Home General Discussion

XBox HD-DVD Deal

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, I don't know if you saw this deal at Best Buy for this week, but they have a deal where you get the Heroes Season 1 on HD-DVD for free when you buy the HD-DVD player for the 360. That's $100 free. Then you qualify to get 5 free HD-DVDs through that other rebate deal.
I just picked this up today and thought I'd share. I've been waiting to find a good deal on this player, and I think this qualifies as a pretty damn good deal (if you're a Heroes fan wink.gif).

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm still waiting to see whether HD DVD or Blu-ray wins the next dvd format war.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    holy shit thats pretty awesome.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm still waiting to see whether HD DVD or Blu-ray wins the next dvd format war.

[/ QUOTE ]

WAIT = lose
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My opinion on the format wars is, it probably won't end until a new format arises. These two seem to be staying neck and neck, so I suspect eventually the dual format players will take the market, and both will co-exist. I was waiting too, but this was finally a deal too good to pass up. Plus, the 360's HD-DVD player can hook up (and play) to your computer wink.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, this is a pretty slick deal I have to say. I was going to hold out. But $100 for free is pretty good. On top of the 5 free movies as well.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I think I'm almost to my 8-10 weeks since I sent my form in for the 5 free movies. I've forgotten what most of them were that I ordered, so hopefully I haven't purchased any of them since I sent it in. >_<
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget that it also comes with King Kong (if it interests you).
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Best Buy ads here also state that with the purchase of ANY HD DVD player, not only do you get the 5 free, by mail movies, but you also get to pick any two 34.99 and under HD DVDs in the store.

So that's a total of 7 free movies.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    So let me get this straight.

For $179.99 USD you get:

Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player
    King Kong HD-DVD
    5 HD-DVDs of your choice (from about 15 titles via mail of course)
    and....
    Heroes Season 1 HD-DVD

Wow, that is a lot of bang for your buck for sure. If I had the extra money I'd go get it right now.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So let me get this straight.

For $179.99 USD you get:

Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player
    King Kong HD-DVD
    5 HD-DVDs of your choice (from about 15 titles via mail of course)
    and....
    Heroes Season 1 HD-DVD

Wow, that is a lot of bang for your buck for sure. If I had the extra money I'd go get it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget the 2 extra, 34.99 HD DVDs added on top of the free 5.

bestbuy.jpg

not sure if the offer is reginal.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Holy shit. Thats amazing. Im broke and I may just invest in this. How much does one get for selling sperm & blood again? What if they are mixed together?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    How much does one get for selling sperm & blood again? What if they are mixed together?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sex with your woman at the right time can handle that wink.gif

I'll have to recheck my add here and see if I can get two more... I'll turn into my Hulk mode and get my freebies wink.gif (where did you see that in the ad? I see the scan, but what page)

Edit: Scratch that... I just found the page. I'm not sure if the 360 version qualifies, but it sure seems like it.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it only specifies that you need to buy ANY HD DVD Player.

Technically, the 360 add on is a player.

One of the guys here at work did it and bitched a little and got the 2 bonus hd dvds.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm seeking my wife after them actually. She's like a little pitbull when it comes to things like this wink.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hey saw this on the xbox.com site....

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/hddvdnow/offers.htm

Looks like the buy the hd dvd player and get 5 free dvds and heroes season 1 on hd dvd is still going on.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Goddamn, I hate America sometimes wink.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buy.com is also offering the deal, but for $169.
    I still like my Best Buy deal now. My wife had to make several visits and bitch out some management, but she was able to find someone who understood the company's policy and gave us the 2 extra HD-DVDs. Apparently it was posted in their breakroom to honor that deal.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd update my results. I received a letter in the mail yesterday about my rebate. They are trying to say I didn't include my UPC when I sent in my form, so they sent everything back and asked me to 'correct the problem' and send it back. Since they didn't send the UPC back, and I DID send it in, I no longer have one to send back.

So, I called their service number and the guy told me to look on the box for a '0222' number. I looked all over the thing and told him no numbers exist... it was probably on the UPC that I ALREADY SENT IN. His advice, write a letter with stating that I already sent in the only UPC I had, and include all the paperwork they sent back.

What I'm doing is sending in photocopies of every side of my retail box, which includes the giant hole where the UPC was. Now, obviously that doesn't prove I actually sent in the UPC, but I'm hoping SOMETHING comes of this. My letter isn't very nice either, but I kept out the profanity wink.gif

GOD I hate rebates... this is a typical result for me every time I try to send them in.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Dang, that bites. Hopefully they realize that it's possible they goofed up, and lost your upc.
    I barely got my 5 dvds in a few weeks ago. It's nice that they were free, but ffs they took their sweet time in getting here.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think in case either way I could get shafted.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    It's too bad that all the movies in the freebie giveaway are rubbish that wouldn't sell on it's own. There's only like...1 out of the five I MIGHT buy regularly frown.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I bought the hd-dvd player as soon as it launched, so I missed these nice offers frown.gif This summer I picked up a PS3 though, so I got the 5 free bluray discs. Took a long time to process, I just got them like 2 weeks ago.