Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P concept vehicle by 2000yearsoldman

2000yearsoldman
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
2000yearsoldman polycounter lvl 13
Hello everybody, I am 2000yearsoldman
This model I been doing for a while now, so far I got to the texturing level.
I got inspirated by somme killzone designs, it supporse to an amor troop hover craft carrier.
I want it to be as brutal as possible, it is not gonna like some shiny 3d model, it will be a dirty war machine.
Hope everyone give some cool comments.
enjoy.
386438543_068be9fd2e_o.jpg
478908560_284f86438a_o.jpg
478908564_e8fc5258e0_o.jpg
462808611_690005071f_o.jpg
1517206127_6bf76dc3f8_o.jpg
1552374812_39b02ca2c8_o.jpg

Replies

• konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty f-ing cool- the biggest crit I have is "GOOD LORD THATS ALOTTA POLLIES! The Unwrap must make baby jesus cry" Do you plan on actually making this a real time model? If so I`d suggest backsteping just a tad and thinking out what you can normnal map, and what needs to geometry. Sort of an obvious crtitque, but I cant imagine this vehicle being under 500,000 tris. I could be way off tho-

and with the texture, you probably want to texture it in passes. Right now I see you have parts nearly fully textured out, while other bits and pieces haven't received any treatment whatsoever. Personally, I like texturing a model out so it looks clean like it just came out of the manufacturing plant, This way I can make sure all my materials look good with one another from a very basic standpoint THEN I go in and beat it up. That way I can distribute things like bullet holes in an appropriate manner to where they make sense. You figure those are the kind of details that shouldn't be evenly distributed across the model. Also you might want to desaturated the paint job, the blood, and your logo work a bit-

Cooool design though, keeep goin
  • Panupat
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    hmm while the model looks pretty cool I don't think it's really picking up the right feeling of the vehicle in the concept art.

The biggest problem that caught my eye almost immediately is the proportion of the body part. In the original concept it looks thick and gives a strong, bulky feel. But yours looks thin and weak.

rand000.jpg
    If you look closely to the concept you'll see that the body isn't just 1 large flat box, but it's broken up into 3 parts. The head isn't just sticking out of the front either but it inserts underneath the blue part.

Another thing are the stuff on top of your vehicle. In the concept, those things look like they are part of the vehicle. Gas, oil tanks, I don't know but they definitely are not just cargo placed on top. The way you put stuff on top of your model is looking more like a cargo ship carrying goods.

And the head. It looks a lot cuter now when you give it all those angles. In the original the head shape is just straight which feels a lot more serious and war-like.

Well I'm not sure how close to the original art you're going for. But since you mentioned you want this piece to "be a dirty war machine" I really think you are not going in the right direction. It's turning out like a UHaul now and not a war machine.
  • nealb4me
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Hey awesome concept. Good to see this type of work going on.

I do notice some odd scale issues. The cockpit strikes me as way to small compared to the seats on the sides and the barrels, jerry cans on top etc. Or vice versa.

Those jerry cans look WAY too big for the pilot to pick up, though sort of manageable for a soldier sitting on the side according to your seat scale.

Definately pay attention to these areas as it makes the diff between awesome and not bad. wink.gif
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct_Thanks so much for the comments. I just want to make the texture as good as I can, the whole thing is about 20.000 polys, it took me 3 months to unwrap.
    1453183948_b2a3191f70_o.jpg You really go some good points, in the rest of texture I will try to slow down. I havn't put the logo in yet, tha green and blue arrow is the divion flag. Thanks again.
    ppenguin_Thanks alot. You teally got the good eye man. Yes I did some changes from the original concept. Because when I was modeling, I reallized scales of 2d concept and the 3d model can't well match, so in the end I made the cockpit bigger and thiner body. And one thing, the cockpit is not in some level as the rear body, because I want the window to lift up from front to back.
    per128_Thanks for the support.
    nealb4me_Thanks. When I was modeling I looked alot tank photos,(Love the WWII tanks tongue.gif)so this hover craft is a heavy truck kind vehicle too.
    466476559_cab9127a20_o.jpg

New stuff.
    I got the front buttom gas tanks and the side power lines done. Now I am on the side shiled. What your see there is right shield, the center part is done, the whole shield willd done by this week. And the next will be the side seats.
    Enjoy
    1826573342_1610be6170_o.jpg
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    My thought would prolly lessen the number of jerry cans and stuff like that and replace it with more battle relevant compartments like the actual cabine for people to lodge in or engine if you can. You said this is a troop carrier but really with the actual volume I see, it looks more like a refueling carrier.

The front legs? could prolly be bulked up first to look like it can support all that weight up there...I wished the model was posted first before you went through the insane unwrapping process.

And yea, blood on objects to to be more burgundy when its oxidized for that long.

Overall its tremendous detailed work.
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang_thanks alot for the comments. There are three landing gears, front legs and another one below the jet engine, I hope they can support weight. My ideal of this concept carrier is it can carry 6 armed soldiers and supply carrier too. Thanks again.

Side seats are this time, the next one up is the jet engine.
    Enjoy. 2051917809_b36f03f30d_o.jpg2052704880_0eb556ecc8_o.jpg
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    This one I think could start using a little bit of hard surface wear and worn on the edges like the rest if the ship...have you played Quake 4 before btw? The similar machinery they had had pretty subtle details like that to make it more metal like.

Also what I'd like to see to the seats would be some actual "seats"...if the soldiers are forced to stand up like in this design with little space and they get hit by a missile...then they'll problems getting out. They might fall over the grip as well since doesn't seem like there's anything to hold them in place.

Add something like that and your side seats will work more efficiently....
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Blood is not bright red! Change the blood to a dark red and brown, near black in some places. Dried blood is dark and brownish. Even freshly spilled blood isn't going to be that bright red.

I sliced my thumb pretty badly over the weekend (Don't combine building warhammer 40k models and alcohol), I'm pretty familiar with how it looks smile.gif
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Its also a bit hard to picture how this is going to look all put together. Do you think you could post a shot or 2 of the whole thing including all the textured and untextured parts?
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang_thanks for the support. You got some points on seat wears, but right now I am focusing on finish the texture, maybe late I will come back to it.
    Ghostcape_Thanks alot. You are so right on the blood stein, I went back darken it.
    Per128_I think the texture I did so far may be little radom, but later they will all come together good.
    Konstruct_I only got the back rear and side views today, more will come later.

New stuffs.
    Rocket engine is done, the next park will be explosive armors.
    Enjoy.
    2103565844_fe2532decc_o.jpg
    2103565868_115a6ceb0d_o.jpg
    2103565810_89ec6660fe_o.jpg
    2102787041_bc77cacd61_o.jpg
    2102786955_5127450f0c_o.jpg
  • Mishra
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    looks sweet but i'd change the card thing, owner might not like that too much, other than that a+
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    At this stage I'd be more opportune to finish the textures first and then add more to it.
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Offline / Send Message
    mishra_thanks alot for the support.
    Pliang_I am agree with you, right I really want get the texture down too, and warry the rest later.

New stuff, the pilot seat is done.
    At this stage the main body of the vehicle is finished, I think the next one up will be the skir armors around the cockpit and the rocket booster.
    enjoy.
    2129887889_01ebfc3251_o.jpg
    2129887997_45b58ba77a_o.jpg
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work man but change the red yellow buttons on that last picture to something else (more appropriate). With those current ones, it looks like a toy or from some old child scifi movie.

Keep it up! smile.gif
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty cool vehicle. It might have strayed a bit from the concept but I like it anyway.

I'd probably dirty up the cock pit more too though, looks like that thing has seen alot of use. Fibers on the seat would probably be splitting, ect... There'd be cracks/wrinkles in it.

Seems like way too much blood though. Why would there be soo much blood on the outside of those panels? The panels would need to be in that position while a soldier got shot and fell back and smeared against them. But then the craft would probably be on the ground and the panles would be underneath it.
    I can see some blood on the seats, but still, that would have most likely been cleaned off after battles.
    Who would want to sit in a big pile of blood when heading out on a mission? Most likely the military would at least power wash them during maintainance and get stuff like blood and brains off of them. But they wouldn't repaint them all the time.

Maybe multiple skins would be best anyway, just makes more use of the model. A clean new skin, a battle worn but maintained (no blood) skin, and a fresh from battle with blood skin.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    Just on the seats...if you've been on a transit...the seats on there would be of great references on this model.

This one seems factory fresh to me but just a little tweak and there it'd be better.
  • Frankie V
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie V polycounter lvl 18
    I like.

The only complaint is lacking in details that allows the separate elements to pop out from the rest of the structure.

In the GL renders you can almost see every nut and bolt yet the texturing that you are applying is masking out a lot of the detail that makes the GL renders interesting in shape.

You have a lot of complementary colors competing for attention and could use some offset colouring to break it up a bit.

Also maybe just me but there seems to be far too much damage and grim. Almost excessive.
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy new year every body.

the winterlord__ you got some good points man, I will change them later thanks.

baddcog__ I thought the cock pit is covered, so it shall looks clear than outside, or maybe pilot know to clean the seat. I put lot blood stein there, thought the vehicle just finished a critical mission.

pliang__ the seat texture I used is from an old WWII fighter, but I got your point it shall look like more used.
    thanks.

Frankie V__ Thanks alot for the support. It is 100% bullet proof.

Got the side skirt armor plates done(stuffs covering the cock pit and engine), now working on the weapons and the sensors. Hope I will get all changes made on the next up, but I still need your guy's support.
    enjoy.
    2151235519_b675f4c3bb_o.jpg
    2152027188_bceff1c878_o.jpg

this is carrier's naked mode, it can be use as a scout craft.I these two renders I setted the bright lights,tried to simulate the a desert mid day secene.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    neat concept and a tidy model, id beef the cockpit struts a little they look too thin at the moment.
    just curious about texture sizes, love the detail, but.... agh no buts, unless your gonna ut it in a game =)
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Offline / Send Message
    Sheperiro__no this is not for game, it just a hobbit piece. thanks for the support

New stuffs!
    Added a base to the scene, trying to be like a disply sand box, and it will be a desert scene.
    Aimming to finish up the whole thing with in the next two weeks.
    Enjoy.

2195234838_ac40cd393d_o.jpg
    2194447235_68ffea9f52_o.jpg
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    first, I think its an awesome model and texture job smile.gif but (I'll add a but tongue.gif) something bugs me about the images, there are lots of small high contrast areas and I find it hard to pick out the big forms at a glance or if I squint- it becoms lots of small points of light wanting my attention, especially the last pic. I think playing around with contrast and maybe some subtle gradients across the texture might alleviate that somewhat, and probably just the lighting setup (more ambient less key?)

in summary I'd like to be able to read the bigger pieces more easily, but it's some sweet work smile.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    your scale still is off on the ubersized barrel and the gas tank

if you use the cockpit and the gun as reference you can see in my paintover.

paintover.jpg
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Offline / Send Message
    Decard___ thanks for the comment I went in change the scales, now they shall look better.

Rooster__ Thanks for the support.

Finaly is all done.
    2218854182_a47743ff0d_b.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    "Art is never finished its just abandoned in a near perfect state."

With that said, I really like it awesome work, the for sale sign is a good touch =)

- The texture is a little noisy for my taste which makes it hard for some of the individual shapes to be properly defined.
    - The canopy is pristine, and considering if you where trying to take the thing down that would be a major target.
    - The damage looks kind of random which can be good since random detail leads people think it happened at different times.

- But I think you could do more to emphasized the nature of the craft by localizing the damage to key areas that would actually take the most damage and shield other areas from taking so much. It seems very localized to each panel, as if each panel was in its own fight. Which tends to happen when you texture each piece a little at a time. Having damage that spans several UV pieces helps sell the damage, and helps the bigger pieces keep their shape.

- Bullet holes are great but bullet hole in every panel just for the sake of having bullet holes starts to look fake. The majority of the bullet holes happen to be in just about the center of every panel and don't bleed over. Bullets don't land on edges? All of the bullet holes look to come from straight on, which is fine if this was a 57 chevy pick up in a red necks backyard. Given this is kind of a drop ship flying in and out of ground combat zones the undercarriage would take quite a bit of hits and the damage would look to come from below.
    - Also the damage looks to be all the same Caliber hitting at the same speed from the same distance?
  • Rated Rrr
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    Every point that Vig made, is def. the right direction to take this piece.

When I first saw the finished piece, I got the feeling of one of those warhammer figurines or something of that nature.

This piece is good but I think if you take the advice already given you will make it great.
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Offline / Send Message
    vig__Nice web man. Thanks alot for the great comments, I will continue to twick the model later.

rated rrr__ Thanks alot for the support.

Some new renders of the model.
    Enjoy.
    2220185441_5963a95955_o.jpg
    2220980660_8c9a5e83b6_o.jpg
    2220185243_a9280dcdef_o.jpg
    2220979110_f94a0fa52f_o.jpg
    2220980592_eca3d037fe_o.jpg
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    If its finished to you, its all good...leaving it in a near perfect state.

I personally think you can add some beating and batter to the glass.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    that jet engine looks brand spanking new to me. With the rest of it looking so worn that engine should have some wear and tear. Look up some jet engine pictures. Usually the heat discolors the metal a bit.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    In regards to the post...looks some worn weathered and heat damaged engine hoods on old civilian vehicles if you can find them.