Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

art test wip (update: with reflection map ?)

Maddness
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Maddness polycounter lvl 11
So I am currently working on this art test for a company, and I have to model an ice cream truck. it's got a limit of 8k tri's w/o tires and so I'm working on the modeling stage now.

I just wanted to get some crits and suggestions to make this go very well.

Also, is it always good to get as close to the poly limit as
possible? or does it look bad when you're 2k under or so?

so here's the pic. i appreciate the suggestions and help!

- mike

ice cream truck wip

edit: oh! here's the concept art they sent me for reference.
they said they wanted the shape to be the same, but the graphics could be different.

Concept

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Depending on what sort of game it is, the letters up top need to be affixed to the cone thing to explain why they are floating in space.

The doors on the concept are open, and yours is a closed mesh. Is this part of the instructions?

Need an exhaust pipe in the back.

Looking pretty good. Sometimes as long as you are under the limit is all that really matters. If you are too much under you might have missed some details, but if you are really close it might mean you are wasting tris. Really just a guessing game, use your best judgement and get the right shape and keep it under count is all that really matters sometimes.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, i haven't added the fixtures for the letters yet.

if you're talking about the ice cream windows, then yea. they said not to do the underside or the interior. so i was thinking about just putting a black texture there, or fake the
    inside with a texture. or should i just open that up and just not add any detail?

and yea i totally missed the exhaust pipe.

thanks. i plan on making the ice cream top look better through normal maps, as well as little details like the bolts on the frame and door lining and stuff like that.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    whipped-cream seems to have a lot of unnecessary cuts.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can clean it up. i guess at the time i was thinking i could leave it there to get closer to the poly limit, but if they are unnecessary, i guess they'd hurt more than help. so i'll clean that up.

thanks sectaurs.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    couldn't you just put the ice cream text part on the actual cone and make the mat. look like its lit? seems like a bunch of polys to add just for silly text. ya might also think about optimizing the actual icecream part on top, lots of subdivisions that could be cut down without a big drop in the overall shape.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you mean just have the letters as part of the cone and normal map the letters on the cone. they said they wanted the shape of the truck and stuff is fine. do you think just doing that would be against that instruction?

also, i agree i could clean the ice cream up more.

i also have another question. they wanted a repeating texture on the truck, i figure the best part of the truck to do that would be the actual body. would you consider it stupid to put the decals and stuff that are on the truck on a seperate transparent plane that's placed on top of the truck, or would that be considered dumb?
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    How many days did they give you to complete the test, it looks like a fun test to do. smile.gif
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i actually have till october the 1st. i've put about 2 hours into it. sadly i also have an 11 hour job that i have to work at to pay the bills.

I'm enjoying it greatly so far, and I hope it works out for me. The company sounds like a great place to work, and the location is the best!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    could be just me but the truck looks overly wide.

-Buddikaman-
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry but a couple more questions, what texture sizes are they letting you use, and is this the first art test you've done?
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, this isn't the first art test i've done. i've done 2 others. but this is the first vehicle one. actually the first vehicle i've ever done period. even though it's a simple shape.

as far as textures i have a 6 1024 map budget.

and buddikaman: you think it's too wide? i figured it'd need to be a little wide to be able to walk around in the cab and have the ice cream refrigerators and stuff.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    that art test seems a bit idiotic, 8000 tris and 6 1024x1024 ??? damn i wish my art test was like that ! still you could make it look good with just a 2048x2048 , and thats a bit overkill for a ice cream truck, unless you will be seeing it 70% of the game...meh dunno , keep going, shaping up well smile.gif
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it's weird. they actually insist that i don't use single sheets. and they actually want a repeatable texture.

guess i'll feel really lame if i fail it then :/
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good so far.

Might be a stupid question, but why does the concept say "Jean's Ice Cream" while your model says "Dave's Ice Cream" ?

Also, the placement of the letters does not align to the placement in the concept.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverending: well they said that i could change the name of the truck and also that they liked irreverent humor, so I have a theme i'm going for. that's all

and i see that i need to actually make the letters larger. but i didn't think the rotation of the letters was a big deal. think that matters a lot?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Oh, I was just asking because I thought you were trying to match the concept as closely as possible. If you have room to put your spin on it, then I'm sure it's cool.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just an update with some changes i've made, and some cleanup.

Ice Cream Truck Wip 2

if no one has anymore suggestions or comments for the model, i'm going to start on the uv's and normal maps.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good. As they gave you such a highpolygon count i'd add some details on the geometry, perhaps those freeze stuff on the top as they are on the concept, that little red/white thing on the side, the front glass cleaners, yours seem a bit flat, perhaps some more geometry there... dunno, just random details you might be missing, as if they gave you 8k triangles you might want to make it detailed. I don't mean waste triangles on useless details, but don't make it underdetailed just to save a few triangles. Take a look to racing game car models, i'm guessing this model purpose to be something on that line.

Also i'm guessing those 6 texture maps already include all channels right? So you got 2 diffuse, 2 normal and 2 specular maps or something eh?

Could be completly wrong on everything said above haha Good luck there anyway.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    OK, before you go and start on all that, what's the actual wording of the test with regards to the textures? Is it 6 1024's to use how you want? Is it 6 1024's and you must have specs and normals? Or is it the equivalent of 6 1024's and no single texture is larger than 1024? This could make all the difference as to how you've modelled it being the best for the textures.

Also, 8000 poly's with no interior and no underside is a lot of polygons for such a relatively simple shape (sounds like madness to me wink.gif). You're wasting quite a few of them though (especially if you have to tile the textures - more madness to my ears). For example, your cherry stalk has a lot of polygons for how small it is, yet your wheels are 12 sided and look low poly in comparison (no hub details - yes you can normal map it, but having some geometry there to boost the map is a big help - normal maps can't occlude after all).

You can also cut through the model from side to side even though you're not doing an interior. Just cut right through there, and when you texture it make those interior verts flat black, so no interior required, but you can see through the other side of the model like you can int he concept.

There's a lot more I can see actually... but I have to go out. If you can wait a few hours I'll do a sketch over to show some of what I mentioned above, and where some of the other problem areas are.

Hurm, I just noticed my system clock is borked, so I have no idea when you posted - you might have finished texturing by now wink.gif Ah well, even if you have I'll do the paint over and you can learn from it for next time (art test, or when you start your job, whichever).

3 last questions - Do you have a portfolio? What's your final polycount? Of that count how many poly's are in just the letters around the cone?
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    ..a small point - the concept has a moulded trim around the wheel arches and the bottom of the truck. I'd say putting that in is a must given your poly budget.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    I think your scale on your megaphones is off,they look to small in your model when compared to the concept.

John
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    The front window is also more rounded on its corners in the concept than you have it in the model currently, the cherry is larger as is its stem, and the cone is a lot less tapered at the bottom as well. Also, I'm thinking Vitor is right with the test being similar to current next-gen racing game specs. Also let us know if there were any guidelines as to how those six 1024's are supposed to be used. I mean you could actually break them up:

1 x 1024 Diffuse (Truck)
    1 x 1024 Normal (Truck)
    1 x 1024 Specular Color (Truck)
    1 x 1024 Gloss (Truck)

1 x 512 Diffuse (Cone)
    1 x 512 Normal (Cone)
    1 x 512 Specular Color (Cone)
    1 x 512 Gloss (Cone)

1 x 512 Environment Map (Both)
    2 x 512 Environment Mask (Truck / Cone)

That would leave you with an extra 512 to use as you want. This is of course just a suggestion and opinion and not a guideline. >_<
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sketch Over

The light blue lines are cuts you might want to make for tiling texture reasons - the one along the top for the "awning" texture, the one near the front for the rivets that are visible in the concept.

Some things not in that image you might want to consider too:
    The roof in the concept appears to have a lip that overhangs the body panels while yours rounds straight into the side.
    You have no license/numberplates - a cutout for one on the front is clearly visible in the concept.
    The sign with the available ices on the side of the truck - you might want to either cut in some poly's to make placing that easier, since you're using tiling textures, or model a board of some kind for it to sit in that stands out from the side.

One other thing - you should probably add additional polys (if you decide to add any) before removing them from the places I've listed as having to many. That way if you add all the details, you know how many poly's you need to strip to hit your budget.

Remember, while they will be looking at your test to see that you used ~8000 polys, they will also be looking at how well those 8000 poly's were used. If you have some areas that don't need them with a lot, and then other areas which do need them with very few (for example the D in th elettering compared to the wheel - which of those should have more poly's defining it's curve? IMO the wheel) then they'll make note of that.

/Edit - in the image where it says "move to avoid z fighting" I mean the mirrors themselves, not the support bar they're on.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow sorry guys. i just woke up. i work overnights so i sleep during the day.

the model is for a PSN game actually. Here's my copy/pasted restrictions and budgets

Restrictions and budgets:
    &#61607; 8000 triangles – not including the wheels (use your best judgment with them)
    &#61607; 6 x (1024 x 1024) texture budget. Use to create diffuse, normal, and specular maps. Again, don’t use a single sheet for your maps. This is a budget; it’s not to dictate map sizes.
    &#61607; A reflection map can be used and is not included in the texture budget. Use your discretion.

The wheels, as said above, don't count in the 8k tris. so i wasn't really too concerned about how they looked atm. i was going to detail them up last, but i didn't want them to be too high res.

i forgot about the fender and trim!! i'm glad you guys pointed that out. when i last posted it was right when i got home, so i was very tired, but i see the changes you guys have talked about and will be making those in a few minutes.

I haven't started uving or anything, so any modeling changes can be made now. I'm glad everyone was so helpful!

If you guys have anymore questions, please let me know, I'm about to pick up my wife from work, and then work on the truck again.

Thanks
    - Mike
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome harlequin! I really appreciate the sketch over. those are some great ideas that i agree should be fixed. i'll start working on some changes now.

and illusions, your texture breakdown is actually a great idea as well, i think i will use that for a guidline!
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, well, from the restrictions and budgets I don't think you have to rely on tiling your textures - it seems to be saying more that you can have several smaller maps, rather than you not being able to unwrap pieces individually.

That said, there ae places on the model where tiling textures can be used quite effectively. Also, with the wheels taken out of the budget I'd probably add a little more detail to the windshield wipers as Vitor suggested.

From the concept it looks as though the vehicle should be fairly cartoony in nature, something that can be reflected in the way it is textured, but it could equally be a simple rendering of something you're supposed to make look more realistic. That's a judgement call for you to make if your instructions don't make it clear smile.gif.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i know it's for the game PAIN, the PSN game. which has a cartoony look to it, except the vehicles look more serious than the characters.

so i am not sure. i would think i'd try to match that style.

they also said this:

&#61607; The condition of the truck isn’t pristine, but also isn’t a rusty junker. Let’s call it well aged.
    &#61607; The shape of the truck should remain as shown, but the graphics can be modified. Change the name if you’d like. We like irreverent humor, but it isn’t required. And don’t worry about offending us… it won’t happen.
    &#61607; We would like to see normal and specular maps where appropriate.
    &#61607; Maps do not need to exist on a single sheet. In fact, we want to see at least one example of a repeatable texture.
    &#61607; Ignore the underside of the vehicle and the interior cab. The windows should be opaque with a reflection map.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's an update with the changes from the suggestions made so far.

thanks for everyones help so far. i'm learning a lot of really nice tips about vehicles as well as ways to better think through situations.

ice cream truck wip 3

edit: oh! and as far as the back panel you had suggested harlequin. here's my idea for the truck

they said they enjoyed irreverent humor, so my plan was to make dave "the owner of the truck" a milf hunter of sorts

so the theme and paint job of the ice cream truck, is going to try to attract the single moms more than the kids to get ice cream.

so i have this idea painted in my head. i'll try and draw up a sketch before work so you can check it out.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks a lot better smile.gif Nice.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks harlequin. i think i'm finally ready to start uving this bad boy. here are some questions i have:

i know i want to uv the cone and truck seperate, but could i also break the truck down to:

fenders,side view mirrors, trim, the planks

then the body as a repeatable texture

and then for the decals, like the ice cream types and such as a floating plane sitting on top of the truck with transparency?

Hopefully that makes sense.

I drew some sketches for what i want to do with my truck, since "Dave" is sort of a pig, and is on the milf hunt, his truck is themed with erotic ice cream type things. like a rocket pop being held up in front of a womans chest perfectly in the middle, or a woman sucking on a Popsicle, etc etc etc.

hopefully it works out. they said they liked irreverent humor, and i couldn't offend them, so sounds like that'd be something they'd like.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed that the concept has you showing the back interior of the truck but your model doesn't have this. I think it would really add to the model if you created the inside area of the back. You have the use of normal maps so I am not sure why you are creating trim for the windows, also a lot of the detail in the ice cream can be obtained by using normal maps. If you were able to cut down on those modeled details then you would have more then enough tris to create the inside of the truck. It would also be nice to add some more detail then what the concept is already showing. Perhaps some boxes inside with ice cream in them. It is these little extra details that could get you the job because they don't need to ask you to go the extra mile to make a concept come to life.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well the reason i don't have the interior of the ice cream truck, is because they specifically asked me to ignore it in the directions for the test, as well as the underside. I added the trim and stuff just to give it extra depth, the normal maps i plan on using will just make the truck look a little beat up, as well as really detail out the ice cream cone.

so i see what you're saying about going the extra mile, but i also don't want to go against what their instructions were.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Looking pretty good man. I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this or not (I am a lazy reader) but why would you model in the grill in the front? I know you have 8k polys, but a normal map would actually probably be MORE affective than the way you are using those polys (looks like they are all sitting perfectly vertical, very little angle).

And just for the record, this is like the most "relaxed" art test I've ever seen lol. That is a lot of polys and textures to throw at a vehicle (specifically looks like it's supposed to be more of a prop too, than a drivable). But I guess they just want to see what you can do, rather than give you a bunch of limits.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tip flewda

man now i'll feel bad if i don't do well on the test. everyone says it's so lax.

:/ (pressure is on)

i'm currently in the uv stages now. so hopefully i'll be fully finished with that by tomorrow.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Don't sweat it man. You are off to a good start, I'm sure you will do fine. Just take as much time as you can with it, and remember to not be afraid to do iterations, or pieces over. I've been working on something new for me, and sometimes I couldn't get a piece to look right, so I just kept messing with it til I got it the way I liked it. Sounds obvious, but sometimes I know it's easier to just say "eh, it's good enough". And if messing with it a lot doesn't work, or if I am just not satisfied with what I have, I just delete it and start over. Best way to get good at something is to do it over and over again a lot of times smile.gif

J
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with you on that. i think the tips and suggestions really help me a lot though, to see things i normally wouldn't notice. you can't go wrong when you're getting the best advice from everyone.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    thanks for the tip flewda

man now i'll feel bad if i don't do well on the test. everyone says it's so lax.

:/ (pressure is on)

i'm currently in the uv stages now. so hopefully i'll be fully finished with that by tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

But thats the thing though, its not lax under certain constraints. This would be right on par with current next-gen racing games (or any sort of game where the vehicle is the main focus for the entirety of the game). For all you know this could be a concept for a vehicle in a game like Crazy Taxi, but with icecream instead. Just churn out an awesome piece. grin.gif
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i do have the advantage of knowing what game it's catered to. it's for the PSN game Pain. So i sort of have an idea what style and stuff they are using from screenshots, so that helps me out as well.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    8000 polygons is a lot.

you appear to have wasted them on fancy details that don't add much to the truck, and will be almost un-noticeable when textured. You would fair better by distributing your massive budget evenly, not weighting certain areas high poly.

If it were my assignment, I would have made crumple zones for deformation, working doors, an interior, bits that can fly off revealing inner workings, merchandise and so on. Imagine cones and tubs of ice cream flying out of the truck on tight corners, the bonnet flapping around after a few shunts, junk on the dash sliding around and even a little guy driving the whole thing. They did it for dreamcast games, so for next gen...

It's safe to bet that they are looking for you to use the budget as creatively as possible too. You don't even have working doors. I don't see this coming out well without less talk and more action wink.gif

Pull out all the stops! Is this really what you want to see in a game? It's a boring 1 dimensional truck with some high poly wheels.

Yes they said don't worry about the underside and interior, but they didn't actually say don't model them. It would be better to give them a well rounded truck asset, than "dirty" modelling, where corners are cut due to "not worrying" and not limitations.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks hawken for the suggestions and comments. the idea you've painted in my mind with the descriptions sounds awesome. reminds me of crazy taxi and stuff like that, so i see where you're getting at with the dreamcast mention.

i am just worried that by doing an interior and such it'll look like i can't follow instructions. it wasn't necessarily a "don't worry" as it was listed in the instructions as "ignore the underside and interior". so I wasn't sure that I should even attempt to do those.

oh and it's not 8000 polys, i have seen that a couple times, so checked my first post to make sure i had said it right, but it's 8000 tris or 4000 polys. so not as much as was thought.

but i do agree i should add some more wear and tear to the truck, i was just going to do it via normal maps and texturing, since they asked for normal maps on the truck as well.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Game assets are counted in tris, maddness. If they said 8000 polies, it's usually safe to assume they meant 8000 tris.

edit: haha, worst typos ever, what I get for posting before coffee
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they said 8000 tris verbatum, so wouldn't that be 4000 polys? since a polygon is 2 tris?
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A polygon is an n-sided shape, it can have any number of sides. Depending on how you model, that's usually a good approximation though.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Tri = 3 sides, quad = 4 sides, poly/ngon = any amount of sides, although it's usually implied that it isn't 3 or 4.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so just to make sure i'm not making myself look stupid (i just got off work laugh.gif) if they gave me a 8k tri limit, i should shoot for around 4000 polys
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    so just to make sure i'm not making myself look stupid (i just got off work laugh.gif) if they gave me a 8k tri limit, i should shoot for around 4000 polys

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, but it's a lot easier to just shoot for 8000 tris. wink.gif

Whatever app you're using ought to have a way to convert to tris, or check the tris in a polygon counter.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, here are some screenshots of the game the company is working on. this is the game they said the art test was for. it's a PSN game, (the XBLA of the PS3) so I have no idea how advanced and stuff the game can be for a PSN type game, but this is what i have been looking at also, to kind of get an idea of what they are looking for since they said that the art test was to find people suited to work with the style of the game.

pain01.jpg

pain04.jpg
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and maya says i'm at 7871 tri's right now.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    definitely am on the same page here as flewda on the grill being normal mapped. i also think you could get away with normal mapping the back and side windows as the trim really doesn't peel away from the sides and with the extra geo, consider hawken's points on making the asset dingier. normal map anything where the silhouette isn't really being affected.

looking great - keep up the good work!
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the grill and windows were made, in my mind, to accent the normal map. i saw this technique with quake IV, i think it was,where they created the geo, then hovered it over the base model and when they created the normal map, it gave it that extra depth.. if that makes any sense.

another thing i'm confused about is, they gave me so much texture resources, but they also want me to make at least 1 repeatable texture. i'd assume that'd be the body of the truck, so i'd just create a 256 texture or something to tile over the body of the truck, then create a new map for details, or am i making things overly complicated?