Home Technical Talk

Wireframe Over Color? (Maya 2008)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pliang polycounter lvl 17
Just asking on behalf of a friend of mine... Is there an easier way to render color with wire frame on top instead overlaying in Photoshop?

I recall its available as an option in Max...

Replies

• joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Do you mean in Max...? I may be thinking of something else, but what I do is make a copy of my object and add a gray shader to the copy, then I click the wire option, then change the color of the wire (I usually go with black). Use the button at the top of Max that aligns two objects together, then add a push modifier to the copy so I can see the wires over top the original model. If you wanted to do that In Maya I wouldn't know what to do.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Joe: Notice that the thread title includes the words "Maya 2008" wink.gif
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah.. haha.. but he mentioned Max at the end of his post so I guess it threw me off and I thought he wanted to know in Max.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    uhh if I'm understanding you correctly, he could use Mentalray's contour feature.

Just go to the shading group of your shader, go down to the mentalray rollout and check on 'enable contour rendering'. adjust the edge width accordingly, then go into the render settings in the mentalray tab, go to Contours and check on 'enable contour rendering' so the renderer will recognize it.
    Now you can change the different settings for your contour, in this case he'll want to check on 'around all poly faces'.
    You can also, of course, change the oversampling so it doesn't look all aliased and stuff.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Thank You.

I actually saw the feature a while back and tried it out but the contour appeared really exaggerated and had problems sorting out the sampling...I'll give it another try.