Home General Discussion

One of those days

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Well yesterday night was one of those days... I work third shift, and the company I'm at decided to have mandatory overtime, when December start which isn't a big deal unless there really is no point to it. I have been working six days a week for a few weeks, and it seems it catching up with me. Yesterday night I woke up I looked at my watch and thought the date on the thing was Th as in thurdsday. I take out all the trash thinking it's trash day but I'm happy because one I get paid and two one more night until my night off then back to work on Sunday. It's around 1 am and I look at my watch and it reads We as in Wednesday. I'm shocked and think I'm going insane look again in disbelief, hoping I was mistaken or my watch was screwed up. But no it's Wednesday, I was pretty pissed and felt like I was robbed. wink.gif I usually try and find the humour in things and while it didn't feel very funny to me my coworkers laughed cause it is kind of funny. That's it, feel free to laugh or make fun, since I still feel pretty stupid about this. confused.gif Later.

Feel free to share your stupid moment as well. wink.gif

Alex

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    It sucks getting days messed up. Getting a moment of relief, only to realize still have to get through that extra day of frustration. Overtime, when there is no work to do, is extra annoying. It's basically being told to look busy, on your day off.

During a normal slow week, I've found a good remedy is to take a Friday off. Then if feels like having two Sundays, and more work can be completed on Monday. I can't wait to work on a peak hours schedule again.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    http://employeeissues.com/mandatory_overtime.htm

Unfortunately what they are doing is perfectly legal. You have no protection against forced overtime. If you do not comply they have every right to take disciplinary action.

I'm salaried, but I have an excellent deal with my firm. Everything over 80 hours per pay period is accrued into a discretionary hours pool. I can either use that as vacation or cash it out in 40 hour increments. I work about 60 hours a week, so it adds up. It's not time-and-a-half, but it's something.

I actually find myself asking people what month it is occasionally. I couldn't even tell you what day or date it was without checking. I stopped keeping track mentally years ago for some reason.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    At least you aren't waking up on your day off, and getting prepped for work, just to realize it wasn't a work day. I've done that... it wasn't until I was putting my shoes on that I realized it was Saturday and I should be sleeping :/
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Notman that can't happen to me in this case because when I get out of work Saturday morning, which is my night off, I stay awake until Sunday when I have to go back to work that night. Why, so I can at least do something besides sleep. But what you have said has happened to me before at other jobs, I have also dreamed that I was late to my current job on my time off, I tell you that really sucks. wink.gif The other thing I have dreamed of is having my supervisor tell me I'm not working fast enough, yeah, now that is freaking annoying, day off, sleeping listening to an ahole talk crap. I prefer my normal nightmares better those usually involve dead people or torture, but at least I don't have to listen to them talking crap and being ungrateful pricks. wink.gif Today they told their fastest worker, new kid, that he was working to fast, he had to slow down. The guy is a pretty hyper person a bit more than me, and works fast in order not to lose he mind in the place, I'm kind of like that, but after getting their BS I said the hell with them. The entire third shift crew is probably going to get let go after Christmas, so I'm looking forward to that. They hired a bunch of people for their busy season and once that's over they let them go, once they get everything they can out of them. I may or may not have a job in a few weeks but I'm not very worried. I'm hoping I can pull some nice 3d work for my reel and land a full time job doing that, but if not I'm sure I'll find another warehouse job no problem.

Alex
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    When I was going to college my sleeping was all fucked up do to a slight MMO addiction (Anarchy Online).

Anyhoo, I had fallen asleep on my couch for a nap, thinking I'd wake up in the PM and continue to play my game. So I fall asleep and when I eventually wake up I had it in my head that I had slept the entire night and it was time to go to school. I went up stairs, showered, came downstairs and got dressed. Ran up stairs again (I was in the basement) only to see my family having dinner at the dinner table.... Haha, they were wondering why I had a shower so late.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Adam I used to sleep very little when I was getting my degree, especially during finals. The funniest one had to be when I was working on my Senior Studio Game Design project with my friend and I was also rendering things for my Advance Game Design class, maybe it was the other way around. At any rate, my friend was doing his part of the project and we were learning Max, and he was having trouble getting the camara to animate how he wanted and the thing would flip. He would get pissed off, I would laugh. I was so freaking tired since I was up like two days in a row working on shit. So I fall asleep, wake up like 30 minutes in a panic thinking it's my time to go to my Senior Studio review. My friend looks and me and says dude 30 min have passed. He laughs, I laugh, he goes to his dorm and I take a nap and work some more on my final. The scariest one was when I fell asleep on the train towards Boston, which was my stop, it's also the last stop on the commuter Rail which makes this even funnier. I had slept like two hours because I was working on my 3D stuff, go to the station from Leominster to Boston to pick up another train towards Lowell. So I fall asleep on the train I wake up after passing three stops, I think I was around Ayer when I woke up thinking I had missed my stop. wink.gif I get up and the first impulse I have is to try and jump off the train. wink.gif Of course I saw the train moving and the little voice in my said it's moving don't freaking do it, but I wanted to jump off the damn thing. I calm down and think, I'm going to Boston, what the hell. The guy that gets the tickets got freaked out too.

Alex
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I get that sort of thing way too often!
    We've just wound down from a pretty intense crunch, and we usually schedule milestones for Mondays, so we can get everything done by Friday and have the weekend to fall back just in case.
    But for this instance we had to meet a deadline that was mid-week, but at this stage I was in the studio from 8:30am until 9:30pm (sometimes 10:30pm) pretty much every day for 2 weeks (also a few odd days prior to those 2 weeks, which is when I got jumped, walking home real late), I would get home, eat, then go straight to bed. So I lost all track of time.
    We had a build going out on a Tuesday, but as I was used to having that done on a Friday, I was completely convinced it actually was Friday. Usually on Fridays we finish up early for "beer o'clock" and seeing as it was build cut off at 4pm, it seemed like we had finished early for the day, because we weren't doing any more work. I was so psyched for the weekend then so devastated when people kept reminding me it was only Tuesday. laugh.gif
    Good times!

-caseyjones
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    when i would get into a heavy crunch, the only way i would even notice the weekends is the amount of traffic on the way to work in the mornings or night.

that shit would blur all together untill it was a long march of death. yuk.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Stop talking about crunches... Im too close to graduating and getting a job and I dont wanna think about it.

(My plan to make it rich on the stock market and then have my own company that works 4 days a week at 6 hours a day and pays everyone really well WILL HAPPEN)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Sometimes I'll wake up anywhere from midnight to 4 in the morning, and think I need to get up and get ready for school. Most of the time, I'll be getting dressed, and realize I can go back to bed for two more hours. But one time, I got to breakfast before I realized I only went to bed a couple hours ago. My circadian rhythm must be off, because it's been happening more often lately.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    A couple times back when I was working on a new reel I had changed my active schedule to waking up at 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then work until 7 am and then repeat the same for 3 continuous months.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    When I was going to college my sleeping was all fucked up do to a slight MMO addiction (Anarchy Online).

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA laugh.gif

I know a guy who dropped out of college due to his addiction to Anarchy Online. So years later he got a job at Funcom and went back to finish his courses. laugh.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    when i would get into a heavy crunch, the only way i would even notice the weekends is the amount of traffic on the way to work in the mornings or night.

that shit would blur all together untill it was a long march of death. yuk.

[/ QUOTE ]

felt the same on 3rd shift at walmart. saturday and sunday mornings meant a nicer drive home without all the ass heads on the road