Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Porsche Render Test

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pliang polycounter lvl 17
1435780573_7a836235bb.jpg

This is a mental ray test of a car i made a long time ago, I'm gonna update with some wires soon.

Any feedbacks?

The taillights are kinda streaked in my opinion.

Replies

• systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aw, snap. i'd drive it. i definitely wanna see those wires. looks like you got a bit of a weird distortion in the crease on top of the rear bumper.

cool stuff.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Refections are abit strong, can't really see the rest of the model cause of it. Also your showing the dark side of the car not the lit side, So I cant really see the detailing.

As for the taillights are you going for high poly or game? If it's high poly I model the actual bits, at least then you don't hafta worry about texture streching laugh.gif

Otherwise the over feel looks acurate.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice model man. As for the render, the specular level of the paints seems a bit extreme to me. At the moment it almost looks like it's made of mercury, although that could just be the light setup in the scene.

It seems like there's no variation in specularity of some materials used, say the paint and the metal grills on the back. The shininess/glossiness seem the same to me, which I wouldn't expect of a painted surface vs metal.

Also, there seems to be little contrast between certain materials such as the paint vs the tyres vs the rims. The tyres even seem close to the same tone of grey as the paint. That's my two cents anyway, hope it's helpful to you.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Any chance you could post these material settings? I'm having a hard time with these kind of renders, soooo many buttons to twist...

I like that car btw. If you are aiming for realism that's definately too shiny, but if you are going for a more artsy look I think its cool. Yet in that case you might want more material contrast (ex matte surfaces counterbalancing the shineyness).

Yum!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, the specularity is quite intense cuz I forgot to tone down the reflection settings plus its receptive from the HDRI map I used. I'll get on the other bits after I'm done my other project, this one was a side project. I'll also add an environment for it as it looks like a toy sitting by itself.

To Pior: Try this link, its where I learned the basics for it, but all its mostly done is in final gather and ray trace + environment under mental ray tab.

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/rendering_lighting/mental_ray/241-3.html

read long and follow the exact settings, if you dont want reflections just turn it to 0. Good luck

Thanks again guyz