Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GoW Level

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys im working on this piece for my portfolio, rigth now i got the basic structures down playing around with the enviroment, the only crit i need right now are for my two main textures i will be using throught the map what do you guys think?are they perfect or should i change them?this is only diffuse no spec or normal smile.gif

walltexturewipshot.jpg

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Most buildings in any environment don't have the exact same style / damage of brick on the interior as they do on the exterior. (Unless it's a completely hollowed out bunker...in which case I doubt it would have a thin wooden roof like yours.

If they were cheap enough to actually use brick on the interior as well, it most likely isn't the exact same bricks used on the exterior. Where would the insulation / duct work / electrical work / plumbing go? While I'm sure this is another "post-apolitical GoW generic" style building, you should keep some of the basics of construction in mind when you start working on these sort of buildings.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    hey man thanks:) my brother hit me in the head when he saw the texture and told me almost the exact thing.i was looking at some of refs and it seems that both of you are completley correct im going to fix that asap thanks bro.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Also the bricks could use a little bit more scale down.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    good start, man!
    I strongly suggest that u make wall texture much more bright and slightly more desaturated. The tricky thing is when it comes to lighting. When ur texture is already dark and very saturated ur lighting wont look satisfying and everything will be too dark.
    Check this out for examples how level textures r done in order to be lit nicely : http://www.cybergooch.com/tutorials/pages/lighting_rfom2.htm
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Matroskin, but dont edit the texture in photoshop, you can play around with brightness and saturation(and much more) in the Unreal Editor while testing out the lighting smile.gif
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    ...or add a separate brightness/saturation layer in PhotoShop so that u always keep ur original image untouched wink.gif
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I greatly recommend taking a look at the brick materials that are already in the engine so you can check out how they are composed, they do some pretty tricky stuff
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Hey this is how my materials usualy look like, note couple of things tho:
    -I've desaturated my diffuse and used it as a spec, this is whem im lazy and dont want to create a proper specular map so dont always do this.
    -my SpecularPower is a single constant, remember that you can use a texture for this too, again for this particular material it wasnt necessary/
    -You can do alot more with your normal map(ie paralax) try opening one of Epics materials and see how its done:).
    -Half of this I learned from friends and half of this I figured myself, so there may be better ways to do this stuff:)
    material1.png
    And this is how it looks in-game:
    screen1.png