Home General Discussion

The end is near....live action Dragonball Z

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
http://kotaku.com/gaming/make-it-stop/live+action-dragon-ball-z-295873.php

Too bad I stopped watching the show close to 7 years ago.

Though I could imagine myself going to see it while drunk with all my friends that used to watch it with me in Junior High.

Replies

• Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    holy shit, thats hilarious laugh.gif

Cant wait to find out who the cast. Nicolas Cage as Goku, someone do a paintover please tongue.gif
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    The movie will be 6 hours long and only feature one fight. Then there will be 18 sequels to finish the fight they started in the first movie.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    gokubz7.gif

[N.C.]Testing lines:
    HHaaAadDoO-ken... whoops wrong show?

I am speechless at this news.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    What?...what the?...sdouihbiw??!!

Who in their right minds greenlit a live-action rendition of DragonBall Z? It's supposed to be a freaking comedy, for crying out loud! It has one of the most ridiculous and convoluted premises ever conceived. Who pitched this idea to Twentieth Century Fox and why?! And a $100 million dollar budget? Sure, it's a popular and established franchise...but live-action?

I am stunned by this announcement. And I am supremely unconvinced of 20th Century Fox's ability to pull this off.

On the other hand, we will get a chance to speculate on the casting. That should be fun.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Wasn't this in the early stages years and years ago?

Either way I have to disagree with the everyone and say that DBZ could make a balls-awesome movie. Lets examine the facts:

-More action than you could shake two sticks at
    -Chock full of thinly veiled bare chested screaming homosexuality reminiscent of the 80s action glory days
    -Plasma coming out of people's hands
    -Plasma coming out of people's mouths
    -Plasma coming out of people's eyes
    -1 word: Giantfuckingmonkey
    -Everyone dies multiple times
    -Sonic hair
    -Aliens with girl voices
    -Did I mention the plasma?

Yup, DBZ would make a tits movie. But of course we all know they'll manage to make a retarded knockoff that will probably end up having Goku and Krillin fighting off a zombie invasion in a gloomy industrial underground base, or some shit like that.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    If the movie turns out to be a comedy, it could be awesome. But its more likely to be the movie industry raping another of my childhood memories. Not that I got into DBZ too heavily.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i thought they already tried this with The Matrix: Revolutions?
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Who in their right minds greenlit a live-action rendition of DragonBall Z? It's supposed to be a freaking comedy, for crying out loud! It has one of the most ridiculous and convoluted premises ever conceived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I'm not saying a DBZ live action is a good idea, but what? DBZ's premise is pretty simple. You want convolulated, look into the life and times of Nathan Christopher Charles Dayspring Askani'son Summers (and the rest of his family for good measure) tongue.gif In fact, considering how drawn out the anime is, I'd say it's less convolulated than would be expected of something of its running time (Which they made up for with more-than-normal increases in power)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I actually saw a live action DBZ film on the spanish channel once. must be about 10 years old at least.

holy shit was it weird.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Holywood will burn for this one.

I can only hope that the newly announced live action Robotech will be good.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    personally i've always wanted to see hollywood bring a humiliating death to this horrible overrated franchise
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    So now instead of an anime, we're going to have a live action movie, produced by Fox, where in order to become more powerful, asians turn into WASPs. The world as we know it is ending...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    If the people who make it are insane schizo risk taking billionaire martial arts enthusiast anime loving pill popping gun toting opium fiends, ...... then this could kick ass.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha this could be funny. Yeah in my opinion DBZ is convoluted, theres no consequence to anything...they level up, they die, they come back ...rinse and repeat. :P
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    errr i like DBZ, used to watch alot when i was 13 and stuff, like 10 years ago.
    ok. a dbz movie, i can live with dat, could be cool. to see all those moves in 3d. hgheh.

i mean. i prefer this to j-lo movies.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    bounce, you sure that wasnt a live action Dragonball.. not Z, cause i own the live action Dragonball on dvd. and if this movie is as good as the one i own, then i'll be down for 2 tickets
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I love DragonBall Z. I always have. I've been buying the new season DVD sets they've been putting out, and am very happy with them.

But let's just look at this objectively. How does the DragonBall Z series start? It starts with a guy who has really weird hair, with a son who is wearing a chinese outfit and has a tail. In short order, you are introduced to a villain who has hair six feet long, and an absolutely ridiculous outfit. Then its on to a bald midget with little shao-lin dots on his forehead and no nose. Then you meet a perverted old man who for no apparent reason lives on a miniature island with a talking turtle. And then of course, you see a tall green man with pink muscles, extremely large shoulder pads, a cape, a turban, and antennae. And for no explained reason, everyone seems to be able to fly at will.

This all happens in the first two episodes of DragonBall Z. I re-watched it recently. DragonBall Z is in-media-res. (or however its spelled) It starts in the middle of an ongoing story. There are 150 episodes of character and plot development before you get to DragonBall Z. And even with all the explanation that you get out of that, the premise is still wierd and bizarre. Perhaps convoluted isn't the right word. But you can't just kick a DragonBall Z movie off and expect the general audience to understand what's going on. They will be entirely justified in their confusion.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    that's assuming in they include all that. most likely it will center on Goku and his family as their city is assualted by two unknown, supposedly alien martial artists looking for someone they call Kakorat.

Chozu, Tien, Piccolo, and the other useless guy will probably be lucky if they even make a cameo only to be killed when Vegeta and the other guy appear.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ahahah ! i hope vegeta keeps beeing the hitting sack he is ! But real life is impossible.

The ps2 games are actually really good !
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    There's also another Street Fighter movie being made. And a live action King of Fighters movie.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    It'll be good as long as their power levels are OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest, I always hoped for a live action or a stylized 3D (ala Final Fantasy: Advent Children) film. As long as the film itself doesn't take itself too seriously and they translate the design of the characters well, I honestly think it could be a bad ass film. I'm not expecting much though.

-caseyjones
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It'll be good as long as their power levels are OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!

[/ QUOTE ]

That calls for This!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The third matrix was pretty much live action DBZ. Hovering above the ground soliloquizing, flying at each other in a detonation of spherized power, fighting too fast for anyone else to see, etc etc.

I'd see another movie of that.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always think of DBZ whenever I see that fight with Neo vs Smith. If its done in anyway like that... I'd be first in line to see this movie!

-caseyjones
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    DBZ should be done in CG tbfh.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs: in the matrix they moved waaaaaaaaaaaay to slow and fluidly to be DBZ. They need to move about 59x faster.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the Matrix fights were girly.

DBZ action could be absolutely awesome in live action, but they might cop out and slow everything down too much.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    KAAAAA-MEHAMEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    DBZ should be done in CG tbfh.

[/ QUOTE ]Lets change this statement to reflect the truth. It should read "DBZ shouldn't be done"
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    c'mon vig. all the models have already been made for them!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    c'mon vig. all the models have already been made for them!

[/ QUOTE ]
    BAAHAHAHAHA! QFT!

-caseyjones
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I used to be really into DBZ. After the Z series, it got utterly stupid, though. Haven't watched it in about 3yrs now, but I do have the Budokai games - those are quite good.