet - but I'm downloading it as I type smile.gif
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet. I'm hoping to get Slashdotted, but no luck so far.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Conor, nice job. Haven't played it yet but it looks pretty cool.

Just wanted to drop in and let you know (if you didn't already), I was watching G4 (TV Game network channel in US) last night for only a few minutes and they start talking about Japanese Whalers and a new game called Harpooned smile.gif

It lasted about 5 minutes with them eventually going into how it was a bad thing 'cause it made whaling look fun, at which point they dragged a cow carcus out on stage and started 'harpooning' it with broomsticks. There were about 10 guys in black masks along with the two hosts. This went on for about 5 more minutes until the end of the segment.

So you got coverage for 10 minutes on cable.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Baddcog - are you saying they really didn't get it? They didn't realise it was a satire? Or they did, but they decided it was pro-whaling anyway?
    I'd love to know if anyone has a recording of the segment, or if it's available to download. I don't get G4 here in Australia.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on hitting some of the major news outlets!

I haven't looked but a lot of the content on G4 gets posted on its site. I bet if its not up yet, it will be soon. Hopefully you won't have to sit through too much mind numbing idiot speak to find the bit your looking for.
    http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/index.html
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    I believe they do a repeat show on Saturdays so if anyone could Tivo the harpooned bit and let me know I'd be very grateful!!!
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job Conor laugh.gif I think it's awesome.

I showed it to a few friends, but I had to explain the satire of it to them. I guess there's always going to be dumb people who misinterpret it.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I only have infrequent access to cable TV, I was at someone elses house so it was suprising that I saw it for only watching about 10 minutes of the show. I usually will stop on that channel for a few minutes while I'm surfing.

I think they did get the satire of it. But they are susually a pretty smart @$$ show to begin with and they tend to make fun of everything. I actually thought it was a pretty good segment for that show. They talked about the popularity of it on the internet and showed a bit of gameplay. Actually sounded like the host really enjoyed it, but like I said they are smart @$$es so as evrything it turned into comedy. If they don't like a game they wouldn't have played it up that much, they would've said something like "It's OK but this and that sucked, don't waste the bandwidth..."