Home General Discussion

If Bungie Bails On Halo 4,Who Will PickUpThe Slack

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
An interesting topic over at the MTV blog. what are your thoughts on this subject what developer would you choose to pick up the pieces check it out:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/10/03/if-it-couldnt-be-bungie-then-who-would-make-halo-4/

I would love 2K Boston to take over the series, With the success of Bioshock but i would think they would be too busy with Bioshock2 so theres a 20:1 chance of it happening.

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I nominate: no one! They can end the trilogy in style by actually ending on the 3rd installment.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Per, seeing as he loves it so much tongue.gif not that thats a bad thing.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I vote Per as well.

-caseyjones
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Seriously I would vote Splash Damage now that they are done with Quake Wars !
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They certainly have the artistic talent, and its in the UK where getting a work permit should be easier for me tongue.gif. Not that I would get in with all the sick artists there. They would probably be my genuine pick also if it had to be developed by someone else.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I vote Gearbox tongue.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I half expect the industry to play hot potato with the Halo franchise for two reasons.
    1) Whoever picks up the pieces will be saddled with the blame of ruining the franchise, when in all actuality fans arms will finally wear out from waving their Halo flags and see its for what it is, for the first time, then promptly cannibalize whatever company "ruined their beloved franchise".

2) It's some big shoes to fill and a heavy burden to carry. Would MS market the next Halo bigger and better than 3 for a 3rd party studio? How the hell is that possible? It also remains to be seen how the next installment would be built tech-wise. Would whatever company maintain the Halo engine or would they attempt to break new ground and risk mucking it up, in hopes of making it easier to work with and shorten the dev time?

I'm sure some money grubby whore will be all to anxious to grab at the Halo Money Wagon even if it takes his/her studio down with it.

Edit, heh, I iz grud spillar
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Ha. "See it for what it is" 2.7 million people still haven't, apparently. But I certainly don't want to be around when they turn companies into canals! laugh.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sigh, when I say see it for what it is, I don't mean to make it sound like its a bad game. Its a good game. I'm not sure it lives up the hype, or that rabid Halo fans are the most objective. Honestly I think if a lot of them took off the beer goggles they would see there are other great games out there. But you never forget your first love...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    But you never forget your first love...

[/ QUOTE ]

My first love was Ghost Recon on the pc, and yet I'm pretty comfortable saying halo is somewhat irrefutably incredible. tongue.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where is HaloNut#1 to truly derail this thread with another "Halo is good, NO it's super-spifferific-trip-the-light-fantastic!" discussion?

Ghost Recon? Really?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Ghost Recon? Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, did you play the first one? It + expansion packs and Operation Flashpoint were what really got me into shooters. Also the first games I played online. (/n00b)
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, did you play the first one? It + expansion packs and Operation Flashpoint were what really got me into shooters. Also the first games I played online. (/n00b)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yum. GR1 was a great game.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I'm putting down my vote for NanaOn-Sha. Hells ya!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    No there should be no Halo 4. Leave it as a trilogy and let Bungie do something awesome and new.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I vote b1ll and robG as the artists, supposing a 4th halo happens.
    Which should be never.

Though, i've heard mulitiple people say that if another halo game isn't released, they're going to go apeshit crazy and blow everyone away with their "plasma rifles"
    Yes, some people are fucking stupid.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    There is waaaay too much $$ at stake to not release a 4th Halo.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    That's probably why they put 'THE STUNNING CONCLUSION TO THE HALO TRILOGY' on the back of the freakin case.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't stop them from doing something that covers before the first halo was discovered or diving deeper into the universe that doesn't involve the Halo stuff.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The halo universe has not ended, but the story arc of MC saving earth has. More games will get made in that universe as its an already a well established universe with lots of fans.
    I can't wait to see what the next story arc will be in the halo universe. A FPS/RPG based around a gun for hire or team could be fun where you can buy guns, armor, vehicles, and ships and get experience in what ever you use most. Like mass effect in the halo universe with more of an emphasis on weapons not "magic".
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    next up is "The Master Chief Chronicles"
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Who should make Halo 4?

Electronic Arts, of course!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Halo 4 was canned but Halo Tennis and Master Chief Cookery are still coming out on the DS this winter.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I really think they are just touching upon what is really possible with the "whole" halo universe. It's kinda like Star Wars where all kinds of shit can be added and made. Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 2, Battlefront Series, KOTOR series, Republic Commando. It really could dive really deep into this and if done right be really cool.

A "pre" Halo would be cool with more of the Spartans and the events leading up to the first game.

What is going on at the end of Halo 3? Drifting in space. Who knows where he could end up. Maybe it won't be the Halo that MC needs to stop and maybe not the covenant at all. Hell I would even like to see a story arc involving another one of the Spartans that was rumored to still be alive.

Or maybe even a new generation of Spartans.

We will see in dear time I am sure. The Halo name is worth way too much money for it to end here. As a business perspective you know this isn't the end.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't the Halo RTS cover the pre-FPS time period?

My money is on Microsoft buying a few industry luminaries to develop the game that they want inhouse. There's very little chance of the game diverging from the existing franchise. You don't screw with a formula thats sold so many units. They'll begin a new story arc with Master Chief starting pretty much where ever Halo 3 finished. But not a sequel, oh my no.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Halo 4 was canned but Halo Tennis and Master Chief Cookery are still coming out on the DS this winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget Covenant Cart Racing for the Wii!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/1005-bungie.htm
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Our collaboration with Bungie has resulted in Halo becoming an enduring mainstream hit," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. "While we are supporting Bungie's desire to return to its independent roots, we will continue to invest in our Halo entertainment property with Bungie and other partners, such as Peter Jackson, on a new interactive series set in the Halo universe. We look forward to great success with Bungie as our long-term relationship continues to evolve through Halo-related titles and new IP created by Bungie."

[/ QUOTE ]
    And thats the end of that chapter. *scarf*
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like seriously, what the hell is happening with Peter Jackson and his microsoft/halo related video games studio? All my mates around Wellington were so excited when he said he was opening a studio here, and now like a year later no news frown.gif. His film studio doesnt even have a website so its hard to track down any info, I wants my on site job frown.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The Perfect Dark Zero team at Rare makes the most sense. M$ owns Rare making it still internally developed. Plus it would make the 350 bazillion dollars they paid for Rare make sense after Halo 4 makes 350 bazillion dollars.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i was just about to post "Rare or lose" haha. i mean... Goldeneye + Halo = Win