Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Unicorn King

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
Just wanted to show what I started over the weekend, it is based off of a bad ass character concept from my library (not sure who the artist is, so if you know, please help me give the artist's name for credit). I tried starting from zspheres (still an odd process) then fleshed it out some more using brushes. Next I brought in the mesh and cleaned it up using polyboost, along with modeling new areas such as creating a new head from a bighorn picture, so that will need the most tweaking to get closer to the concept. Then I created some of the parts to get an idea of what the final might look like, such as the horns, and armor (which I am still working on fleshing those out). The final image is the base mesh brought into zbrush 3.1, and with the added subtools, just checked the mesh and started fleshing it out more when I decided to give it a rest. Any comments and crits are welcome, and I appreciate you guys checking it out.

Spark
Concept Art (artist unknown)
unicornkinggn1.jpg
Max Wires
wipunikinggeometrywiresdn4.jpg
Zbrush Base Mesh
wipunikingzbrushbasezm3.jpg

Replies

• Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work
    but a little larger hoes (to support such long body) and stronger neck&head may look better. i know neck&head intended to be like this but it looks weak for a warrior.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good spark! some nice Zbrush work! I think you've nailed the overall shapes but need to work on the stance.

Crits:
    - The torso leans forward too much, unless you plan to pull the shoulder pads back to add balance/bulk to its back you should adjust the stance.
    - Something kind of odd about the flow of the muscles from the ass to the thighs (in the back view). I can't put my finger on it exactly, if I do I'll edit.
    - The title implies Unicorn, horse with a horn. But the head/horns are more shaped/sized like a goat. The head looks bigger in the concept because it barrows bulk from the shoulder pads & horns. The shoulder pads follow closer to the neck and more at a vertical angle.
    - Beef up those side horns, make them thick like the concept and give them that nice flat/sharp edge detail. It will help bulk up the head.
    - I think you should extent the from part of the mouth and round it out a bit more, to match the concept closer.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, thanks for the crits so far:) I just found out who the artist is that did the concept, he goes by the name of Brutikong, so look him up as he does great work.
    Tiax: Yeah the hooves do feel sorta weak to hold up the body mass, and I did make them a little bit bigger, but maybe I do need to increase the mass some more.
    Vig: Great feedback man, yeah I tend to lean my characters a bit to much so I will pull him upright towards more of the concept stance, and as for the back view, I think I am seperating the glut muscles from the connection points in the back thighs and that is an area that isnt working but if you want to do a paintover please feel free. On the name, I was going off of what the concept was titled, and he does feel like a goat/horse in the concept which I just worked from a goat...so that will be changed through zbrush play. The horns will definetely be bigger, as they do now feel like little nubs from the head.
    Thanks again guys, and I will work on those areas suggested.

Spark
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Secret cow level, goat edition! laugh.gif Supposed to be a horse? I kinda like the goaty look it has. Goats are evil compared to horses. Evil==Good!
    The concept is indeed great, and as already been said, I would like to see your model a bit more massive, more beef. For the moment he comes off as only the prince. wink.gif Looking solid, Spark.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    well, traditional unicorns are more goat than horse, anyways. Today's kids think they're just horses with horns.

really digging the concept. i'd like to see a beardy beard and larger fetlocks, personally. and definitely a tail - almost like a lions.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Spark,

I think the artist is www.vinodrams.com who had the website darkzoo.org which is down though the first site seems to be his newest and doesn't sadly have the above sketch on the site give him a buzz to verify if he is the owner of the concept.

Looking good hope to see more progress soon.

Btw, you have Competition popular design it seems.
  • Brutikong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually the concept is mine. I work with Vinod Rams over at Raven. He had a link to Darkzoo on his site. Darkzoo was my site until I let it expire recently.