Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Highpoly Minigun

PixelGoat
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
Here's a highpoly minigun I've been working on. The plan is to make a lowpoly version of it and bake a normalmap. If anyone have any advice on how to go about making the lowpoly it would be greatly appreciated. Since the shape is quite complex I'm not sure how to start. watertight mesh? or do I use several separate meshes?

Crits and comments mucho welcome!
Minigun.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg
Minigun2.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg
minigun3.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg
minigun4.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg
minigun5.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg
minigun6.jpg

Replies

• coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Here's a highpoly minigun I've been working on. The plan is to make a lowpoly version of it and bake a normalmap.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I like that plan, it's a good plan wink.gif

I find it's best to start modeling at "medium" res--not pinching polys but not indulging myself in petty details like bolts or panel creases (though keeping them in mind). From that model it's quick to build a subd mesh as well as the lowpoly version. For the hipoly you add those petty details, for the lowpoly you remove anything that doesn't contribute to the silhouette.

Nice gun so far but it's a little too mini--the trigger/handle is way too big compared to the size of the barrels, which, according to your proportions, would fire BBs.

Also, please post images without so much blank space, makes it hard to view consecutive images and just plain wastes space. Oh, and post your wires, always! smile.gif

Keep it up, you're doing well.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Removed some excess blackspace from the first pics, and heres a wire, unsmoothed mostly
    MinigunWire.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg

Will look into adjusting the size of the handle, since that's easier than rebuilding the barrels. But not sure how much smaller I can make it, the character that's supposed to hold it has pretty big hands :P