Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

snipery thing

peet
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
peet polycounter lvl 10
hey, hey!

so this is my first post here, after many months of reading and gazing in awe at what you all get up to here...

this was my first ever attempt at low poly; originally my aborted effort for the cgtalk sides dominance war. i've had a bit of free time again recently so i've been trying to finally finish him up.

it's also my first try at normal mapping anything other than a test box and my first go with HLSL, so i'm hoping you'll all rip it to shreds and help put things back into perspective for me...

what i've read here has proved invaluable to getting this chap done, so thanks for that, at the very least grin.gif

anyway, enough witless prattle:

low_c.jpg

low_d.jpg

currently sitting at 5565 tris...

ta for looking!

Replies

• joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I'm confused at what this creature is. I guess I should ask what a Snipery Thing is.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    fun stick-like alien creature. i think if his fingers were longer on all three hands, his helment was a more top-heavy interesting shape, his proportions would jive better.
  • peet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peet polycounter lvl 10
    joe gracey - heh, guess i should've explained it better. here's the original thread if that helps at all...

clicky

killingpeople cheers! i think you've got a bloody good point, actually. my time spent on this thing has been so erratic i'm not sure if i'll find the willpower to go back and think up better solutions for things like that. but i definitely appreciate the advice, though!

so, whilst i'm in a rare de-lurked mode i'll post a shoddy update on this thing: finally got round to rigging the little bugger : )

viewport grab:

dom15.jpg

and here's a rather hastily botched together walk cycle to test it out:

walk cycle test mov

lots of things wrong but what the hey, it seems to work...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i dunno if it'd take that much effort to implement kps changes- just scale and tweak bits of the low poly mesh. I know this might create some subtle stretching of the texture but i'd try it, and see if it looked better before or after. The overall effect is what gives the main impression after all
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Where's that subtle rifle from the concept?

Anyways I like the mummy resemblance...

But he could use a crotch though, it seems like you have legs growing out of the abdomen area.
  • peet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peet polycounter lvl 10
    rooster - oop, i think i misunderstood kp's original advice. thanks for the clarification, though.

in my experience when more than one person gives you the same advice it'll blatantly be worth making the changes... cheers for the extra motivation!

hopefully the texture stretch will be negligible, t'was my first low-poly model so i think i might have screwed a few things up along the way. but it's definitely worth a shot
    smile.gif

pliang - heh, i really should get round to that. at the rate i'm going it'll be finished in time for the end of the next dominance war tongue.gif

the lack of crotch stemmed in part from the semi-mummified design and thinking that the skin and muscle mass would shrink in towards the pelvis bones. i think perhaps the way i've rigged it has made it look worse than intended, though. i'll have a look at that tomorrow as well and see if there's something i can do about it. still a bit of a noob at this laugh.gif

cheers for the crits so far!
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I actually like the concept... I think it will help a lot when you model the gun and get him (it?) into a pose.