Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

revised some edgeflow on my character

sir-knight
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
this is an ongoing struggle more than anything...

I discovered some joints wouldn't deform properly during a complex rig of this mesh (my first character) Been working on it forever though trying to learn each step of the process. Triangle count is in the filename, but I'm not overly concerned with it as long as it's not out of control.

Here's a link to the original mesh

http://dreamers-ink.ca/gallery/albums/3d/feliciaoriginal8438.jpg

And here's the new revised torso, shoulders, hips and various tweaks, mostly slimming of the limbs since I didn't like the proportions when she started animating.

http://dreamers-ink.ca/gallery/albums/3d/feliciarevised8526.jpg

So before I attempt to rig this again or unwrap it... will my new edge flow work? I've also hidden some loops inside the shoulder pads so the arms can move independent from the pads, I had these originally (I rigged the character to put into UT2k3 recently) but I took them out to try and lower polycount.

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Doesn't look like it will. try cutting it like in ex A:

part1_11.jpg
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    which joints are you talking about?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The knee and elbow areas. Right now you character has tube arms and legs, which will never deform on a low poly mesh correctly. As for the shoulders, it's hard to say with the shot posted sense the shoulder guards are covering them up, and it's not obvious whether they are an element or a part of the arm.

the pic above is from he xcloud tutorial btw (korean, but the pics should be enough to go off of):
    http://edu.cgland.com/index.html?mode=tu...e=2&search=
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    that pose kills me. plz stop with the T pose. it doesnt work haha. just think. if you texture that, then rotate those arms down. All that shoulder area is going to stretch to hell. thats why we make characters in a relaxed pose that is in the middle of raised like that, and droped to the side. also put some shape into those hands. no animator is going to toss in extra bones in the hands just to put the curve and form into them post modeling. in the end, just stand in front of a mirror and stand in a relaxed pose with ur arms slightly raised out to the side, and that is your model pose.

now go, and make awsome!
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    hehehe... that's good to know... well if stuff still doesn't work after this one I'll redo the arms as they're the only things left that are original on the model... hands I went through about 12 of them just trying to get them to rig properly and these ones still have the gaps in the fingers when you close the hand. They smooth nicely with meshsmooth though which is what I'll do if everything works on the model.
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    update... new hips work, knees work, ankles work... she has a fairly full range of motion on the lower body... arms hand hands work... her shoulders... well bugger. Still need some work on there :P

I'm changing the arm pose too, since I think some of the crazy distotion is happening because of odd stretching as mentioned, so no more T pose... should make stimpack happy wink.gif
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    update:

progress.jpg

Well I finally got some spare time to play with the rig, it works decently enough that I want to move on... since I'm not really considering this a port piece, I'll settle with it for now and implement new knowledge on the next model. (I want to play with reactor cloth next. )

This time around, I unwrapped the character again, this time using pelt... I love pelt... grin.gif Originally I mapped the character mostly with planar. And for shiggles, I just jammed all the UVs into 1 texture... probably not the best idea for a higher res model, but I wanted to see how much I could cram in.

So did I do pretty good on my game of UV tetris?

Also, anyone able to recommend some good/preferred texturing resources, tutorials, methods, papers, lessons, lectures, etc?

come on guys, unload your input on me.. you got a willing target dummy laugh.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Uhhhg... is that a mesh shmooth on a realtime character I see there??? BAD! BAAAAAD!!! tongue.gif
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe well it's not a realtime character... the poly count just falls in the range. This project isn't for a game per se, it's just a fun way to learn how to do things. I'll leave it off in the next render, just for you. laugh.gif