Home General Discussion

"Lock and load"

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
Just curious.. As a non-military Dude - what does it actually mean?? Is the 'lock' locking the bolt open to receive a magazine (which is the load part).. Or what?

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i take it as locking your magazine in place and loading the first bullet in the chamber.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone who's not in a movie actually say that in seriousness?
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    Like six years ago when I went to camp (I was a mere 11 year old at the time) "load" always came first, as it was the process of opening the bolt, putting in a round and then the "lock" was closing the bolt and locking it shut. So from my experience "lock and load" was always backwards.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ... I don't think I'd like to go to camp
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I thought you went camp years ago.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    camp sucks.

except for ropes courses, then it's mad fun.

EDIT: Wikipedia to the rescue:
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Load and lock" was a military command in the United States. Originally, this order referred to the operation of the M1 Garand rifle. The phrase describes the insertion of a clip of ammunition into the rifle, loading the clip, and locking the bolt forward (which forces a round into the chamber, readying the rifle for use).

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the info on Wikipedia is right.

Placing lock before load is actually correct and not backwards. In order to load a M1 Garand and other bolt action rifles the bolt must first be opened manually and be locked open. When you put the clip into the M1 Garand it would automatically trigger the bolt to snap shut, often pinching fingers and is the reason you see people bang the clip in with the heal of their hands so the bolt wouldn't bite them. It was kind of a signature move of combat hardened vets.

So lock and load actually means "get ready, lock your bolts open, load your ammo you're now ready for combat". The last lock (the one option refers to) was automatic on the M1 Garand. No one needed a reminder to lock the bolt closed when it happened automatically.

With most manual bolt action rifles it is lock, load, lock. People often just leave out the last lock. Even if that is the signature grinding sound people hear when you chamber a round in a manual bolt action rifle.

And yeah MoP's right no one uses the term any more, seriously any way hahaha.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I prefer "lets drag this queen." as my 'lets get going' phrase.