Home General Discussion

Soul Calibur 4: May the force be with you

mod
media-1.jpg
media.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334

need i say more?

I just can't wait to see vids. this game is looking amazing.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    holy shit that looks sweet !!
  • Quaggs
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure if I like this or not. they seem incredibly out of place in the Soul Calibur series, but given that Star wars does take place a long time ago in a galaxy far away, i guess its plausible that the actual Star wars time line could very well have taken place during earth's 16th century which is what I always assumed SC had been set in. Guess I'll just have to play the game as one of them to see if I'm cool with it.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Whaaat? are you serious Quaggs? they are bonus characters.. they don't need to make sense.

That's like arguing the validity of a giant walking piece of Tofu in the Resident Evil games.
  • bounchfx
    yeah man, they are bonus. remember SC2? Heiachi, Link, and Spawn?

it's extra funnnnnnnn!
  • Quaggs
    Offline / Send Message
    I like when things make sense. Then i don't have to make up my own reasons for them being where they are.
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool! Those don't look like archetypal Vader and Yoda poses though, more like Soul Calibur characters in Star Wars outfits. Maybe someone forgot to slip the animators a style guide. It's only stills though, wait and see..
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like when things make sense. Then i don't have to make up my own reasons for them being where they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you have to make up reasons for them being there? They're Star Wars characters in a Soul Calibur game... there's nothing more to it. That's it.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    laaaaaaame. i hope these take a lot of work to unlock, because if i get SC4 i sure as hell don't want any star wars in it.

unless yoda and vader both sport some big juicy hooters.
  • Mark Dygert
    April 1st already?
  • bounchfx
    [ QUOTE ]
    laaaaaaame. i hope these take a lot of work to unlock, because if i get SC4 i sure as hell don't want any star wars in it.

unless yoda and vader both sport some big juicy hooters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they are just for vs mode, I don't really want them showing up for fighting in 'story' mode (because i care about the story, right.)

on that note - anyone have any idea if they are bringing back Create a char? I think I read somewhere that they were but I'm not sure..

edit: apparently yes, you can make and trade custom characters online
    "New and Improved 'Create a Soul / Character'
    Customizations will have an effect on gameplay
    Created Characters can be traded online"
  • Quaggs
    Offline / Send Message
    I Heard that they were bringing it back and improving CaS. so hopefully different body types and heights and stuff and a slider for boob size ranging from big to Ginormous.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that yoda looks better than the one in episode 1
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I personally think those characters bring out more character than their movie counterparts...
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I mean like, don't you think they would win after the first slash? Their lightswords are made out of laser beams that can cut through metal like a hot knife through butter. Those other characters only get dumb 'power' effects when they perform special moves or something. A lightsaber is always powerful and uber and shit. Then the force powers...I mean how can they even put in such powerful force wielders in a game where other players have to like go up in your face to slash you? Vader and Yoda are so totally going to own because they can choke them from a distance or force push them out of the ring. No contest there.

XXX Bonus:

There should be a special "force simulation mode" where the player can control the SW chars and use their jedi mind tricks to like, make the female fighters take their clothes off and stuff. A special "force hand" can be used to grope and prod them at the player's leisure. I'm pretty sure I have seen other successful fighters do this before...
  • bounchfx
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    From a community built up around ppm's I can't believe anyone here would like less characters in their games!

Moar for me please!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    "how can we sell this sequel?"

"hey, lets put star wars stuff in it, that sells well right?"
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Seriously I can't believe some of you guys are seriously not liking this.

Last one it had a Spartan from the Halo universe. Come on let's get serious. They always add in some crazy other video game / comic / movie characters as add ons.

I think the Yoda model looks bad ass.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    that was dead or alive with the spartan.
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    GAME RUINED BY CORPORATE TIE-IN

Yeah i'm aware of SC2's but this just takes the cake and steps into the territory of retarded.
  • bounchfx
    [ QUOTE ]
    GAME RUINED BY CORPORATE TIE-IN

Yeah i'm aware of SC2's but this just takes the cake and steps into the territory of retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

as long as the game itself is solid and fun I totally disagree.

it's already a winner in the visuals dept. and it has an improved create a char and online play/sharing. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

if the main story mode is good (at least as interesting as the previous adventure type mode things) and it doesn't have any 'balance' problems like sc3 supposivly did it's going to be an amazing game.

I think it's brilliant using the SW characters. It's odd, but hell, everybody wins.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    that was dead or alive with the spartan.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh? my bad...
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Sure this is just a corporate trick to get us to by the game, but IS IT NOT AWESOME?
    Honestly.
    I mean i'd rather they just made an entire starwars fighting game instead (with characters from both sagas, and various comic characters)
    But this is fucking sweet, still.
    I for one look forward to punting yoda with mitsurugi
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it'll be fun, no doubt.

I can't hardly wait for SC6 when they bring out popular mascots such as Joe Camel and the Michelin Man.

0007fae7.jpg

Michelinman.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the vid earlier today and thought the visuals looked really nice, then out of nowhere I hear Vadar's breathing and thought... NO FUCKING WAY... WTF! Epic fail!
    Jesse, you ask how can some of us not like it? You're a Star Wars nut, you'd probably eat Star Wars Jedi Astro Pop cereal if such a thing existed, only because its Star Wars. I don't mean to sound like its a personal attack on you, but its something you enjoy so you'll quite easily accept Vadar and Yoda in SC. I personally think its lame. Its just a gimmick and judging by some of the responses in this thread... It has worked.
    That aside, it does look very pretty.

-caseyjones
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I wish they would use their heads and at least use something a little more relevant like say lord of the rings characters. Thing about it; playing as a troll (Asteroth), an ogre (nightmare), a ring wraith, or one of the people in the movie. Its fits the time period and would look fucking sweet!

None the less Yoda looks sweet! I cant wait to get my ass kicked by my wife as she cuts me in half with Yoda.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know, this smacks of something retarded I'd probably do if given the chance.

of course, you'd probably all call it corporate whoring then, too.

i'd rather have c3po, to be honest

lolz @ hating star wars is cool now
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl brings up a good point about fusing these two worlds together, and the complications there in.

maybe they will use that Real-time softbody mesh deformation, for a classy slice and dice
  • bounchfx
    I mean, fuck, it's not like you have to play as them*
    , and they probably won't be in whatever main story. I sincerely doubt vader will be the end boss (maybe bonus boss)?

*remains to be seen.

complaining about extra characters (especially this cool) just confuses me
  • Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I want SC with only SW characters and location
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Holy fuck some of you guys are stupid. The game is ruined because Yoda is in it? It fucks up the storyline? Are you serious? Yes, Yoda being in the game will completely ruin the immersing experience I get from fighting 12 consecutive people with the occasional cut scene that is poorly translated from Japanese. Then, it will fuck it up again when I play a different character and the EXACT SAME SHIT HAPPENS TO ME! In SC2 that one bitch with the rings must have really hated all the characters, because she fought every one of them on the exact same platform floating down the exact same river. Come to think of it, she said the exact same thing to all of them too. Must have been a coincidence, because the epic writers behind Soul Calibur couldn't possibly have ever thought it was just a fighting game.

Yoda and Vader will be fun as hell to play and they look amazing.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yoda in one of the best melee fighting games to date is fucking badass. Can't wait.

http://media.1up.com/media?id=3467626

• adam
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    Lame. The fight sponsors obviously told the pair use their force powers to block their lightsabers from actually hitting the other fighters. For shame game devs, for shame frown.gif
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Holy fuck some of you guys are stupid. The game is ruined because Yoda is in it? It fucks up the storyline? Are you serious? Yes, Yoda being in the game will completely ruin the immersing experience I get from fighting 12 consecutive people with the occasional cut scene that is poorly translated from Japanese. Then, it will fuck it up again when I play a different character and the EXACT SAME SHIT HAPPENS TO ME! In SC2 that one bitch with the rings must have really hated all the characters, because she fought every one of them on the exact same platform floating down the exact same river. Come to think of it, she said the exact same thing to all of them too. Must have been a coincidence, because the epic writers behind Soul Calibur couldn't possibly have ever thought it was just a fighting game.

Yoda and Vader will be fun as hell to play and they look amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the bitching comes from interjecting lightsabers into the SC universe. Because as mentioned, lightsabers cut through anything but themselves.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    So we're bitching that lightsabers should cut through anything, but has anyone noticed when you hit someone with a sword, a staff, or a giant fucking axe no limbs go flying off and no one's body gets split in two? There's not even any blood! WTF THE GAME IS RUINED!

And why the hell do the swords glow colors and have lighted trails and shit for no apparent reason? Why does no blood shoot out, and how do they fight just as well after they've been hit in the face 57 times with a sword? How can someone hold up their weapon in the exact same spot while blocking attacks that target different parts of the body? Why does Ivy have monstrous sweater melons that grow by the year and an outfit that shrinks by the year?
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    if i want a star wars fighting game i'd play a star wars fighting game

and not a star wars playable character in a unrelated fighting game

that's dumb and is clearly a marketing shoot-off to get the kids wanting it to death. sure it looks COOOL but does it really work? no. In 10 years we'll desperately forget this game even existed (as if ivy's huge implants weren't already a turn off for some) and on a mention it'd be 'woah that was retarded the hell's namco thinking'

but hey they don't care. popular franchise tie-in = more money = etc!!! nothing left to 'innovate' on to their own knowledge.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    who cares as long as the gameplay is fun? tongue.gif
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    who cares as long as the gameplay is fun? tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded =) Spawn was pretty damn fun to play as, a little imbalanced even.

Anywho I'm sure if SC were opened up to character mods, Darth would find his way in there anyway.

My only complaint is I like my Darth slow-moving and regal. He looks nimble in those screenies.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'm gonna beat the shit out of vader with mitsurugi

--edit
    he's ps3 exclusive, guess i'll have to settle for butchering green midgets
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i do believe they have lightsabers in smashbrothers or is that something else ?
  • Mark Dygert
    I don't get it... I like Darth in my quake but not my SC? As long as they are extra characters you don't have to unlock unless you really want to, who cares?
    I thought this was a joke, the legal wrangling and Lucas money whoring would be enough to scare off most studios from tossing in Star Wars characters as extras, not to mention the rabid fan-boi backlash of which we've seen first hand...

[ QUOTE ]
    --edit
    he's ps3 exclusive, guess i'll have to settle for butchering green midgets

[/ QUOTE ]
    Lame, this shit bothers me more then the popular character tie-ins.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Bonus characters often don't make sense in games. I think the models look amazing, and graphics are tight, and the Soul Caliber gameplay will likely kick ass as always. If you don't like StarWars, don't play as those characters. It's not exactly rocket science here...
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Star Wars fan or not. They look bad ass. If you don't like them then don't use em. It's like people bitching about the M-14 in COD4 being a crap gun. DON'T FUCKING USE IT.

Jesus I swear some of you would bitch about winning the lottery because it was too much money or some stupid shit.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Because as mentioned, lightsabers cut through anything but themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

False!

Cortosis, among other minerals, is saberproof. I think immersion in cortosis will actually interrupt the power flow and turn off the blade, and a cortosis weave in armor or weaponry will make it pretty impossible for a saber to cut.

/what, that wasn't nerdy at all. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cortosis-weave
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I hope the wikipedia entry is incorrect because their roster is a bit light, no Yungsung, Xianghua, Lizardman or Cervantes to name a few, I'll pass if they aren't in there. Thanks for spending dev time on Darth & Yoda tongue.gif
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    LoL!

Oh snap it looks like the game can make sense after all!

And all of my posts are of the utmost sarcasm, boyee!!! It is neat that they are in there, even though they are out of place, but hey who gives a shit, oh wai-...

Marketing from both sides of the Pacific hope that the fan turnout will be so high that there will be a demand to make a true SW fighting game based off these two test, err uhh, bonus characters in the game. No offense to the devs of SW:Masters of Terra Cotta, but I am sure these guys could make a lot better SW fighting game, and here's hoping it will even go that far... shame that they are pitting Ivy's melons against a wrinkly green raisin with a laser pointer...

And that said, I am sure Lucas and marketing crew grew jealous over the fact that a certain solid man-humping, mech killing, crotch grabbing government operative could make a cameo in a very stylized and humorous fighting game with no one really caring anyway, well maybe except sonic of course crazy.gif
  • bounchfx
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope the wikipedia entry is incorrect because their roster is a bit light, no Yungsung, Xianghua, Lizardman or Cervantes to name a few, I'll pass if they aren't in there. Thanks for spending dev time on Darth & Yoda tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it also says not all the characters are announced yet...

and I'm very sure that they have their own characters taking priority over the star wars ones*. It's sad to see that there are going to be console exclusive ones, but hell, maybe DLC will add more like some are guessing.

and leilei, i really doubt that people will 'just forget about it', one, because it's soul cal, people still talk about the first and second, so if they don't fuck the balance up like the third (at least with the main characters) then they are pretty much set, plus, FUCK, it has star wars characters, which pretty much guarantees it will always be talked about as a kind of 'wtf were they thinking omg lol' game, but in a positive light if it turns out as good as the other soul cals.

*not necessarily true
  • Mark Dygert
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you don't like StarWars, don't play as those characters

[/ QUOTE ]
    Or... if you really don't like Star Wars have fun beating the midichlorians out of them.