Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mini-Project : Slurp the alien

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jaco polycounter lvl 17
Slurp the alien, a fairly unintelligent creature who uses his penis-like forearms to feed, mate and even fight ( Cock slap!)

I started with a ZSphere concept (after doing some thumbnails in Photoshop), did some sculpting on the result and then used the topology tool to get a better base mesh.

ZConcept.jpg

Base-1.jpg

Wip sculpting so far, haven’t really touched the legs:

Wip1.jpg

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great character, quite interesting. I know you havent really touched the legs yet but in my opinion they look too normal and seem too generic in proportion and size, like an average guys legs just stuck on to an interesting character.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Ged, that's a good point. I'll definately change them, just not sure how yet.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    this is fun! the pose sells it for me.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Oh ZSpheres...how amazing they are...
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    slurp you say? delicious.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Only thing I would say is, he doesn't have a crotch...especially if it's gonna be using it's "phallic arms" to attack, he should have some crotch region, even if it's just there to be there.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    stimpack: Thanks!
    kaoticvisions: Indeed
    MAUL0r: smile.gif
    kaoticvisions: Agreed, crotch added

Update:

BodyWip2.jpg

FaceWip2.jpg

I might still change some of his proportions and add some small details but the sculpt is pretty much finished.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    LOL

"penis-like forearms"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool! I applaud your ability to create anything from ZSpheres hahaha =)

It reminds me a little bit of the Goon from PopEye.
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    he have an human ass but no mouth frown.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    He eats through his hands/arms/thingies ... like an ant eater. Or at least that's how I interpretted it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm yeah, how *does he eat.. some kinda 2 way system maybe..
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    if he has no mouth why an adams apple?
  • Rayne13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pop-eye the sailor man....
    hahaha kidding. smile.gif I like him. smile.gif Oh come on, the protoss from star craft don't have mouths either. laugh.gif
    Beautiful anatomy work though.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    awesome

needs a couple of straws for his hand-mouths
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    looks cool, nice
  • Piotr Słomowicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piotr Słomowicz polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah thats is rare skill indeed to do anything from zspheres. I tried and failed.. badly.

Anyway looks cool, what material are you using in last render?
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Jaco, I'm a fan of what you've done so far, and kudos for approaching a less run of the mill character design. I know you're pretty far along by now, so this probably won't matter, but I feel like if you're going to build this sort of goofy/awkward character that you should keep pushing the anatomy. I feel as tho the muscular buttocks and thighs don't really complement the rest of the body as they might, because they're almost too elegant. I did a quick photoshop and just cropped the model at the knees. See what you think:

slurplegs.jpg
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The forearms look like human ones, and it doesnt make any sense cause human forearms are all about moving fingers that this alien doesnt have any.. It even seems to have tendons (right word?) under its "wrists".
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    /me wonders what toomas' forearms look like tongue.gif
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the c&c guys!
    Zspheres aren’t impossible to use, they just take some getting used to. I find that previewing by pressing A, and then sculpting on the preview whilst I’m still busy working with the zspheres helps.

Piotr you can find the material here (second post, attachment)

Yeah notman’s right, he feeds through his arms, acid dissolves the food (this same acid can be squirted at enemies) and the liquefied food is then transported to his enlarged stomach area where it is stored. After the stored food has been used he obviously poops it out.

As for why he has an adam’s apple and apparently useless muscles on his forearms A)evolution fucked up B) it looks cool smile.gif Like a chicken’s useless wings, evolution has left Slurp with some useless bits of anatomy.
    Toomas you’re right. It does make some sense though, the brachioradialis , extensors and flexors in his forearms can be used to move the tip of his feeder around, although it isn’t the most effective way of doing it (The muscle structure of a snake’s body, or an elephant’s trunk would probably have been a better choice)

Thanks for the paint-over wake, I hear what you’re saying. I actually like the contrast between the big soft belly and the sharp/defined legs. ( the same contrast is happening with the forearms and upper arm). The fat on his belly isn’t from too many beers, it’s more like the hump on a camels back, that’s why the rest of his body is skinny.
    I like the proportions of your paintover though, I'll change the low poly accordingly.

I'm busy with the low poly, I'll post it soon.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    That paint over kinda breaks the shape and hurts the anatomy. I think you might consider further research before painting over someone's models.

although it does not hurt to provide feedback, I just think the feedback should be a bit more measured.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    what, like wake did something he should be ashamed of or something? looked like a helpful opinion to me.

i think this model is beautiful, and you're doing a great job. i love the way you're treating the anatomy, but i agree with wake to the extent that the legs could be a bit shorter than they are now.. at the moment something is feeling uncomfortable about the front views. the back isn't as bad in this respect though. i think that if you did shorten the legs, you'd certainly have to raise the ass. the length of the torso in wake's paint over is too long in contrast to the short legs.. imo.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I have to say Jaco, I'm not sure whether I'm entertained or terrified at the prospect of someone getting cock slapped with an arm-sized phallus that can eat things laugh.gif

Warner, you're right about the proportions bit. That edit was to illustrate the general idea rather than its precise execution.

and PeterK, what you said would be right if I was telling Jaco to work directly off of the image I provided. The quick photoshop I did was just to give an idea of what it would look like if the legs were shortened, and not to be used as reference, which I think Jaco understood.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    John Warner: Thanks. Yeah the front view has been bothering me for a while, because the legs look fine from the back or side. I've played around with the proportions of the legs, hopefully it looks a bit better now? Enlarging the feet helped quite a bit.

I've started painting the texture on the high poly, it will be baked with the normal maps later.

This is still very wip, just some quick painting with the alpha brushes. I like the arms and torso so far, the rest still needs some love. C&C will be much appreciated.

Texture WIP

ColorStart.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Coming together nicely Jaco, I like the paintjob so far. Is he gonna have any clothes or armor?
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks ironbear. I thought about clothing/armor but then I asked myself : How the hell is he going to put armor on if he has dicks for hands? smile.gif
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe his wife dresses him?
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    You don't wanna know what she has for arms...
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    like all the colouring except the feet though sure thats just cos its temp
  • Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stellar model dude, reminds me of Odd World a bit. Good work.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You don't wanna know what she has for arms...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments. A small update, more views soon:

Color2.jpg

Edit: The colours aren't showing up nicely in zbrush, so here's a shot with 100% self illumination to see the colours properly:

COlor.jpg

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    he needs a BIG vein winding up his forearms.

this guy is pretty sweet. I'd love to see a fine-detail pass on him.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Sectaurs, I'll make the veins bigger and make them stand out a bit more.

Started the low-poly:

LowP.jpg

I'll do most of it with the topo-tool, and then make it prettier in max.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17

Wire-2.jpg

It's 3 in the morning here and I'm going to bed
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    really cool! i wonder why you added all the toe detail though, it doesn't add much to the silhouette, i think that you could do with a lot less polies there. great stuff!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking sweet. He looks completely useless lol. Like he couldn't actually DO anything. Wonder how he would tie his shoe laces...

Great modeling dude.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Japhir : Thanks, toes fixed.
    Xaltar: smile.gif

Low-poly with normal map + diffuse. This is the first time I've tried painting my maps in zbrush. Some of it came out okay but his back looks like shit. Luckily it's pretty easy to repaint in zbrush and then rebake in xnormal again.

One.jpg

C&C on the texture so far would be much appreciated.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    For a second there, I thought "where the heck are his hands" but you know.. I kinda like him without hands... maybe little sucker thingies on the ends of his arms? heh..

As far as crits for the texture... Have some boldness with color and values. You really don't have any contrast going on. The smooth transition of color you have now is nice, but I see such things as freckles and whatnot that seem to be culled back a lot. It can help to add a little detail, but if you never get some hard edged contrast, the end result will be murky and generally hard to read.