Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New environment, needs some crits...(Update 9/24)

Em.
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Em. polycounter lvl 17
Hey all, I have a serious lack of next-gen environments and modern urban settings in my portfolio. So, I gathered up a bunch of reference, picked out the elements I liked, and ended-up with this street scene. I'm at that point where I've been staring at it for so long, that I could use some crits...or 30. Anyway, I'll leave this in your capable hands, you've never lead me wrong, so thanks in advance. I'm off to sacrifice a virgin to the Polycount gods...

3DS Max, 10,050 polys
alleywip33.jpg

forpolycount.jpg

Replies

• Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Needs depth... use the lighting to achieve mmore depth, not everything needs to be lit. shadows/dark places are your
    friend ;D

The%20Alley%20at%20Night%20-%20Rod%20Boothby%20(c)%202005.jpg

Morocco_Rabat_NightAlley.jpg
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    mre spcularty + nrmal maps kthanx
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe some oil stains on the street and sidewalk, a little more grunge on the building more towards the bottom where it meets the sidewalk. I would put more grunge around the sewer grate as well.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I agree with needles, stronger lighting definitely!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Think legos or duplo, and the world will become much simpler. Everything need to have equal detail level and pixel density.

The brick work isn't even the same scale all around.
    the sidewalks have different levels of detail, they could easily be two prefabs one of two blocks, and one corner. That way you can drop in the sidewalk and stretch it out to the length you want with preserve UV's on.

Think first what you can do to make things move faster in the long run.

I'll give a paint over tonight or friday to help you out.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Alright, I've upped the contrast of the lighting.

TGZ:As far as the scale of the bricks goes, I was messing with some geometry and must have messed up the UVs when I did it so...whoops, fixed now. The sidewalk is actually modular, but I guess it must not be evident. The other issues you brought up, am def working on, but if you want to do a paintover, that'd be awesome.

Thanks for the crits, everyone, much appreciated.
    Update::
    alleywip37.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    As for the lighting try putting a light on the ground where the spot lights would be fitting the most so that it acts more like the real world.
    Get rid of the beam of light.
    The colors of lights is very important in setting the mood, having the light coming from the sky grey isn't so cool, try a blue tint.
    Redo the sidewalk geo and textures and the street tile stuff. Let the normal map do most the work.
    For this scene make it look like it just rained that way you can show of the normals and give it more pop. the varied spec on all the objects should make for a very sexy scene.

Just a few ideas to get you going in a better direction. Hope that helps.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm looks like the whole image just got darker lol, heres me playing with the brightness in Ps

alleywip37copy.png

Not perfect but it conveys what i was trying to say. I dunno bake in some Ao to soften the harshness

Hmm looks like your images are pretty dark than usual. Maybe your monitor is not well calibrated :|?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    getting closer I think the scale on your sidewalks a little off too, they currently need to walk in the street to walk past the planet and also on the side of the building it looks to be about 2 feet wide.
  • HEx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEx
    Post deleted by HEx
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you can have really good environment without normal and specular , imo some enviro artists should try to make believable scenes using difuse only and vertex color instead of jumping to the normal/specular deal , just because it has more effects it would still look bad.
  • HEx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEx
    Post deleted by HEx
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Hey everyone, some good and valid points here.

Johny: I agree with you big time, but right now I have pieces that demonstrate good diffuse work, but I'm lacking in anything that has normal/spec/emissive shown. Just trying to round out the portfolio a bit to cover more bases.

Dekard: Yeah, you're right about the scale, but I think it's the scale of the planter, it's a bit on the massive side. I used a 6 ft biped while I was building it for scale, and from what I could tell from my ref the sidewalks were the right size. Then again, everything is subject to change, so I'll take a second look.

TGZ: Yeah, the lighting is pretty much killing all of the time I put into making normal/spec maps for everything, I actually have a blue tint, but it's not showing up. Because I've done so much diffuse reliant work in the past, I guess I'm getting used to the balance between detail in the normal and detail in the diffuse, so I'll re-do those maps with your crits in mind. And yes, the comments are helping, and the rainy idea sounds like what I was trying to do in the first place, so good one.

I actually do have just about everything normal/spec and some emissive mapped. I've looked at the normal mapped objects on their own, and they are working and making a difference, it's my lighting that's killing it. When I light it like a daytime scene, everything is apparent.

What it boils down to is I'm going to scrap my lighting and start over, which is what I will do when I get back from doing laundry.
    Thanks again everyone for the crits, update later tonight.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    you need to use specular maps, and preferably normalmaps. It won't look real otherwise. The reason why it still looks a bit odd is because nothing is really reflecting the light, they are rather getting the colour of it. Everything reflects light, its just a question of how much. :P
    Overall, i think you have a great start, you can finnish it up if you add the extra texture touch!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha oh wow, this is a fucking hilarious post. You can tell from his renders he is using those maps. But damn, talk about a silly premise, you need normals and spec or else it wont look real!!! hahahaha
  • Thegodzero
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    A small update, playing with the lighting, lighting color and placement of lights, as well as material properties. I'm also continuing to play with textures and details, but here's an update either way. Thanks again for all the crits, slowly but surely I'm implementing them.

alleywip39.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the lights suggest fog yet there is no fog in the scene frown.gif
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a very dark alley, as if the lamps and light from the windows aren't affecting the darkness at all. Tho it is improving ^^ keep it up! laugh.gif
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    For all that is sacred Up the ambient lighting! Ever walk down a city at night with lighting like that? The lamps are blaring and there's ambience from signs in bars, other street lights, all bouncing and reflecting off each other.
  • HEx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEx
    @ EarthQuake,
    Excuse me for being retarded, i hope that you find it in your heart to forgive me...
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I think the biggest problem i'm seeing in your updates with lighting is there's not much transition. You either have too much light or not enough, and there's no attenuation. Try giving your lights some attenuation and falloff creating soft fades to darkness, I think it'll help a lot.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd not worry about lighting, not yet.

Before you start to consider how you want your lighting to looked I'd set up your cameras for the final composition.

This is something I do early on when I work on my portfolio scenes and it helps a lot. From there you can look at the scene overall and decide where you'd like your shadows to be casted, which assets you'd like to pull out to the viewers focus and which are better left as accents.

For this scene in particular I think you could do one of two angles: One down low, ground level, from just infront of the store and looking to the right of the alley. Or, one from way high up, looking down as if its a person looking down from a roof top. Or do both.

Either way, I'd worry about final composition over lighting. That's just me, and I tend to do personal work for the final shot and not the overally look of the scene.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that its really lacking is ambient occlusion, that will really help tie everything together. The flat hard "realtimish/d3" type lighting is never very good on its own.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Sooo...
    I am having monitor calibration issues, I've sent this to a few people and they said it was not too dark, but on my monitor, it looks horribly dark. Does it look too dark/too bright to you? Feedback esp. on this front would be awesome so I can fix the problem.
    I also broke-up my tiling brick texture with a decorative brick section.

Tinman: Tweaked my attenuation, falls off gradually as it should now.
    Adam: I added some cameras from the angles you suggested, and tried to tweak things accordingly. Renders to follow..
    EQ: I did AO passes this time, so hopefully it's getting the desired effect.

Thanks again everyone for the crits, always appreciated.
    alleywip48.jpg
    alleywip49.jpg
    alleywip47.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

Things are coming together, but overall I feel you're holding yourself back. Maybe it's lack or reference or understanding the quality level at which game art should be at this day in age. I only say this because (and I don't mean to be rude, but) 10 years ago I was working on maps that appeared similar to this. That said, I suggest finding a nice lighting scheme that shows off everything in a manner you're comfortable with and move on.

That said, let's me present you with a better target to shoot for.

Look at all of Stefan Morrell's work. Sure, a lot is high detail, but he does a ton of game art too.
    http://stefan-morrell.cgsociety.org/gallery/399743/

Again, this isn't game art, but hey, your work isn't in a game either wink.gif
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=347502

Here are a few more examples. I'm confident anything I've shown here could be recreated almost exactly in U3 engine, and this is what you have to compete against.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=226057
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=193791
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=188583

Don't be discouraged; be inspired to push your limits.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed with everything you had to say Cholden, and no, it doesn't discourage me, nothing does.
    Thanks for the links, I actually have Stefan's portfolio linked as a favorite, awesome stuff. I guess it's probably not a good idea to try to present everything with 3 point lighting/standard 3DS lighting. I guess part of me always felt like going beyond that was cheating...don't ask me why. Thanks.
    I shall return...
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Okay, so I gave a lot of thought to what was said, and I took the approach Adam mentioned, about thinking about the final shot. Cholden, also studied those images you linked me, thanks for those, they helped a lot. Thanks again to everyone for the comments and crits. Enough jibber jabber, on to the image, I re-sized it for the forums.
    alleywip64_forweb.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Huge improvements by adjusting the composition. Much more realistic.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Much better!

The window lights seem a tad bright though. Try some variation in their intensity, so they don't stand out as much.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    holy shit, now thats an improvement !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge improvements! Nice work!

Crits:
    We're looking at an alleyway from the street, normally city streets are lit. So adding some lights that filter in from "off camera" will help create the illusion that you are standing in the street.
    - The glow is a bit strong for my tastes, I personally feel the bloom effect is great in small doses. In the real world you'll only get that rich of a glow when it is really humid.
    - Ledges and trim need highlights to help define shapes and floors to the buildings. Also the street is wet so you would expect to see some of those same wet shinny highlights in other places. Spec maps might need some adjusting?
    - It might be a nifty effect to hint at a sidewalk? It will give a horiz action line running across the scene and help frame the shot (instead of fading into darkness)
    - Speaking of darkness, normally when you do night scenes you want to light the area around the viewer/player to act as if their eyes are adjusting to the darkness, kind of a crappy form of night vision. Things get darker the farther way they are. So I think the street by the camera needs more light.
    - Cities also suffer from light pollution which means the ambient light levels are going to be higher even on a dark night. So I think the street by the camera needs more light.
    - Shrink your renders down to thumbnail size and check out what the major blocks of color and light are doing, you can also squint at the full size version. When I do that I see some really bright Sporadic spots and the rest is dark and kind of muddy.

AlleyPaintOver.gifAlleyPaintOverThumb.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude vig! you da man!
    you always give awesome crits and stuff.

i take my hat to you sir!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Great progress Oglemeanimations! Looking good.

Vig - That paintover rocks. It makes everything really pop. I like that thumbnail technique for seeing the lighting.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Aaaaaw yeaaah! See man?! I find setting up the final shots will do wonders for your creative mindset when it comes to lighting. I'm glad its worked so well for you, this is looking stellar!

I love what Vig's done with the piece...

Now my only real comment would be that the entire piece is really the focus point right now. There's no real area that seems to be the place I am suppose to look at, ya know? If I had to choose I'd say that the store front is where my eye is going, but its not the most interesting part of the piece (to me, thats the background). You've done a great job in showing that this is an alley way, and a fairly unkempt one at that.

But (!!!) you may want to take it a bit further and create a specific prop, or a set of specific props, and tell a small story in your scene. Perhaps some old Police Tape that's now just a few strands, and blowing in the wind while still attached to the pole on the right.

Once you've done that, (or decided to not do it*) you can do another light pass and voila - awesomeness!

*This is a really good piece, so consider my elaboration on story telling a minor suggestion.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Holy mother of god, I gots myself a crazy Vig crit! Yay!
    Thanks everyone for the comments...again. I'm doing some lighting tweaks right now(in accordance with said crazy crit), so I should have an update in the next hour or so.

Funny you mention police tape, Adam, there are actually 2 strands of police tape in the scene; one hanging on the dumpster and one lying on the ground. I also have some flower pot fragments below the nearest fire escape with the ladder down, and a blood stain somewhere. Think I might have to highlight that a bit more next pass. Updates soon, thanks!
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Okay, so an update in an hour turned into next day, damn power company was doing some "improvements" that caused my entire apartment complex to go dark until 10pm last night.

Anyhoo..update, tried my best to follow everyone's crits. If you have any more, I think I might have it in me to do one more tweak. Thanks!
    alleywip69_forweb.jpg
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good , nice work smile.gif a little weaker lights ( like the one in vig's paintover) and some other color for lights ( white light is boring&unrealistic , saturated yellow maybe) may help wink.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you know what ? i kinda would like to see this scene with rain and a thrunder in the background , with the lightning like when thunder happens, would be really cool smile.gif maybe makin two versions ?
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Those foreground window lights are still too intense, imo. And that sky needs some subtle detail love.

Looks great.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    This has come a long way.... I think you need to play with the color of your lights and scene a lot though. Incandescent lights are an orange tint... florescent lights are a greenish tint. Right now all your lights are white. It would look a lot more realistic if you mixed florescent with incandesent.

Edit: I also think the window lights are way too bright but didnt change em in my paintover.

Here is my paintover

alley_paintover.gif
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    This is starting to look really good! Keep it up man
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some fine work man! Bryan has a good point with the variety in lights. If you look at some flats in the nights it's more like a colourful display rather than a white one. Some are darker than others, some people watch TV or have coloured walls that colour the light.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Oh yeah, Bryan's paintover made your scene look like Christopher Doyle took care of it, awesome! Go for it. Usually you don't see that kind of care in games, but if your scene is so carefully and beautifully lit, it will most definitely stand out of the crowd. Besides, great work so far and lots of improvements since you first started, keep it up!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I really felt like chiming in to say that this has come a mighty long way and it's shaping up very very nicely.

I think brian hit the nail on the head regarding some light colour variation and perhaps it can give you an idea about some subtle colour correction to your scene to help reinforce the atmosphere ...

Keep it up mate !
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I try not to post in my wip threads unless I have work to show, but I wanted to thank everyone for continuing to help me push this piece to the best it can be. I've learned tons since first starting this piece about mood, lighting, and final polish, things I've been lacking a bit on until now.

Thanks for the paintover, Bryan, I'll definitely be keeping that in mind this next pass, and thanks to everyone else for the comments.

I'll be posting an update asap. I love Polycount. grin.gif
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Alright, update using Brian's paintover as inspiration. Weakened the lights in the windows, and intensified the hues from the lights, I actually had a blend of greenish and orangeish lights, but they wern't intense enough. Crits and comments welcome, once again. BTW, Johny, I may have to do a rainy/lightning variation like you mentioned, great idea, but I just got some contract work so I think I'll have to hold off on that. Thanks again polycount.
    alleywip70_forweb.jpg