Home Technical Talk

my wacom has the jitters...

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
moose polycount sponsor
I recently found my wacom pen buried at the bottom of some box with art-supplies in it... go figure (Wacom 3), and after reinstalling the drivers the cursor goes absolutely ape-shit when i try to use it.

It is some sort of interference i think... this used to happen when i got too close to my old monitor. However, i have a new monitor now (lcd), and to my knowledge not around other interfering objects. frown.gif

have you guys ever had pens break or flip out and start twitching on you? The shaking happens less and less as the pen is closer to the tablet, but never is motionless.

I've never seen this happen in the years of using Wacoms... so it's vrrr frustrating, been wanting to do some arts at home frown.gif

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I've noticed that my wacom sometimes gets jittery when the pens near the keyboard. See if moving the wacom away from their does anything.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    is your keyboard wireless? I dont have a wireless keyboard/mouse, and i use my tablet on my lap, generally under the desk or slightly back from it. I'm usually a good distance from the keyboard - but will try that out smile.gif

After more investigating, it isnt the tablet itself (works fine @ office). gotta figure out if my wireless router is makin some bad interference, or something else frown.gif gheetoooo
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    Mine use to do it if I was too close to my monitor. Took me a while to figure that one out.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Actually, my keyboard isn't wireless. It's strange becuase my wacom has the same issues when near either my desktops keyboard or my laptops (built-in) one. Also have driver issues w/it all the time, but I doubt that has anything to do with it...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    did some more tests last night:

the keyboard had no effect, went as far away from it as i could to no avail.
    I've had the monitor issues in the past with my old Apple Studio Display (old tube monitors), but I've got a flat screen now.

my last idea was to test my COAX cable. I was getting ground loop interference downstairs with my PS3, and i thought id start with that when testing equipment. With it plugged in, the cursor jitters between 2 and 6 pixels on the screen (and in the WACOM diagnostics). With the COAXIAL cable unplugged... the cursor jitters between 8 and 12 pixels. Don' make much sense to me.... but i think this may be more of an electrical interference thing. frown.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    hehe. I was just now preparing to post the same problem in this forum, and saw your thread. I'm having this issue, and it's a huge burden on me for the next couple weeks.

I moved into this apartment back in August, and since then my Intuos3 6x8 has a jittery cursor that destroys all my line work. It didn't do this before, and it wasn't packed during the move, so no damage done. I've tested it without my wireless on, but it could be someone else's signal. I only have LCD monitors. It seems to work fine on my laptop while away, which is what I've done the past several months. I'm not certain whether sitting next to a window has any influence. I need to figure this out soon. Could it be wireless phone interference? That would interfere with my speaker system when receiving calls.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Mine used to do this as well. What fixed it for me was switching to newer drivers after a format. Was very annoying when it was happening though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done every test I can think of on two machines. It's not a driver issue. I've tested every driver available. It's not the coaxial cable outlet behind my machine. What's odd is when I uninstall the driver, so the pen acts like a mouse, there's no shaking. The only option I can think of to solve my problem is to replace the pen, which is $70. Good luck to you Moose, and post if anything works for you.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Just the fact that the pen acts normally when you uninstall the driver makes me think it is a driver issue. I bet there are files left over from the uninstall that don't get rewritten with the new drivers. That is why the format helped me because everything was wiped clean. A little time formatting might save you $70.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, you may be right. Yesterday, I tested the tablet on my work PC, and it functioned perfectly fine with the latest drivers. So it can't be the pen. At home, when i uninstalled the drivers, I was sure I removed all the registry entries as well. I need to find info on exactly what other files remain after driver uninstall.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Anything that generates an electromagnetic field can disrupt the tablet. The only real solution is to replace your monitor with and etch-a-sketch and your computer with a bamboo monkey cage. Then your wacom will work fine (as long as the monkey doesn't generate an electromagnetic field).
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    shit. ill have to toss out my new Monkey-bot-9000 frown.gif balls.

Ive done the same type of stuff elysium - i installed the same driver at the office and it works great, which tossed out my "bad pen" idea. will try nuking all of everything associated with Wacom from my machine then reinstall.

The one thing i haven't tried, which just occurred to me, would be to try it on my macbook... hrm.

will provide updates as i ge'em!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    lil update.

I found my Wacom1 (yay for being a packrat), and hooked it up. It works fine, no jitters, proper sensitivity, yadda yadda.

Damn Wacom3 pos's! frown.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    if the tablet's are sensitive to the kind of interference you get from wireless networks, then it could indeed be some signal outside your influence. i recently got myself a notebook and was amazed at the number of wireless networks that the machine picked up in the (not too densely populated) neighborhood.

my wacom (intuos1) at work has a bit of cursor jitter as well, not annoying enough to get in the way somehow. no wireless network active in the building afaik and nobody uses CRTs or wireless keyboards in my office.
    intuos2 at home is jitter-free.