Home Technical Talk

what's a good digital camara to get.

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi I'm kind of looking to get a good digital camera. I was looking at a few. I don't really think I need more than 6 mega pixels. I looking to spend between 300 to 400 usd. The thing I want is a high optical zoom and good camera lens. I thinking of getting this the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H7/B 8.1MP Digital Camera 15X Optical 2.5 inch LCD USB. I like the fact that you get the charger. I liked this Canon Canon PowerShot S3-IS 6.2 Megapixel Digital Camera, but having to buy the charger and av plug separate adds an extra 120 dollars. I'm looking to go take pictures for textures and just reference of environments. Which cameras are great for this.

I was wondering if buying texture libraries was a good idea to do industry work? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alex

Replies

• Ape.of.Gods
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ape.of.Gods polycounter lvl 15
    I've always bought a Canon digital camera and let me just say have had nothing but problems with them. If you have a tripod and plan on taking still textures it works well, but anything else is just a gong show depending on how charged your battery is...yeah, they suck.
  • CrazyButcher
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys. Crazy, not really the type of camera I'm looking for, I really looking for something more like a manual 35 mm camera, but digital of course. Although I'll have to look into the Ricoh ones that Hawken mentioned in that thread, maybe my lenses from my Ricoh might fit the digital, I won't hold my breath though.

Alex
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've got the Sony DSC-H7 and it's superb. Most of my Flickr stuff from the last 5 months is taken with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickstirling/
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my main use is pics of my kids. If it was for work/art I'd go for a DSLR like Rick's.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys. Rick you have some really nice pictures on your Flickr account.

Update. I went ahead and bought the Sony DSC-H7 since I was able to get for 274, which I thought was a steal. wink.gif

Alex
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have that sony Cybershot aswell, I love it:)! Great you've bought it, how do you like it now that you've bought it?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I'll let you guys know when it arrives. wink.gif I hope it's nice and cloudy when it gets here too so I can go and take some pictures for my texture library. I was actually thinking of canceling the order from the place I got it from because the sales rep was a prick. The company wanted me to confirm my order which I did, no biggie, then the rep asked me if I wanted to get the rechargeable battery which I thought was odd since I thought the camara came with it, because it comes with a charger. I asked and he said the battery that shipped with it last 20 minutes. So I decided fine and got it and I mentioned I wanted a gig memory stick. Then he started to want to add more shit, and when it reached the 499 mark I got pissed and said no. I'm thinking of returning the thing and getting it elsewhere since I'm still kind of pissed about the guy being all pushy and shit. I think I'm getting old, since pushy pricks are really starting to rub me the wrong way, and I used to be able to just brush it off. Now I just want to flatten them. wink.gif

Alex
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happened with my purchase too, but you just have to shrug it off. You can also use his zealotry to your advantage, feigning disinterest etc. to get him to sweeten the deal.

I wanted an extra battery too, even tho the cam uses little juice. Avoided the extended warranty of course (waste of money since most cams these days are reliable). He threw in some other goodies.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought my camera when I was across in the states earlier this year (exchange rate made it a sensible decision).

I had tried to buying on in New York, the folk in the shops basically were trying to sell me something I didn't want, cameras without features I did want.

In New England and walked into a shop and asked, the guy came back with 3 or 4 cameras, when he didn't know one of the questions (exposure bracketing) he went off and got all the details off the net, printed them out, came back and confirmed the features and then proceeded to show me exactly how they worked.

Sold.

Camera, 2 gig stick, extra bits for $400, just under £200 at that time.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember which store Rick?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was a Best Buy of all places, in Hyannis
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heh, what a wonderful place where I got my camera, first I get bs from the rep and now I get a freaking email saying my order is on back order, this is after it got processed and I paid payed extra for faster shipping. I was expecting it today. It's cloudy, but no they over sold it they say. So I checked my email just a few minutes ago and I get this. The pricks still have the item show on their site as in stock, www.bwayphoto.com they should rename it as bsphoto.com. wink.gif The guy said I should expect it in two to three weeks. LOL, yeah I said no just cancel please. I might have to go to Best Buy myself.

Alex
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Mine was from a duty free shop, it was like 180 cdn fro ma friggin' SONY T-50 and it was 8 months ago.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Got the camera today after I got out of work this morning. I got it at Staples and they had it for 350. I figured it beat the shipping and the wait from getting it online, so I got it and a two gig stick for it. I'll be making a thread in the pimp section soon with some environments. The guy at the store was nice. wink.gif

Alex