Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

enviroment wip

heyhey ,
i'm working on a semi-high-tech base enviroment at the moment for cg chat's enviroment contest ( havent post a topic there yet , got some wierd problem with my browser and cgchat forum , no need to rush anyway)
it's a deserted base like fallout serie's vaults. i need some C&C cuz i'm stuck with some parts of it atm. anyway , here are the pics ;

view1tk8.th.jpg wirezl6.th.jpg

view2xq2.th.jpg wire2zg7.th.jpg

view3lz4.th.jpg wire3kf2.th.jpg

view4eh1.th.jpg wire4jh0.th.jpg

and some beauty-test renders ;

base4nr2.th.jpg
base5uj5.th.jpgbase6sp7.th.jpg

some notes ;
-that little yellow things meant to be little yellow warning light but as you see came out horrible. i dont know anything about glow-glowing object :S i dont want to use extra texture for glowing map but i dunno if its possible to make something decent without it. need some glow for lights , comsoles , monitors...
-blue surface under train ( yea thats a train :S) isnt water. just a little prob with light.
-bottom right part of "loading bay" is way too empty atm , i got a huge door there , somehow its missing in all shots , my bad.
-i get some wierd white pixel at the green coverings over crates. prob something about opacity , it looks normal in viewport but not in renders somehow . any idea what may be wrong?
-some parts are still mid poly , havent done low poly replacement for them yet. like ceiling supports etc. its obvious but still wanted to tell smile.gif
-i only use normal map for floor&walls. and in all screens normal maps is in-active due to some prob i have in viewport with it. forgot to activate it for renders.
-all room (loading bay) have too many poly for an enviroment atm i think ( tho i dont have any idea what ideal for such an enviroment) , but most of it is unseen parts of crate , which i'll delete after i done all modelings.
-in game view is planned to be like the one in first shots. fallout-like but closer.its hard tho , too close to go low poly , too far to go fps-like mid poly...
-got too many textures so posted non of them. if any required for crits , just tell me which , i'll upload them smile.gif

and one last thing , i'm still a begginer in 3d and this is my first enviroment so please be harsh as u want (as vig said in another topic "rip my art apart and tell me how to make it better" ) & clear on C&C so i can understand laugh.gif

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    neat reminds me of the docking bay in Aliens4..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good I'd call most of it game ready art provided textures where handled appropriately! I think the crits you already brought up are spot on and should be fixed. What is the purpose of this level and what is the perspective the player will see (RTS, FPS 3rdP-RPG)? I think the angle/zoom of the renders suggests RTS or RPG. The level could use more big details and clutter but if it is going to be home to a bunch of units you need to micro manage then I can see keeping it sparse.

Two things I think you should work on:
    1) Refine the prop pass, add more props, less crates, less polys on the crates and add more machinery, hoses work stations ect. The poly detail on the crates could be done with normal maps or just well faked textures. Adding crates for detail is kind of level artist code for "I don't care or don't have time to do something interesting with this space". It's also code to Art Directors that says "I could have dreamed up some sweet grungy machinery but I copped out".

2) Texture pass, mostly centered on specularity. It's hard to tell what is concrete and what is metal they both are reading about the same.

3) ok 3 things, The blood stain on the floor is bright red and very localized. Blood turns into a dark brown color and does weird things to crete and metal (don't ask how I know heh) It's location is right outside of what looks like an aid station, yet no blood leads too or from it? Depending on the wounded traffic in and out of this place that floor could be pretty nasty. Even on light traffic the floor looks too clean and unworn to be believable. The blood pattern looks like spray pattern only. No drips, smears or trails. With blood trails you have a chance to tell a story about how someone was hurt:
    - A big spray of blood on the floor. The initial wound. Darkest of the bloody bits because it is the oldest and spray dries quicker than drops.
    - Drops and smears leading to a puddle behind a bulkhead. A feeble attempt to crawl away. Drops dry from the outside (least dense) to the inside, so depending on how long it has been sitting there it could have a darker ring around each drop, smaller drops might be completely dark.
    - A finishing move leaving spray on the bulkhead and a puddle on the floor.
    - Trail and drag marks fading off down the hall or under a door in an attempt to hide the body or use it for something more sinister.

Right now the story of the blood in the hall is, a large rat or small dog exploded, the end.

You have the right idea using opacity maps to draw the blood over tiling textures, a good way to do it when you can't do custom textures for everything, which is most games. But I think you could simplify the planes to 1-2 polys.

About the Glow Effect:
    If you're using Max and this isn't for any specific game so you're just trying to get a good glow effect going, then I suggest creating an omni light where you want the glow to come from, and to that light add a Volume Light Effect.
    Select the light, On the modify panel in the "Atmospheres & Effects" rollout add a "Volume Light".
    Select the Volume Light in the list and click Setup, set the fog color to yellow and bump the density up to 15-20-ish.
    If you turn on "Use Far Attenuation" it will show you where the fog will stop and start. Yellow sphere is 100% of the light settings (including effects) and the brown sphere is 0% and acts like a visual cage for your volume light effect.

Keep in mind that many engines have different ways of doing glow effects so there isn't one right way. And in portfolio pieces (that is if I ever update my portfolio) I like to use max as if it was the level editor, using particles, fog, sky lights. But all keeping it within the normal rules of low poly modeling and Game Engine Constraints. In other words use Max to fake the things that would be done outside of your department, just don't abuse it to the point people say 'yeah but it wouldn't look that pretty in game'.

You have some really good work put into it, with a TINY amount of polish I think you could have some amazing work. Keep at it, it's looking great!
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deckard- thx man laugh.gif after your post i just remembered i still got avp2 installed , launched , got some nice scrnsht's as concept smile.gif avp2 is prob the best single player fps ever!! laugh.gif
    thx vig! lots of usefull tips smile.gif
    -forgot to mention before ; it's planned for a rpg game. something like fallout or baldur's gate. got low detail especially on floor cuz i'm planning to fill floor with gore details later.
    -although i agree that lots of crates looks like a cheap trick to fill empty places ; i'll prob wont reduce the crate number as i want place to look full , stocked of somethings . machinery idea is great tho , somehow i havent thought that before smile.gif i'll be working on it now.
    -crate polycount isnt much important i think , both little ones and large ones got 142 tri each atm , but all crate got at least 1 side that's imposibble to see (some got even 4-5 sides) , which i'll delete. maybe i should use large ones more as they have same tri count.
    - that blood was just a little test , but thx for tips smile.gif i'm planing to full all place with gore details later , like worker corpses&ripped bodies etc.
    -i'll sure try glow effect wink.gif

anyway gotta go back to work ,
    thx again , i'll post new renders soon smile.gif
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some little updates ;

view5xu7.th.jpgwire5by4.th.jpg

base12ak0.th.jpgbase11cl6.th.jpg

some new parts , some material test with floor etc. i'm kinda bored with loading bay tho :S i'll start another room now prob. i started loading bay without finishin corridor , starting another room without finishing this... i hope i'll have enough time before contest deadline.

----

a little update ,

1_view3.th.jpg1_view4.th.jpg1_view1.th.jpg
    1_view2.th.jpg1_view5.th.jpg

these will be my last beauty renders for a long time :S i have wasted way too many time for them , i just cant stop myself , workin on render&lightining before finishing models.
    back to modelling now tho , got a new room to fulfill smile.gif

notes ;
    -using vray in beauty renders
    -still not happy with floor mat in loading bay
    -still cant make glow effect -_-
    -white glow at the new room is little light prob , not intended or etc.
    -15 days left , hopefully there'll be 1-2 more room.
    -got low c&c tho , am i doin something wrong? i mean if anyone wanna see texture or etc to say something , just tell me wink.gif
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update!
    second room , meant to be something like "general store". what i have in mind was "store" actually but i couldnt find true word for it :S my english sux a bit
    wire6tw6.th.jpgview6xv6.th.jpg
    room2bm2.th.jpg

far from completed , some models not textured , some needs better ones , i also dont like little boxes on shelves , all will be remodeled soon.

actually i'm looking for reference pics for 3rd room atm , but havent found anything yet :S i'm planing a bathroom like the ones in horror films&games. i remember seein that in many games but cant find any pics somehow. you know , a place that bath's , locker's , toilet's all together ; old style tiled walls&floor etc.
    i had some problems so this 2nd room is mostly build with same models from "loading bay". (plz let me know if somethings look overused) but hopefully everything in 3rd room will be new smile.gif
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no c&cs eh? anyway some new shots , 3rd&last room. low detail yet , workin on details atm. i'm not really happy with it tho , something feels wrong. too clean maybe?
    room32jb0.th.jpg
    room33un5.th.jpg
    2nd shot is a wierd pov , just to show some details , check normal maps etc.
    thx for your time,C&C's
    here is my cgchat wip topic btw
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    I like the setup, but I think you're right-- it looks too clean. Maybe add some kind of mold or something leaking from the pipes on the shower tiles-- open some lockers and put torn up old posters of models or old clothes left behind in them, propaganda posters on the wall ("Remember: Be safe out there!" kind of stuff, maybe). I think if you make it look like it was in regular use at some point before the player arrives it would follow the flow of the other rooms much better.

Also, watch the texture tiling in the showers-- the tile walls don't seem to match up quite right in a couple places (in the details view). You could fix it by changing the offset of the texture in Photoshop and cleaning up from there, making sure the texture tiles with itself, then setting offset back to normal.

Either way, I like what you have so far! Hope this helped!
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx wipeout , nice points , really helped much smile.gif
    tile problem fixed already , somehow i didnt noticed that before.
    i love propaganda poster idea. somehow i didnt thought that before , i'll be working on them soon.
    i'm working on leaks atm. maybe some half-dried water etc.
    actually i was hoping to avoid "open-lockers".i build them in kinda wierd way so prob i'll have to rebuild them all. totally my stupidness , if you're build locker , they should be openable right.. frown.gif
    anyway , back to work , thx again wink.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is some screenshots of from HL2 deathmatch map called dm_lockdown I think you should break up your bathroom more like they did and dirty it up a bit. I'm refering mostly to how the different materials meet. I think just making the entire wall and floor be perfect tiles is kind of unrealistic and a bit boring. I would add some drains and pipes as well. You might want to do a search for Silent Hill, Alien 3 and Doom maybe they show shots of their bathroom. Also I would make a hallway in the first wall where you have the showers so it looks more user friendly. I think it would be annoying to have to walk around the entire wall to to the second row of showers. Hope that helps, it's looking good.

Alex

hlb01.jpg

hlb02.jpg

hlb03.jpg

hlb04.jpg
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moved house today , way too tired to do anything but still some update...

sage- thx soo much , i search alot for such screens before starting this room but couldnt find any. those really helped , thx smile.gif

room34ol4.th.jpg

chanced nearly all textures , broke some tiles at walls , some pipes ( gonna add more) , gotta add some detail to floor tiles prob , gonna add washbowls ( is that the true word for it?) etc.

gonna post a more detailed shot soon smile.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good, I'm glad those screen where able to help. I like the floor tiles a lot better now.

Alex
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    It does look a lot better now. I think you could enhance it a little more by adding some trash to the floor-- maybe some of the wall tiles fell on the ground and were left there...

I would also suggest that the tiles on top of the wall between the lockers and the showers look the same as the rest of the tile walls-- or at least they should be covered in dust, if these showers have been abandoned for a long time-- just to maintain the overall appearance.

Nice job, it looks really good!
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx guys smile.gif
    wipeout- nice ideas again , i'm working on trash&dirt on floor , done some nice dust etc but my comp is killing me whenever i use detailed opacity maps :S i dunno if thats normal , i'll post some screens tomorrow for any ideas about render setting etc for it.
    the wall behind lockers isnt really textured yet , i'm just trying dirt effect in the middle then i'll use it allover the place wink.gif
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5 days left , 3rd room is nearly finished. i'll fix some little problems& go back to first&second room for details now. and last 1-2 for light&renders etc.
    room36xv5.th.jpg

got some wierd problems in this render. somehow bathroom walls are transparent :S prob lowered opacity by mistake somehow. dirt on lockers ( 2nd row) is a bit overkill. those thin black lines in baths are again another opacity map prob.
    this view is way too far actually , lots of details lost. but it takes hours to render just one scene with my crappy comp and i didnt wanna waste time with 3-5 close-up shots. hopefully they'll be all done in 5 days tho smile.gif

kinda bad render actually , i noticed that now. i'll post some viewport shots soon.

thx for viewing , any c&c welcome smile.gif

wire7lj8.th.jpgview7tp4.th.jpg

ps. normal maps arent active so textures looks a bit raw
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    contest deadline is tomorrow , i just posted final entry ; but still c&c would be nice smile.gif

allxi4.th.jpgstore.th.jpghangar.th.jpgclosebathty5.th.jpg
    center_wire.th.jpgstore_wire.th.jpgloading_bay_wire.th.jpgbathroom_wire.th.jpg

Submission topic
    Wip Topic (fewer pics then this topic tho )

thx for viewing smile.gif