Home General Discussion

Backups DVDs vs CDs

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
I was wondering if backing up all my data to dvds R instead of cd r was safe. I have heard and read that backing up files to dvds isn't as reliable as to a cd. I was just wondering what you thought about this. One of my problems I have is some of the video tutorials I bought are over a gig so backing them up to a cd is kind of impossible im so cases or very annoying. Thanks
Alex

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    If i had to back up something big or important i would buy a hdd for that. Much more reliable, comfortable, faster, takes less space and so on and on..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    DVDs work fine, but I'd always backup in duplicate (multiple DVDs). Also, are they just videos? Ones that could be converted into a playable DVD?

The only thing I caution about DVDs is that some people still don't have DVD drives. So, if you want to share them with anyone, they may not have a drive for it. It's way more common to have the CD-ROM (duh) wink.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well they are not really playable on a regular dvd only a computer, which is kind of annoying. They come with flash interfaces which make a bit annoying for my taste. Thanks for the feedback though. I guess I'll make several copies of the dvds just to be safe.

Alex
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Always store in more than one media...CDs are common and cheaper to get...HDD definitely.

I have another giant HDD for all the past work I've did and a portable one to carry around with a stack of CDs...DVD's are much of a waste.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I would go for just DVDs when backing up data. They are generally cheaper than CDs, too, and reliability is a non-issue today as long as you don't pick the cheapest no-name DVDs.

For critical files (such as original source files to artwork and models) I'd also go with an offsite backup option. This used to be viable for corporate entities only, but with a combination of Amazon's S3 and JungleDisk, you have an affordable solution anyone can use with ease.

In the end, any dirt easy cheap backup solution is better than none at all. While HDD recovery software such as Spinrite is amazing, it's never 100% guaranteed smile.gif
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    I am looking into this as well but leaning toward a western digital removable / portable HDD. Wish you well in your backing up endeavors.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen 500GB hard drives for under $100 and 4GB USB sticks for $20-40. Online storage isn't hard to get either. I've pretty much ditched disc media entirely -- it's such a hassle in comparison. Limited space, can't rewrite data, takes up room, easily damaged...

I put most of my stuff on my PC HD and external HD with the really critical stuff backed up online too.

As for DVD being unreliable compared to CD's, what is this 1997? Seriously. I'd say CD's are worse now as they are being phased out and so cheaply produced (it's not unsual to buy a stack of CD's that won't burn at all).
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Box.net and some online storage is awesome when you're say traveling around and in case your laptop or HDD ends up lost.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the feedback. I have been keeping my large files in my external hardrive, but I get paranoid it might fail. wink.gif I'll probably just save up and buy another huge drive. The usb 4 gig stick seems to be a bit easy to break, my mother destroyed her four gig stick when she didn't properly shut down her mac. I bought a one gig stick just to take files around when I travel.

Alex
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    HDD...and Gmail for smaller files.