Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

speeder car revision

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
apocalypse polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, I've been working on this car on and off for a day or 2. I was really happy with it until I showed a mate and didnt get much of a response from him. What did you guys think?
car1.jpg
car1-wire1.jpg
car2.jpg
car2-wire.jpg
Thanks for your help smile.gif

Replies

• Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Looks to be more of a lunar surface vehicle than a vehicle built for speed. The big wheels, bare/skeletal look, and big windowed cockpit give me that space impression. Cars built for speed tend to have aerodynamical designs. Also, where's the engine? I'd think it would take a lot of power to move that thing around.

As a speed car, the design is not working for me at all. But as a rocky lunar landscape crawler, it's a good start.
  • HEx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEx
    I think it's awsome!
    Like the design, it's kinda original i think.
    .. like a moon speeder car tingy. At any rate, it's all up to each and everyone to decide what's cool, and this style maybe wasn't your friends cup'o'tea if you know what i mean,
    Keep it up!
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the advice guys. I hadn't really thought about it being aerodynamic. I guess I don't see it as being something built for tremendous speed (even though I called it a speeder). In my head, I see it as a futuristic muscleish vehicle that would speed passed enemy frontlines and inflict damage on the unprepared enemy.

I've added an engine and weapon to hopefully get it looking meaner.

engin_gun1.jpg

engin_gun2.jpg

Looking back at it, I think I will rework the cockpit and I still have to figure out where the ammobelt will lead and where the ammo is supplied. Thats still to come though.

Hopefully this looks better?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Good lord... a weapon that big would cause the durn thing to suddenly spin out backwards the first time it's fired..
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    maybe rethink the gun, something that fits into the style of the vehicle more.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    The gun's kind of a burden for a vehicle like that if its for speed....you should definitely research the likes of some similar looking cars like the Ariel Atom 2...that car also have bare skeletal form yet can reach exceptional speed.

Also for a vehicle...keep in mind the wheels should be a little rounder as wheels can make or break a car.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i think it looks awesome ... screw realism
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    looks like lego to me^^,
    give it a texture
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    there's realism and there's believable.. and my sense of balance says that thing's gonna fall over

edit: i think its a cool model tho smile.gif. but I reckon a rethink of the size and position of the gun would be good, or just placing an ammo drum the other side to balance it maybe
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I think it's obvious that concepting my own ideas isnt a strong point. But I'm learning atleast.

I have a few updates:

ammodrum3.jpg
    The ammo drum on the other side was a great idea, Rooster. So I added the ammo drum, made the gun smaller and repositioned it to the middle of the car.

I do miss the stupidly oversized gun though frown.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i liked the bigger gun
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    me too. I'm trying to achieve a happy medium with everyone smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    bah dont change it just for us unless you agree, we're just saying what *we would do really smile.gif
    edit: for the record, i reckon big gun but keep the ammo drum to offset the weight
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks more balanced now. Still with the size of the gun it's more of a cartoony concept. That's not bad if that's what you want.

I think the base model could go wither way, cartoony or realistic and that deffinately depend son the size of the accessories and textures.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, it looks like a toy to me. that strip with the bolts holdin the ammo can says "erector set", not high end military hardware. scale is a bitch, but when it comes to things reading as intended, it makes all the difference. pick a direction for this thing and go with it, esp before you uv and start painting.
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's good to get everyone's perspective on this, thanks for taking the time to post your opinions smile.gif
    The whole toy thing has never occured to me, I was hoping that if I put a human figure in there, it will help with the scale better. I think I will make a mechanical arm for the gun and ammo drum. The erector set strip came from a mount bracket from a ref of a minigun. If it reads as lego then its gotta go.

not really an update, I resized the gun a little but thats it.
    carscale.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i think texture will go a long ways towards selling the scale... appropriate sized rivet butter scraped over your toasty modelling.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think a lunar buggy should have independent suspension, having your suspension fixed like that will only cause it problems.

endless inspiration is "freedom", check it out
    981g.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    other problem is that minigun would be much help it would only fire in one direction , it is stuck at the vehicle so if you go sideways you can avoid it , or the car has to speed , and turn for it to aim. the ammo drum for tha thing would also have to be HUGE since miniguns are bullet eaters.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    The rotating part of the minigun, ie the barrels look bolted to the side of the vehicle smile.gif Apart from that I like the design, doesnt look speedy, but definately cool!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    At this point...some headlights, engine showing and exhaust would be awesome.

Model a bunch of bullets around it if you want.
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    car_posed1.jpg
    A bit more progress. The ammo belts are a bit much but I wanted to see how it would look and what it would do to the poly count. I managed to rig the belts to move with the gun but overall it won't work with a full range of motion that I wanted. I might have to reconsider the whole minigun thing and make something else that won't need an ammo belt.

Heres a test of the arms range that I was experimenting with which also explains the range a bit better than a pic smile.gif
    Arm range test
    its not my finest animation work smile.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Looks cool with the guns to the side but with them to the top it looks very strange, it would topple down to the side very easy. Maybe the top thing would be just for standing still and shooting aircrafts?
    Really like the design of you car but if it really should be a speeder car the miniguns will always look displaced, if you want to make something else you could try to put a homing missile launcher in the front.
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops, forgot to mention that the guns standing upright in that pic is just the "modelling stance" for the car so I can map easier. The guns will naturally be by the side of the car.

Also I think I'm going to drop the whole speeder thing and just have it some sort of futurisic combat car.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    What's cooler than a gigantic minigun?

..two gigantic miniguns! yay
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the arms animation is cool. but doesnt look like it work with ammo belts.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    man, I think this is a really cool model, but those mininguns are pretty silly. From the size of the bullets on the belt, there are like, what, 30 bullets in the ammo drum? The buggy itself is kickass, and I love it. You need to do something to your gun(s), though. My suggestion would be to shrink them down and have an ammo canister that actually attached to (or closer to) the gun itself:

Maybe sorta like this:
    http://www.mahq.net/Mecha/Gundam/08thmsteam/lineart/ms-07-gatlingshield.jpg

Then you could try something else as opposed to two of the same gun on each side, too. Maybe a radome or missle pod on one side. I think that would give it more visual interestitude than two of the same gun.

Cool radome:
    http://www.gearsonline.net/gundam/sentinel/deep_striker/striker.php

Just my two cents, amigo.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I`d ditch the mini guns all together. I know a lot of people like mini guns, and I`m not saying you have to ditch them 100%, but at least make them look more stylized and futuristic. keep the belt feed, keep the spinning barrel concept, but try and wrap em up in some futuristic paneling that closely match some forms going on in the vehicle.

also I just want to say that I admire your willingness to iterate on this.

the animations give it some nice life too- keep it up man!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    haha didnt think too much of this until i saw the size of those guns, ye ha

id suggest saving a few polys by making the bullets from alphas strips, or they could mesh swap to alphas with animated UVs when firing just imagine the pile of casings left behind!