Home Technical Talk

[Resolved!] UT3, FBX + Maya 7 importing woes

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
So I've been following the folowing tutorial:
http://www.ut40k.planetunreal.gamespy.com/unreal-Dateien/UT3_tutorials.html

And have had a couple of problems using Maya 7.0 and actorx.

I've been using the FBX rigs supplied by oXYnary, located in the following thread: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=249159&page=1&fpart=1&vc=1 (thanks again Husch for directing me to the thread)

I first import the FBX using the following settings (and I've used a lot of variations on these settings as well ...)

fbxsettings.jpg

So the fbx file imports like so:

ut3import.jpg

with joints showing and the model is bound ect. I tried importing my own modeled head, bound it to the root node of the rig and also got it to work in the editor.

I use the following options in ActorX:

axsettings.jpg

The tutorial says to use the selection options ... but for some reason they are greyed out in the maya options (so If I do get a complete character I guess I'll have to delete the remainder of the mesh and import them 1 piece at a time)

And I export the "save mesh/refpose" animation backage, and I import it into unreal ed:

In the viewer, the model shows up perfect:

ineditor.jpg

but as soon as I apply some default animations to it, things get a little wonky:

wtf.jpg

The most noticable problem, is with the legs. When my character does the pelvic thrust he has nothing constraining him to the ground, and he sort of glides and floats freely in the air.

When I show my exported FBX's bones in the editor:

fbximportrig.jpg

and compare it to a "healthy character: he is missing the following areas and bones.

workingrig.jpg

I'm not sure if this is a problem with importing, I'm not even sure that these are actually bones or if they're IK handles.

The following nulls appear in maya, but really don't have any joints/IKs:

nulls.jpg

So I've tried a lot, I have a feeling it's how I'm importing using the FBX plug-in, and am wondering if I should just try with newer version of maya frown.gif

(oh and a note, i did delete the Bip Root and the Bip01 bone like the tutorial instructed)

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Did you tick the 'assume maya coordinates' box when importing? Don't nkow if it'll help, but worth the try.
  • animeboyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah :-( I actually made a screenshot of me clicking it, but didn't pop it in.

I'm kind of down because if I had a bettwe understanding of rigging in max I think I would have solved this by now.

10 bones are missing from the import. And they are the bones either acting as IK handles, or as constraints for the character so he/she's standing on the ground.

I just said F^&* it and have resumed the rest of the tutorial, but everytime I try to reference mypackage and model it makes UT3 crash (which is actually kind funny ....)

Thanks for the help though, I look forward to reading your importing notes when you post them.

edit: Did you use maya to import by chance?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ensure that the entire b_hierarchy is exported.
    You might have to check that "hierarchy as bones" option to get the root and hand bones exporting right.
    Also turn off "assume maya coords" if you have already set your prefs to have z-axis up.

If you've done that in maya, you've basically done the work of the "assume maya coords" for UED, but if you leave it checked it will still rotate your model 90 degrees on import and so generate the error you are seeing when you attach the animations. (used to happen to me in ut2k4 too)

Edit:
    Ok never mind most of that.
    I just went through the process myself and Actorx really isn't getting the heirarchy thing, so heres a fixed (all bone) skeletons for maya 7. Once you rig something to this skeleton it will work. yes I tested it first.
    Download Skeleton
  • animeboyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Vailias! I really appreaciate your hard work and rig!

I feel somewhat bad flooding the Technical Forums with all of these questions :-( All my problems are relatively easy to solve, I just lack a lot of experience importing characters into higher end engines. Unreal 2K4 was pretty easy to import into.

Thank you again for adding all of those extra joints, I just had no idea where they were supposed to be located, parented, orientated, ect. I'm just not that experienced with rigging in Max or how it would translate into maya (mabye I should get to reading my "art of rigging" book :-( )

but thank you so much again! I'll see what happens. I allready exported, and all of the animations look great laugh.gif
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DevilBlackDeath polycounter lvl 9
    HI men, i downloaded the fixed skeleton but when I import it in UnrealED, b_LeftWeapon and Right are linked to b_Root, so they don't move, the weapon doesn't move either in game, I verified, the Weapons bones are linkled to Hands in Maya, I have Maya 8.0,can you help me to fix it and can you do a fixed version for Krall and Female please(if you can!!)

I'm sorry for my english, I'm french. smile.gif
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UP again! Sorry for posting in a resolved thread but there is a link with the subject so help me please!!! wink.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the B_LeftWeapon is linked to b_LeftHand in the fixed skeleton.

However, the weapon will not move, or point, properly if you do not create socket definitions on your custom model in unreal ed.

I need to fix a few things on the male skeleton anyway. While I'm at it I'll make maya compatible versions of the other two. Thanks for reminding me. smile.gif Should have them up later today.

OH and your English is quite clear. Much better than my French so don't worry.
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much, yes I see the b-LeftWeapon was parented to b_LeftHand and the same for right so when hand move, weapon do it too, but when I import it in UnrealEd the b_...Weapon bones are linked to b_root, why the ed do this by itself, it causes the b_...weapon bones to not move WITH the hand, what they should usually do if they're linked to b_...Hand but the editor redirect the parent tree, so even if I create a socket this one will not move because the bone doesn't move. I only create an head so no any socket is needed, it's with other parts. And don't worry, the french is very hard, ourselves, the frenchs, we have always some problems with it. laugh.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    took longer than expected. Not the process itself, just getting to sit down and do it but at long last I've got a pack of skeletons that will export properly from Maya 7.0+ to UT3. positions and rotations included.

grab it here if you want it.
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Than you very much I try it now and tell you if it's ok!!!
  • DevilBlackDeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything's clear, it's so cool, thank you, I love you(in a completely professional way laugh.gif). Thank you again, I had many projects of model in progress, the skeleton was the only thing that was missing. Thank you I will finish all those project then i'll try my chance on the official Epic forums!!! shocked.gif