Home General Discussion

Street Fighter 4

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
leilei polycounter lvl 14
HADOUKEN!!!!

Site is getting heavily hammered and it's just being unveiled at this minute so some patience must be had for all

this is the thread for it though smile.gif

Replies

• HandSandwich
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I love the art direction in that trailer.. those floaty smokey bits, and the paint\blood. Soo cool.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    can't get to the site. I just hope they stick with the traditional side view. It just wouldn't be street fighter if it was a full 3d environment with camera controls. . .
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Don't really care about the game, but that trailer is amazing!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Ryu looks funny
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice to see them doing something different, I hope they follow through with the game in the same sorta styling. Although there was a bit much black and sometimes it was so desaturated and messy it just looked quite abstract - Could be a good thing, but it could also really suck.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It should be called a teaser, more than anything else. I highly doubt that the gameplay will resemble that video.

But other than that, I loved it. The visuals were very impressive and the fighting looked intense, albeit much slower than the game itself.

Per, the previous 3D Street Fighter games did relatively well, actually.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    damn!!! waking up to this news totally made my day. the trailer looks great. Here's hoping it end up something like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=JwjJa9l1cSo while retaining the shading used in the trailer. That game in the link is battle fantasia. One i've been dying to play but doubt it'll ever make it to the U.S.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Street Fighter never really interested me after the perfection that was Hyper Fighting. Hopefully, they go back to the roots of the series instead of all the weird crap Capcom does with it's fighters these days.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

seantree, wtf, that video is like the pure opposite of what SF is about. Unless you're talking about how well they do "2d in 3d"?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, I should have clarified. That is exactly what I meant. Damn, 2008 is gonna be great for fighting fans. KOFXII and SF4, ST:HD, and hopefully a KOF:Maximum Impact Regulation A release in the states. Which, btw, is the only game I think nailed the transition from 2D to 3D properly.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is the 2nd best thing to happen to me today. I've been waiting for SF4 for years!!

Ken Masters will own the Earth AGAIN!
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe, Ken fan eh? My friend only pulls the ken card when I'm spankin his ass in 3s(at least he doesn't pull Chunny out). He becomes a tier whore real quick. My main char is Makoto. Love the quick dash throw mixups. too bad she prob won't be in 4 :/
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude Ken is the master of the world. No one can beat me in SF3: Third Strike. NO ONE!

also, I am not a normal Ken player. Normal teir Ken is played using the shoryureppa, but I use Shinryuken.

I am own.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm completely psyched about this. I personally hope they don't take the 3D route, it never feels right. That's about the time Mortal Kombat died in the ass for me was when they MK4.
    As long as it lives up to Third Strike, then I'll be a happy man. Hanging to see some gameplay vids though.

-caseyjones
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    I just want oro back!!! Bottom tier ftw!!!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Ryu looks strange in that trailer.

Very modern though isn't it?

I hope they go back to the roots, but at the end of the day - unless they add tons of new stuff no ones gonna buy it... :/
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I hope they don't go back to the roots. The roots really sucked. Hard. 4 punches round over frown.gif
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd welcome Oro back as well. He is very fun to play. As for goin back to the roots, I could see them doin something similar to Super turbo as that is THE SF game to the top players. On the other hand, they have ST:HD coming and, as LeiLei stated, they need to update it to stay with the times/keep it fresh. I'd take:
    1. no parries
    2. no air blocking
    3. no whiffed attacks to build meter. Give meter for being offensive and give penalties for turtling i.e. the guilty gear series.
    4. Alpha counters or something of the sort would be nice.
    5. Keep universal overheads from SF3
    6. Last but not least,and only sort of SF related give us another Vampire game built on the new engine . As soon as I saw the teaser I thought how good the Vampire characters would look in that style. That's if the final game even resembles the trailer. Heh, just got the SF4 announcement and I already want Bishamon and gang back :/ Capcom can't win.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh no man you have to have parrying. HAVE TO
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    yeah..parrying is a must. The only reason most people hate it is because they suck at using it
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah..parrying is a must. The only reason most people hate it is because they suck at using it

[/ QUOTE ]
    QFT! My housemate cracks the shits when we play Third Strike, because I tend to parry most of his attacks and he rarely parries mine. If parries are taken out, then I don't see myself playing SF4.

-caseyjones
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    As for goin back to the roots, I could see them doin something similar to Super turbo as that is THE SF game to the top players.

[/ QUOTE ]

The top game for competitive players is Third Strike.

Why would anyone want to take out parrying? Learning to parry, cancel, supercancel, buffer, etc puts you on that extra level that makes the game so much more fun for advanced players. The reason 3S has taken over the scene is because it has all of the advanced tactics, not the other way around. If people wanted a simpler version then Alpha3 would be the most popular.

That being said, I hope they don't oversimplify it. That seems to be what Sakurai is doing to SSBB. It seems they took out a lot of advanced things so far (wavedashing might be gone, L cancelling seems automatic, edges take priority over recovery moves, etc) and to be honest it takes the fun out of playing so much. It is like giving everyone in WoW an automatic level 70 with tier 1 gear.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SFIII:TS is THE perfect example of what a solid fighter should be, 2D or otherwise. It had a small number of very well developed and balanced players (to a certain extent). The animations were ridiculous and the art work was stunning. It was all about fighting, blocking, parrying, canceling and so forth. You don't have the mileenas the eddy gordo's. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. If you wanted to get better you learned how to parry, cancel, etc. It was just a solid, well paced fighting machine. I consider it one of my favorite games of all time, and still undefeated fighter.

With that said I have wanted a SF4 for years now, and I am just hoping that whoever is developing it does a great job. In fact, it could be someone who posts here. Capcom USA has the rights to the Street Fighter series now.

Here's hoping they add to an already superb fighter in SFIII:TS instead of going somewhere new or else ala EX.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the EX series should be of concern. While I enjoy those games I don't think Capcom would go that route with SF4. OMG, you mentioned Mileena. Old School MK2 Mileena was a bitch. I swear all you saw were Mileena vs. Jax at my local arcade. BTW, If you guys have not played it, you need to check out Martial Masters. It's a great little fighter.

• seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But the EX series was damn fun IMO. Skullo and CrackerJack owned!! The whole Capcom USA owning the rights thing has scared me for years. Hopefully they get some top players to playtest etc.. Only one more announcement could get more even more hyped for SF4. SONIC BOOM!!!!!! Man, I'd love to have Guile back.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    tbh I just want to know what happens story wise
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ken owns. story is done.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, a big topic, Ken, Gouki, and Ryu. All three were clones of each other for a long time, but in SFIII:TS they started becoming different in terms of game play mechanics.

First off you have to realize, these 3 were taught with the same fighting style, and in the same circle. Goutetsu taught Gouken and Gouki. Gouken taught Ken and Ryu. There is a reason they are similar.

But they are also different.

Gouki the fastest of the 3. he was super fast. His damage was decent, and his ability to wrangle your opponent is definitely the best in the game. His major weaknesses, besides being extremely weak as far as health and defense, is his under-whelmingly powerless supers, minus the shun goku satsu. He also had no ex abilities, BUT had his kongou kokuretsuzan.

Ryu was definitely the strongest of the 3. he could pull more power into his basic punches than either ken or gouki. his hadouken is way stronger and faster than gouki or ken, and his supers are stronger than Gouki's, especially his shin shoryuken. He had access to ex moves.

Ken, he only has one version of the hadouken, ryu and gouki both have at least 2 (gouki 3 if you count his air hadouken). His main power comes from his shoryuken based moves. His punches are harder than gouki's but weaker than ryu, and he doesn't have the speed of gouki. His main strength is definitely in his finishers. His shoryu reppa and shippu jinrai kyaku are his best and most powerful moves.

They also have great tricks. Ken can shoryuken on a dime, especially after being taken down and on the way up on a rebound.

Gouki's tatsumaki senpuu kyaku can actually take down a crouching block because he's able to spin behind his opponent fast enough to hit him before the auto block turns him towards gouki.

This game is deep, and so are it's fighters. There is a lot of distinction between the 3 now. I can't wait to see them progress Ken's cockiness, Ryu's patience and Gouki's rage even further in their different move sets with SFIV.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    let me have my moment Per..:D I call him Akuma too, it really depends on who i'm talking to.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Without parrying we would never have the below, EOD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's the vid that got me into Third Strike. Fucking blew my mind!

-caseyjones
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ACK!!! 2009??? Damn you Capcom!!! Oh, and I love that vid. The crowd reaction is great.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    All this talk of Streetfighter 3 has me intruiged. I was always under the illusion tha tthe series dropped off after 2:Turbo and after only only briefly playing Alpha in the arcades in the cinema I haven't tried any others.

Are the Streetfighter 3 series available for any consoles and which is the best version I should try?
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Street Fighter Anniversary collection for PS2 and Xbox has SFIII: Third Strike on it.

The xbox version has online play and backwards compatible with 360.. it's obviously the right choice laugh.gif
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minus the fact that it's the dub, SF2 shows just how amazing the animation of that series is.

damn you SF: Generations!!
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    They will most likely attempt a 3d game, they have a new engine ready made for it supposedly. The last announced tittle was Capcom Fighting All-Stars, which was canceled: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capcom_Fighting_All-Stars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzci1LZFuMI

They will most likely not better Third Strike. They are going up against a near perfect game. The only thing they could do is remix 3rd strike in HD with double the roster, and possibly 3d backgrounds. Only way in my mind they could not jinx themselves. That trailer looked pretty bad. I like the effects, but the characters just looked like EX leftovers.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope they don't go back to the roots. The roots really sucked. Hard. 4 punches round over frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously never played Hyper Fighting. Easily the best one ever. Super and Super Turbo literally ruined the series. All the amazing tourney players quit after Hyper Fighting.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope they go back to the roots, but at the end of the day - unless they add tons of new stuff no ones gonna buy it... :/

[/ QUOTE ]

The core gameplay in SFIII was definitely "back to the roots" after the jap-tastic spectacle the zero/alpha games turned into. They've been very careful with the games and always had a great understanding of hard core players, so personally I'm very excited.

What they did with SFIII, of course, was give you very basic and hard core gameplay out of the box, then offer unlockables that let you configure the game as you wanted. Here's wishing for the same in the next game, as that was pure fucking gold

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree. SF3 is absolutely nothing like SF2:CE and Hyper Fighting. Not to say that SF3 isn't a good game by today's standards. I just prefer the SF2 style of game, which leaned more towards anticipation, reaction times, hitbox distance finessing, and coming up with a personal strategy. Watching the top players in the Hyper Fighting days (Tomo, Mike Watson), you can see how each player put his own unique spin on a character yet still was able to be amazing at the game. In SF3, all the top players play the same strategies. It's just not as fun when you play near the top level of a game.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    can we restart our SF character design comp? cos i'm fkn pumped!
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone use this to play online?
    http://ggpo.net/
    the connections are nice. only supports A2 and MvC at the moment, but more games are planned. I'll be on tomorrow. tag will be seantree
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oohh, some news....

"I'll start with the basic answer that will diffuse the majority of questions here:

We've announced Street Fighter 4 to let everyone know it's in development. We aren't really providing any more information than that at this time, but over the coming months, you'll see bits and pieces come to light. Platforms especially aren't being discussed.

While CUSA owns the rights to Street Fighter, we have contracted Capcom Japan to handle its development (we felt they would, by far, do the best job with the title).

The game is further along in development than probably most of you think, but as we've stated, it's still quite a ways off. Again, the announcement was just to get it on everyone's radar, nothing more.

Beyond that no one at Capcom will speak about characters returning, character count, platforms, features, 2D or 3D or 2.5D, whether the trailer is representative of gameplay/character design/visual targets, arcade or not, online features, downloadable strategy, where it fits in the canon, etc.

All of that will be revealed over time... the next bits will be revealed a bit later this year.
    Now Playing: Halo 3 (I suck), Monster Hunter Freedom 2, Team Fortress 2, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix"

yay for capcom japan!!!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    can we restart our SF character design comp? cos i'm fkn pumped!

[/ QUOTE ]How about we get someone to choose a winner of the previous one first? Its only been a year.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if only i didn't suck completely at Character modeling, i'd be on that in a heart beat!

I just never know where to start.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Ken kills everyone, true story.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You'd have to work hard to beat me at the alpha games however, I've never been as hard core about any other game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give you a run at Alpha2 for sure. Alpha was horrible though, and they did the new-age, capcom crazy combo stuff in SFA3.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played an intense amount of SF:3S over the weekend, damn this thread!

-caseyjones
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    anyone else played killer instincts after watching that?

haha

dunno why got into a crazy fighters fit last few days,

mainly marvel VS capcom 2, and SF3 3rd strike, and oddly enough, killer instinct 2...
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Air blocking is for posers.
    However, parrying is pretty damn pimp.

I've always found SF2: Turbo for the SNES to be my fav. I liked SF3 but no one i knew played it. After that I just got lost in the sea of alpha, beta, gamma phi tri delta shit.
    SF Vs. Capcom, Vs. Marvel, Vs. Family Guy, Vs. Snorks just too much...plus all the combo crap (hit 8 buttons in a row ALA MK3 just got stupid too) i loved combos where you had to time all your hits just right to get the opponent in a dizzy after another dizzy, not just make 2 fireball motions and press all 3 punches.
    I'm sure most of the stuff I'm not crazy about will make it in, I'm just psyched they are making a new one.
    B