Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE2 environment with crashed vessel

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,
I want to share current stuff that I work on right now. That is my first environment for UE2, so any C&Cs r greatly appreciated smile.gif

It was started as an entry for CgTalk game art challenge "Space Western", but I wanted to expand this and make it explorable inside some game engine. And so I abandoned the challenge and decided to work on it as long as I wil need to until I am satisfied with th result.

Basicly, it`s a kind of crashed space vessel, abndoned long-long ago. Beneath it I got a hut that was built by someone out there probaly because it is good shady place wink.gif

Here is a concept sketch:
sketchig6.th.jpg

here r wires of meshes that r done outside of UE:
wire02cm3.th.jpg
wire01gi6.th.jpg

I am currently at the stage of doing terrain and lights setup. I did a simple light rig composed of one sunlight, global ambient light and two spots for subtle bouncing light simulation on vessel`s bottom. I thought it was it, but I guess I`ll have to go with dome set to replace ambient light, cause I want to get some global illumination effect wink.gif
Here r screengrabs from UE:

editor05dd6.th.jpg
editor04ut5.th.jpg
editor03nf4.th.jpg
editor02ph5.th.jpg
editor01oo2.th.jpg

edit: cube map is not final, just something to make a reflective shader work properly :P

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing that really sticks out to me as being odd is the small wood planks that are propping up that huge space ship. Doesn't look like near enough support for something of that size. Stability is also an issue there. I remember something about not building a house upon the sand. Might want to keep that in mind as you are doing the terrain. Maybe have some bedrock or clay or something a little more stable that the fence house and supports could be on top of.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks,Xenobond
    yes, the ground actualy is not intended to be a sand, but a rocky dry soil (like in US canyons), but I probably should adjus my texture wink.gif That is a good observation.

Supports r actually metal rails (probably not enough evident on screens, sry for that). They don`t actually support the whole mass, they r "just in case", so that some parts wouldn`t fall on the hut, but i`ll maybe put more of them. However, in terms of their solidity, that is intentional. I wanted to obtain wierd contrast, like Salvador Dali does.
    thanks for comments, I will work more on details.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    its not the texture but the form of the ground, I mean if its rock hard then you wouldn't have such smooth sandy flows, but a more jagged rocky crater

I mean farming soil would give this
    http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/superman-lives/set3.jpg

imagine what hard rocky soil would do
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just awesome picture man, that`s what I need!! Thanks a lot.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for ur suggestions, they really influenced my workflow wink.gif

Well, here is some update.
    Here I continued working on relief (I`ve atually redone it so that it looks less sandy desert but more South American). Also some plants and rocks start to appear. But I want to make small rocks a bit more sharp. There will be also bigger rocks around the place and a bit actually inside the "gameplay" area.
    I also redid the lightning which is now done with dome light to achieve some more GI look. However, UE2 seems to be not the best thing to do that frown.gif

and btw, no more thin planks supporting the vessel:) If it gives impressions different from mine I prefer not to use it. I want to be sure that the picture is equally clear to everyone!

shot00001zl2.th.jpg
    shot00002fa3.th.jpg
    shot00003rw9.th.jpg
    shot00004zf0.th.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update smile.gif

Advancing with terrain. Adding texture layers, adjusting plants etc. I added large rocks around to isolate accessible area. Also some rocks r added in the middle to make the "rock circle" less artifically looking. And eventually I started adding some smaller rocks in front of vessel as if they were pushed during the crush.

However, I am still not 100% sure about large rocks. To me sometimes they appear whether being too repetitive whetehr reveliong too much the initial box that I srtarted them from. But still they don`t make me unhappy, so I am not really sure what to do with them wink.gif

Sky and BG image that u may see behind is just a rough setup, I will work on it a bit later.

shot00000ek0.th.jpg
    shot00001vh4.th.jpg
    shot00002hh7.th.jpg
    shot00003ve7.th.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I like it better without the supports. IMO, the ship probably has enough front weight, to stay stuck in the ground without supports (not to mention its partially under dirt). My only other thought is that the ship has not dirt or dust in the little exposed hex shapes. I would think the wind would have blown crap in there by now.

Looking good though
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    looking good. i especially like the bushes. i think they need a little more depth. maybe make the bushes a little darker near the center/bottom.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    I love this kind of stuff. Even though I'm not qualified to talk about the technical aspects, I love the imagery and...pathos... which a scene such as this conjures up.

I like the way the ship's colour blends with the sky, too. And you added the, erm, impact trail? in the ground, like the ship really did crash land and push a wedge of dirt which is left behind it (missed that in the first screens).

I agree with notman...a little dirt in the cracks would be good, but be carefull not to overdo it. Would you mind posting wires of the larger rockchunks? I'm curious how you handled the highpolys...photoshop or max geometry?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ever thought about having the large rocks be a different color than the rest of the place? Maybe something red? I go to a family reunion up in northern Arizona, and there are some wonderfully colorful places out there that you wouldn't normally think of seeing in a dry desert area. The results of volcanic activity and weathering get some interesting hues of oranges, reds and pretty close to purples.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    I personally would have used a combination of geometry and transparency maps for the shredded metal, as the polygonal method you are using looks unnatural and low-quality.. Otherwise I love the interior structure of the vessel, and everything else is shaping up.

Oh, and one more thing the rocks and bushes could use a little more differentiation in color so that everything doesn't look so monotone.. If you're looking for a monotone look, you should still add some other colors in there to break up and add some contrast to help with visual recognition.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for ur C&Cs!! There r really some aspects I didnt even think about, and now I am eager to adjust my stuff wink.gif I will work on some more color variation, adding dust (where possible and not too painful smile.gif ), more bush variation and, of course, the vessel itself.

MacD, yes, there is an impact trail. I will add a bit more stones and suff in font of the vessel though. Sry, this time I forgot about wires, but I will add them later on.

For now I re-worked damaged parts of the vessel. Now there r a bit more distortions and details added to edges, new layer with opactity, some cracks etc. also i added some junk on hut`s roof.

shot00007nk5.th.jpg
    shot00006uq2.th.jpg
    shot00005lk0.th.jpg

Moreover, I am puting some detached part on the ground behind the vessel to add more connection with the ground (on later screens though).
    Thanks again for all helpful suggestions guys, I did a good choice to post my work here smile.gif
  • Pavel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man...that is awesome stuff...really...i very like this...keep doing
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's looking really damn good. Keep it up smile.gif
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman, Pavel - thanks guys. Glad u like it.
    Here is some update.
    Fortunately UE2 appears to support vertex color blending of texture layers, so I added dust to the hut and vessel`s interior as u guys suggested. Unfortunately i cant add it to reflective or transparent surfaces cause engine does not supoort mixing there frown.gif
    I also added slight color variation to bushes, and forgot about small rocks, dam smile.gif Huge stones became a bit more red though.
    Reflection is still temporary cause surrounding is not yet done.
    Ah, and of course distant environment now in the scene.
    shot00009md9.jpg

shot00012jp2.jpg

shot00013rc9.jpg

shot00018ey1.jpg

shot00016mf5.jpg

shot00015yt1.jpg

MacD , here r some wires from editor. Poly clipping is not yet setup, so i will optimise later on. however, I did one mistake at the beginning. My Terrain could be 1/4 of actual resolution, but it is due to lack of knowledge at the start:(
    But still it seems to ru smoothly, but could be better. That is my price of triel and error...

wire04mj6.jpg

wire03sm4.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great! I love the painted texture look. The final piece looks almost like a concept.
    Crits:
    - The structure pattern inside the ship is very weird and "unrealistic". From a distance it holds up great and looks like there is more inside the ship, almost like you pulled the skin off a building. But in the close up shot it looks like dense, weaved basket pattern. Very thick, and doesn't really match what you see at a distance. It seems unnecessarily dense and uninteresting. Part of what would draw me to explore this object is the broken ship parts, when I get the close up view its a let down =/

- The ground seems really dense. I would rather see those polys used for more interesting details.

- The scrub brush looks like it's defuse is one color and the only thing defining it is the opacity mask. Which makes it just a noisy mess when its as dense as it is. If the only thing defining it is the silhouette, packing a bunch of it together will only destroy the silhouette of each bush.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

- The ground seems really dense. I would rather see those polys used for more interesting details.

[/ QUOTE ]

He already mentioned this, man.

[ QUOTE ]
    Terrain could be 1/4 of actual resolution, but it is due to lack of knowledge at the start:(

[/ QUOTE ]

It's getting there, man. Still doesn't feel quite hot there, yet. Maybe some saturation in the color of your sunlight, or just making it more intense.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, Xenobond thanks for crits. Good points btw.

I agree about bushes and i will tweak the texture. It actually has some gradient beside just plain color, but since it is noticable, I think i gotta change it wink.gif
    Thanks

What concerns the ship, I also try not to do forever and find balance between time and result. I wanted to show heavyness of the insides. Some appearance as a bee nest was also the goal. After all aircraft structure is similar to basket wink.gif And it is dense cause there bunch of stuff inside. But I will consider that, maybe I could find some fix. Thanks Vig.

The trick about terrain is that the resolution defines its dimentions as well. At the beginning i just didnt know that one can define lower resolution and then scale up the whole terrain (which is done NOT by a simple scale tool obviously), but all that stuf is barried somewhere in so non-artist-friendly manner that if u dont get the explanation on a specific aspect u wont even know about that frown.gif So I went for higher terrain res, but I dicovered the alternative too late...

Xenobond , yeah, I probably need to go for more saturation.

thanks again guys.
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathorne polycounter lvl 17
    This blows my socks right off! I really like the look and feel of the environment and the painterly textures. Definitely more interesting than most "next-gen" environment out there.

If anything, how about making the impact trail a bit darker/burned? I realise that the impact probably was long ago but I think it would emphasize the story behind it, even though it might not be totally realistic.

Any chance of getting to fly around ingame?
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Nice, I really like this environnement!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [DLS]Merskum, sama.van, thanks for encouraging comments wink.gif

Yes, this project is intended to be available for download so that u can run around on ur own. Unreal runtime engine is free for download from Unreal Dev Network website, so it shoul not be a problem for no one.

I will probably adjust the trail since I already got severl people saying similar thing that it might be deeper or rougher or anyhow more evident.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    damn i really like this man, maybe some sort of cactus like plants ? or even wildlife dunno , this is looking awesome and its uengine 2 so its even moar awesome, congrats !
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this is really starting to shape up into the essence of coolness! All you need is some interesting detail in the outskirts and an inside to the ship that you can explore. If you can do it, you should make the interior of the ship low-gravity wink.gif
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    That's a strange location to build a hut tho. Looks like the thing could fall down on it anytime :/
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    molodez matroskin! smile.gif

Seriously doing this kind of stuff is invaluable, make another one!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and here is another update.
    After all the C&Cs I`ve had here what I currently came up with.

Terrain was redone and optimised (5 times tri count drop in camera view!). This made shadows more ugly and decorations less precise but still I think it was worh it;)

imgwireza5.jpg

I added ruined mine entrance to make player spawn location more logic:

img06gf8.jpg

The hut has got a ramp and some furniture as well as voulme lights:

img03eg6.jpg
    img02dh1.jpg
    img01jl8.jpg

I worked on adding more variations and saturation to terrain, stones and shrubs. However, in-game colors appear to be a bit more saturated then in windows or on screengrabs. Also far objects r desaturated a bit by distance fog. But I think I will stop with these colors:

img05js1.jpg
    img04ms1.jpg
    Aslo the impact trail is more rough and burned, plus some more rocks alongside.

Eventually it should be done next wek or in two weeks. I need to optimize rendering (that wont be much though), add detail grayscale textures, some sounds and upload it for u wink.gif

Thanks for all ur helpful suggestions!
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa! The landscape and brush are really working with each other now. The brush seems a bit more defined but not enough to become an eyesore, but doesn't blend in with the ground that you can't tell it's there - good job.

The only qualm I have any more is the inside of the house is too bare. Give it a few planes with transparency layers of trash and possibly some sand that blew inside the house. Make it feel like it hasn't been tidied up in a while.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey MatroSkin! Your project is shaping up very well!! It seems like a fun enviro to travel and explore. If ever you need more advice, I dont know how UE2 worksm but you could try lowering the value of the metal and make it more shiny or add some variation to the colors to the ground and shelter. ( im guessing that would be in the final stage of the project )

...but man, great work! Keep it up.

and thx for the link you sended me on UE3.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i know it is a dry desert but add some cactus or something green to break the monotony , also inside the house i knot it is kinda hard but try adding shadows, even if you use alpha mapped planes etc or even vertex paint ! loving this !
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking hot man.

Second what johny suggested.

Anything to break up the desert more and add some interest.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!
    Yep, I will add some larger greener bushes as well as some more grass/dust on the floor; good points.
    Meanwhile here r some objects for the interior plus some ligths work:

shot00022hi1.jpg
    shot00033ls5.jpg
    lampae0.jpg

and the corn bag, but I am not completely happy with it yet frown.gif
    baghn3.jpg

wizo, good to hear from u after a while. I just dint get well the lowering of metal value. U mean, u suggest make it less reflective?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    really cool man, but not any way of adding shadows to the furniture ? not even with a shado map baked into a plane and with transparency ?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a good idea Johny. I wonder how much AO you could fake using that technique?
    The table looks like its a custom texture? So he might be able to paint/bake some lighting into the defuse, same with the other props. If the floor is a fully unwrapped texture all to itself you could paint the shadows right into it as well as create wear patterns in high traffic areas.

Lets dig into the floor.
    shackfloorpaintover.gif
    - The gaps between the floor boards is almost perfect like brick work. The bricks in a brick wall are defined by the grout. By this I mean you can have a solid brick color as a background and when you add the grey grout the bricks are defined. This is not how you want to approach a wood floor like this. Floors have dirt and air nothing defining as grout. Wood expands, shrinks, warps and curls as it gets older leading to uneven lines between boards. It's the broken lines in in a floor like this that help sell it as wood. It looks like you painted straight brown 2px lines on a wood texture to get the boards. Given how wood ages this is pretty unlikely.
    - You can paint that minor unevenness into the defuse texture and maybe help it along with bump. It's a dying art in the industry today and a highly valued skill... wink wink...
    - The wood grain pattern on most of the boards carries over to the boards around it. Making the floor more like brick work
    - How was the floor laid down? I don't see any nails. Nails create pressure points and as the boards warp, shrink and crack the nails play a big roll in how that damage is played out. Modern interlocking flooring doesn't seem appropriate in a shack... and you're missing out on some chances for details that really help sell the floor.
    - Put more colors into the wood. As wood ages it changes color. It's good that you desaturated the wood, quite a few people get that wrong and paint wood a bright yellow/brown color, thank you for not doing that =)
    But different wood cut at different times, exposed to different elements ages differently. All the wood in the scene is the same. Toss some purple around, orange, different shades of green, draw out some light yellows and tans play with the saturation. If you can, treat the areas of the texture that would be effected by different things, separately. Such as the wood exposed to light would age differently then the wood in a darker, more moist area. That is tricky if you use tiles but not impossible.

It's all shaping up very nicely! Keep plugging away its looking great!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for hints and suggestions!
    That texture sketch is very helpful Vig, I used as a base for updated floor texture;) Btw, different aging is now done by adding dust overlay to exterior patches of wooden floor.
    Unfortunately floor (and walls) is tileable texture, so no AO baked in it frown.gif No plane with opacity shdow mask over it neither, cause I already have light beams and I am getting Z-buffer bugs if several polys with alpha overlap on the screen frown.gif Pitty, but I guess it`s still ok, since there r even current gen games that dont have every single shadow from each object, unless it uses raytraced hard shadows everywhere.
    Anyways, here is waht i worked on this weekend.

Globally: crash trace more deep, large, it has small hills along the edges:
    crashtraceob5.jpg

More stuff: jars, tool box, bucket and old water pump:
    toolsrg4.jpg
    jarsgi2.jpg
    waterpumpyd7.jpg

And here is general overview of updated interior:
    interiorfj9.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looknig nice man laugh.gif so i have a question, is it possible to vertex paint ? if yes i would add some cuts in the geometry near intersections and then paint the vertex there to give shadow, or you could go nuts and subdivide that and use faogen to render amboc to the vertex. i might be talking out of my ass so excuse me if it doesnt make sense smile.gif
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, good idea Johny.
    Yes, I am using vertex colors; however, before, when I was trying to add kinda of AO to an empty hut interior, it wasnt visible due to not very bight lighting inside, so eventually i abandoned that idea to fake AO for already shaded areas. The problem is in a wierd way how UE2 mixes its own vertex color from lights with existing veretx colors of the mesh.
    But since I got more lights inside the hut now I might try vertex color AO again wink.gif Why not...
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frown.giffrown.gif nope, I cant add vertex color display for the hut... Cause I forgot that I already use vertex color to mix dust and wood textures, and its blacks do not correspond to the shadow, and I cant have another vertex col. channel frown.gif

now good news wink.gif Here is a bit of update.

1) landscape got more variation with addition of kaktuses, second type of shrubs and by increasing plants' saturations globally. I also added kinda huge flying cities/ships to the sky zone along with some dust particle effect that they produce. I decided to add a small improvised landing spot as well. It will have a couple fuel tanks on the side:

landscapesy6.jpg

fueltanksey3.jpg

2) crash trail got more rocks and junk along it:

junkvy7.jpg

Voila, that's it for now. Hope u like it, C&Cs r welcome wink.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    you can take a screenshot of the table as if the lightsource was the camera, then extract the shape in PS and make it black on a 50% grey background then blur it the way you want and use that as decalprojector blow the table, it's a very easy and efficient way to fake shadows
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man, glad you saw my crits over @ GameArtisans. The new green grass looks great, I'd still try and work the details within the crash trail a bit more. Otherwise this is definitely shaping up...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed with the above...however even with fog the BG is starting to look real empty compared to the scene....
  • JoeinNC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, kinda reminds me of the Pilot ship from Alien
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man, i got some experience with the Unreal engine too! i like how your doing enviornmentl art with it though! not many people do that just for art purposes... plus when you do that you really get to show off the engine.

a couple things you should do...make a couple new deco layers on your terrain with some rock meshes... make it especially heavy along the crash path, as something like that would have thrown rocks EVERYWHERE.

make a cubemap into an enviornmental map and combine it with the diffuse shader for your spaceship outer hull... you can mask the specularity slot with a texture i believe. that will make the spaceship look more interesting.

I think your sky should be set in the evening.. desert skies are usually look great with a combination of warm colors.

You could compliment this by having an area of cooler coolers eminating from the ship, perhaps alien life forms or lightning bug type things?

just some thoughts.

haha you can even make a tumbleweed emitter so they bounce along the the desert floor! that would be really cool.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    add another type of rocks to the trail, im sure when the ship crashed it left a nasty trail of whatever rocks are in the subsoil smile.gif Also listen to vahl about shadows they are killing the interior of the house frown.gif
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks everyone, I appreciate ur crits!
    vahl, Johny , I partially agree, but I guess I will leave it like that for now. First, I got issues with projectors that cast projection in both directions, there is less control over them as well frown.gif After all, shack would have (and has here) very diffused lightning cause there is no direct light that lits it except for light beams that hit the floor only. I think it is pretty much close to real lightning beside some subtle AO that just not worth doing with this engine (if ever possible). I take ur comments into consideration for next stuff wink.gif I will just have to arrange my stuff for lights better next time smile.gif

Virtuosic, thanks for C&Cs. Since meshes that r in deco layer r lit uniformly (no volume shading), I cant use big meshes, otherwise they will look plain and awkward;) Some more individually placed big stones could be fine, but I will see if they r worth more polys in my scene, cause it's rather heavy now frown.gif And I got cubemap on the vessel wink.gif

Good idea about evening time! Maybe I will do second lightning set for that later, I'd love to wink.gif

pliang, AdamBrome , yep, I agree, I got more roughness for crash trail with some distortion layer and a couple more meshes plus far-far mountains in my BG. Canyon landscapes in my reference have BG complexity pretty much like this, so I guess to end up with my current BG.

Here r BGs and the trail:

trailmh0.jpg

bgcq1.jpg
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    hey! the mountains in the background have a blurry hazzy distance fog type look and i love it! good job on making that more interesting! i see the cubemap now, looks awesome! keep up the good work man.
  • iflingpoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iflingpoo polycounter lvl 18
    hey looking goood!

just a small crit.. are those brown plate like things sposed to be broken rock? they look a bit .. smoooth around the edges? i'd imagine if something crashed through one of those rock formations it'd be more jagged?

just curious do u have a sun direction? might be cool to have a low set sun , will give u some wicked shadows castin from the rock formations you have
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys for comments.
    Yes, I see those rocks somehow too smooth as well. I just wanted them to be rather re-usable and fit into different places. They have sharp edges though, but apparently smoothing groups rounded them a bit.

And yes, I got different low sun setup wink.gif
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, it is done now 8)

Thanks everyone for ur C&Cs, and also feel free to post "postmortem" ones if u want, I'll take everything into consideration for my future works.

This was my first exp. with UE2 which I was learning while doing this environment, which wasn't going very easy so many thing were redone, f%&ed up and sometimes improved, lol.

Eventually I have made a second lighting setup for an alternative ambiance that I end up liking more

Anyways, it is possible to play both levels for ANYONE.
    There is no gameplay, nothing happens, it is just a setting.

Ok, here r 4 easy steps how to run in those levels:

1) Get UnrealEngine2RuntimeDemo form this official source:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Files/UE2/Runtime/UE2Runtime-22262002_Demo.exe
    Install it

2) Get my stuff from here:

http://194.44.185.57/dergachov/downloads/SpaceWestern_CrashedVessel.zip
    Unzip.

3) Copy/Move content from each folder that is in my pack into a respective folder of UE2 that u have just installed. For example, files from "Maps" folder go into "Maps" folder within UE2 on ur machine, etc.

4) Launch UE2Runtime and you will see both maps to select in the main menu. There will be some default UE2 maps, so my levels won't be alone wink.gif
    Note: default graphical options r pretty low, so u might go there before and adjust them for a bit more fancy look.

That's all.

I've made some ambient music so u might also turn on the sound.

Also I've recorded a realtime footage. If u can't get the stuff working with UE2, u r welcome to check the short video(R-Click > save as)

and here r some closing screngrabs:

original idea:

spacewesterndaytimeshotls1.jpg

and a second variation:

spacewesterneveningshotru8.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'll try that out before January.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i still think you could add somesort of carbonized rocks or whatnot to the trail, i know it has been along time, but that would give it "more character" , dunno its finished i guess heheh. really like the lightning, altho inside the hut shadows etc...oh well hehhe wink.gif !