Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kommander Sorscha **9/22/07 Update**

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
The Ben polycounter lvl 18
Hey y'all. Here is Sorscha from Warmachines (high fives to vig and seforin) and she will complete the battlegroup. I still have a long way to go, so some ripping apart would be appreciated before I get much deeper. Thanks much, players. Oh, and her spear and pistol is on the way.

Here are the original minis:
lrg-212-24001_khador_battlegroup.jpg

And here's the WIP:
Sorscha_wip1_front.jpg
Sorscha_wip1_back.jpg
Sorscha_wip1_face.jpg

Replies

• seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ok well first off since your modeling something I actually like you know im gonna rip you so here goes the list.

ok first off Wires, need to see them, and what texture size is the sheet, post some flats

Based off what I see, one the nose, the base to it pinches ALOT like she always has a triangle to a certain degree., her hair matches to close to her hat, and even though its black on black the the hair needs more of a sheen to it, more white highlights so it stands out, now her eyes look a bit wide, but I need to see more closer pictures of the face to conferm this or not

boobs are a bit big, but I like big boobys so no big deal.

the texturing work is amazingly done, but what texture sheet and if its hitting 1024 you need to add in metal effects to the backpack and the arm area.

ok I think im out of what to talk about, post up those things NAOW!!!!!!!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I like the way the skirt? & cape? have black on the inside in the reference design, makes the red pop more.

Looking good just do what seforin said and you should be on the right track.
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks guys.

Wires! For some ridiculous reason I thought no one would care about those old things. I'll poet 'em as soon as I get home tonight.

I'm definitely trying to iron out her nose area more. I can't stand looking at the dark polys near her nose, so thanks for re-confirming the uglyness.

Hellz yeah, the boobs are big. I wouldn't have it any other way. haha! If it ends up looking ridiculous when this thing is done, i'll crank 'em down a few cups.

I'm glad you like the texturing work, thanks for the kind words.

$!nz, when I didn't do that, it looked terrible. I'm glad you noticed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off These are beautiful. I love em, nice work.

Sorscha:
    She's good but needs some work. (Sorry Sef had to say it heh)
    What to work on:
    - Her body proportions are a touch off, I blame the mini, they are always off to some degree. I would lengthen her legs which would give her a touch more sex appeal that she has in the art and I would feel less like a pedophile hehe.
    - Face texture. It looks too much like the paint job on a miniature and less like the other art. The miniature can be good ref, but when doing the face I would look to another source, one that didn't have to be painted with a microscope heh. When shading the face try to stay away from black, instead use darker shades of her flesh tone. I would push more pink, blue and purple into the dark areas rather than black.
    Flesh painting tutorials:
    http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutorials/guest/skin_tone/skintone.html
    http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14030
    http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14033
    http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery

- Personally I like the Epic Version of Sorscha If I was doing the model, I might try to mix the two by taking the straps from the parka and using them to replace her normal delicate cloth cape or just turn the parka design into a shorter cape. But thats all personal taste.
    - I think you should tone down the black areas and mix them with more brown leather parts to help contrast some of the different pieces. Also think of the black areas more as dark grey or dark blue instead of pure black. If you start with a lighter base color you can paint shadows and highlights instead of just highlights.
    - Her hat has a "fuzzy all over look" to it. While Ushanka do have quite a bit of fuzz to them, she's missing out on the classic Russian hat look. The distinctive flaps are not recognizable on the hat. I think if you changed the hat to be a mix of leather and fuzz you could separate out the flap shapes. I would also urge you to add the Kahdor symbol to the front of her hat.
    - Where's the gold trim? Kahdor colors are Red, Black, Brown and Gold. Adding in gold trim would frame out some of the pieces nicely and give her more of a regal feeling.

Quick recap:
    - More brown leather to contrast the back.
    - More Gold trim.
    - Fleshify the face but keep her a frigid bitch by using light pink, light purple.
    - Make her hat a signature Ushanka by making the flaps distinctive.
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VIG! You're the fucking man.

First of all, thanks for the kind words, i'm really glad you like the 'jacks, being a Warmachine man yourself.

I completely hear you on the proportions. I've been trying to find a middle ground between the sleek and sexy proportions of the art and the bulky, exaggerated look of the miniature. Obviously it's turning out a little strange, as we have a large breasted, stumpy Sorscha with big feet and a big head. Hahaha! I'll definitely massage the proportions and lengthen her legs. Sorry you experienced momentary pedophilianism. smile.gif

I still need a LOT of work in the flesh painting department, so thanks for pointing it out and thanks for the links. Those tutorials look fantastic and that should help me out a whole bunch.

The epic version is pretty sweet...I fancy the original more, so I probably won't change THIS one, but I can see myself doing a variant once this is wrapped up.

Okay, will do on the black. Good stuff.

The ushunka (didn't know they were called that, thanks) has been...problematic. But i'll definitely try ro re-define it, cuz you're right. It's a bit uniform. And the Khador symbol I completely spaced. My bad.

Gold, eh? Will do. It's not on the mini, which is what i'm basing my colors off of, but it absolutely will not hurt. Actually, that should end up looking great.

Again, you rule. Thanks much.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hi Ben smile.gif

i wanted to chip in that for your cloak texture, adding smaller light waves in the fabric that cut across the large ones and pointed to pinch or snag points will make them look more involved and interesting. it's real quick and works well.

kpicky05.jpg
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful! Thanks, Cory.

*high fives so hard your mustache explodes into butterflies*
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I promised some wires, so here they are before I get back on it.

Sorscha_wip1_wires1.jpg

Sorscha_wip1_wires2.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wtf you made the mole a alpha? haha, freakin weird man,

yea looking at it this way you definetly need to make the eyes less wide, and bring the brow of your nose a bit wider so it dosent pinch so much

Wheres them texture flats son? How im suppose to ass rape , er critic , if I cant see your texture sheets :P

also what size map(s) did you use?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i'm assuming he did that so he could mirror the face texture.

personally, i would have just grabbed that poly and given it unique space, but this works.

it's a shame her mouth is welded, given all those loops for animation.

her face seems awfully shadowed - hard to tell from the angles, but i think she's got a bit of a weasle-face going on... far too triangular [when looked down from the top] need to bring the verts forward for a more human shape.
  • The Umbrella Man
    I think you are getting that weird darkness from the five sided poly you have near the nostrils.

Not to mention you seem to have a lot of unnecessary triangles near the nose and lip in general. Cleaning those up may fix the shadowy areas. Also the bridge of the nose is weird because it disappears near the non existent eyebrow ridge. Pull the top part of the bridge out and define the eyebrow ridge and that will probably get rid of the weasel look as state above.
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the mole is it's own thing so the face could be mirrored.

The mouth is welded only for the time being. I'm not sure why I did that, but I have every intention of adding teethie teeth and a tongue.

Weasel face made me laugh. smile.gif I did a lot of work on the face geometry last night because in addition to all the really good feedback from you guys, someone IRL told me it doesn't look feminine enough. So it got heavily massaged and cleaned last night and it looks better. I still have shadows near the nose, so i'm reconsidering the geometry in the area. Thanks alot, guys and/or gals.

Seforin - I haven't posted the flats yet cuz i'm not even close to done with the texture. But I will as soon as i'm done. Or...pre-critique done. You know what i'm saying. smile.gif
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress here and there. Not done yet.

sorscha_wip2_a.jpg
    sorscha_wip2_b.jpg
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    The #1 problem with 40K builds are that they look too much like the plastic model. Why not actually try to give her human proportions and expand her into a living character instead of a model of the plastic model?

You've done some, but it just still seems very 'im a plastic model'. I could be wrong, I'm tired. So ignore if no one agrees. Your 2d work has soooo much more character, try to translate that?
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Motz. What ended up happening is that back when I decided I wanted to model one of the warjacks (with no intentions of even texturing it, let alone constructing the entire battlegroup), I modeled it off of the miniature as opposed to the few pieces of art there were. Figured it would be more fun to have the mini in my hand instead of extrapolating from art. Two warjacks at miniature proportions later, I'm thinking that if I constructed Sorscha with her art proportions, it might like silly when I render them all together. She is sooo tall and slender, and the 'jacks are so stumpy and bulky, you know? So it was partially a technical decision.

BUT! I say "partially" because knowing me, if I ever have a choice between exaggerated proportions and realistic proportions, I will most likely go exaggerated, like in my 2d shit. Thanks so much for the compliment by the way. smile.gif So yeah, it was kind of technical, and kind of personal.

Sorry about the long-winded response. blush.gif
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its looking better, you never answer about your SIZE maps or HOW many (damnit you will answer me or I will get my steam jack to stomp you!)

Nose still is very pinched, hats looking a bit better than before, do you have any spec on this or all hand painted?
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seforin - I haven't posted the flats yet cuz i'm not even close to done with the texture. But I will as soon as i'm done. Or...pre-critique done. You know what i'm saying. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You will have all relevant texture information when i'm done. Now slow your roll.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pfft your a cock tease with the goods man, well continue to work on the face and the nose, those are your major areas still needin work
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Face geometry looks better; still could use some loving massaged onto it. bridge of the nose is too thin, eyes are too big. I don't know how much of the texture you've done, but it needs a lot of color added into it.

Wait... I should probably ask if this is based off an anime? if so, then ignore what I said, they only apply if it is meant for a more realistic venue
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Sectaurs it's based of a table top role playing game where you use plastic and metal figures to represent your army. Sorta like a physical RTS game. Those figures on his first post are all there is typically.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by killingpeople
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    you're all crazy and speaking moon language.
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CORY! What did you say?! It's your move, commander.

Sectaurs - Typically the miniatures in those games have exaggerated proportions cuz they're so small, you know? I based the model of those proportions, which is why certain features are larger than usual. But i'm still massaging. Hopefully it'll turn out attractive.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to work on Sorscha's personality and try to push that thru the model and textures. Get in touch with who this frigid ice queen really is. She's a battle hardened warcaster who thinks a relaxing day is gutting only 2-3 battle groups. She would just as soon fuck you in the ass sideways with her scythe then have to suffer standing in the same room with you one more minute. She has nothing but contempt for everyone around her and the viewer needs to know this. She needs to be engaging the viewer and stare them down. Yes, even the default pose needs to be bitchy. Animators do some wonderful things but you can help them out greatly by building in character.

Things to think about changing:
    position of her head:
    - Tilt her head forward to help her default posture to be more in line with the character. Chin to chest = don't screw with me. Chin to sky = innocence and care bears. Adjust her eyes to almost look out here eyebrows. It will help hit a few key emotions you want to nail with this character.

Face flesh tones:
    - Without a doubt facial painting is one of THE hardest things to nail.
    - She has very dirty tanned olive skin, with deep shadows. She's basically from some place where its too cold to go outside much less go tanning. Pastey purply skin, with hints of warmer colors to show she isn't undead heh.
    - Revisit the her facial flesh color pallet, add some pink highlights, some purplish undertones.
    - Think about using a dark purple for the lips instead of black, you'll still get that dark gothy feel, but it will give you more colors to play with, more highlight and shadows colors and her lip color won't be the same as your shadow color, which is confusing. A tiny strip of highlight really helps bring out the pout in the lower lip, it helps sell the spec. 6-12pixels give so much detail, mood, and emotion.

Mini Vs accurate facial Anatomy:
    - If they could have put more accurate facial anatomy in the mini they would have, but its hard to carve proper cheekbones with a toothpick. You are not constrained by those tools (you have a whole new set to worry about heh)
    - You can still keep the mini feel with a nice DOF blur after rendering. It's crazy how even everyday normal things can come off looking mini.
    - You need to increase her attractiveness by going for more real world anatomy of the face. The dark shadows cutting across her cheeks, going from her nostrils to her ears need to be lightened.
    That line needs to be broken up by the muscles and flesh that fill those areas out, right now it is a dark visual line separating her face into two halves, breaking the flow.
    - Even if people don't realize it, they expect to see those landmark muscles. Highlights and subtle skin tonal changes need to be placed where the bones come closest to the surface, and reverse for areas that are more fleshy.
    - Some of the land mark muscles around the lips need to be massaged into existence. They will help bring out that ice queen pout.
    - Take some cues from Russian super models like Katja Shchekina.

Eyes:
    - Have the upper eyelid cut the pupil in half. leaving you a little white space between the bottom and of the pupil and the lower eyelid. The eyes say so much about what a person is thinking and feeling they give off visual cues as to what they are about to do to you. Contempt, anger, scorn, malice are all emotions you want to bring out in this characters the eyes can help quite a bit, use them to their fullest potential, don't dismiss them as spheres with a painted iris.

Nose:
    - Make the tip of her nose less bulbus, it needs harder edges. The nose overall needs to be less noticeable. It is very common for comic book artists (and some plastic surgeons) to almost omit a nose from a pretty face. The theory goes "the sleeker the beak the hotter the chick". Because her nose is rounded and lacks the hard edges, she looses some of that sex appeal.
    - Because the bridge turns into a crease instead of a bridge, she looses more sex appeal.
    - A sexy nose would have sharper edges, an upturn and make less of a shadow. I think you should check out some comic ref, it might help you construct and paint better female noses. J Scott Campbell does a pretty decent job of stereotypical female faces, but he is very minimalist when it comes to noses. Check out the lines he does use and how they impact what you think is there.
    Strengthen the bridge of her nose, right now it is almost disappearing. Know that the skull forms half the bridge of the nose and cartilage forms the rest giving most people a bump and at the very least giving most people a flat plane that the flesh of the cheeks attaches too. Think of the cheeks not as separate pieces of flesh seperated by a nose, but think of them as a blindfold that gets stretched over a bump in the face. What you have is more of a crease, or wrinkle where the two halves of the face meet.

Misc bits:
    - The manly jaw line needs to go, her chin needs to be less defined and more pointy same goes for her cheekbones.
    - The gold bits need to be less orange and more gold metal with metal specular highlights.

For everyone with ADHD or people who can't read monster posts without their eye bleeding, I put everything above condensed into a paintover...
    SorschaPaintover.jpg
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love ya, Vig. I really appreciate every bit of that and i'll try to work in everything you're saying.

*high fives Vig so hard his other hand shatters from jealousy*
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i typed something to the effect of, "haha. sectaurs, don't you know warhammer when you see it?" but then he pointed out that it was "warmachines" via IM and this mistake reflected my ignorance which i wanted to destroy. i blushed and was like "fuck that!" *turkish oil wrestling grapple maneuver-punches the delete key* and wept silently in my internet anonymity...

toad_stress.jpg
    incoming crawlers!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of my favorite games KP! FEARZ TEH CRAWLARZ! "its your turn commander"
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAHA! That's totally rad that you are familiar, Vig. KillingPeople and I ditched a motherfucking FINAL to go and have a Moonbase Commander-thon. I didn't know he still had a screen from what is no doubt one our more intense skirmishes. And for what it's worth, that day he showed me how to eat french fries properly...by smashing them against your teeth.
  • The Real Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so the real motz has just stepped in, and since I took 1 semester on 3ds max I am pretty much a pro on this stuff!

I will have to agree with Vig all around on what he said in his last post. When I look at the model i don't see that much flare or personality. It is all in the face though like most people have been saying. It is very blank and needs some more massaging and tweeking. The body looks nice, and I am really looking forward to seeing the weapons on here, which I think will help out. I really enjoyed your warjacks though and of course all of your amazing 2d work that you have done.

I am sure if you just follow Vig it will turn out wonderful.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [brag]
    I worked at Humongous Entertainment, I know (or rather knew) Rhett Mathis, it was his brain child and side project, one hell of a nice guy. I made a map that was 1 day shy of going in the game =/
    [/brag]

what where we talking about? oh yeah Sorscha, jeeze I'm long posted...
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, if you ever meet him again, please tell him his product is absolutely adored.

Thanks, The Real Live Motz. I appreciate the feedback. I'm crunching right now, so I might not get back on Sorscha for a few days. But with all the feedback I can't wait.
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right. I think i'm done with this. Not that a ton more couldn't be done to it, but i'm about ready to move on. smile.gif Everyone's feedback was completely rad, so thanks.

sorscha_04.jpg

sorscha_03.jpg

sorscha_02.jpg

sorscha_01.jpg

sorscha_05.jpg

Flat: 1024x1024 Diffuse and Alpha (alpha is minimal, not posting it. smirk.gif And all the empty space in the lower left is there for particle art. Save yourself some draw calls, kids!)
    sorscha_06.jpg

Annnndddd this one was just for some some quick fun:
    sorscha_07.jpg

Thanks again, y'all!
  • hetsch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    For everyone with ADHD or people who can't read monster posts without their eye bleeding, I put everything above condensed into a paintover...

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I laughed so hard when I read it. Then, I read the whole thing.. crazy.gif

Anyway, I think this turned out great, however, I think you could push the diffuse further. You should be able to add more colours to her face without breaking the goth-look, yes?

And yeh, give her a normalmap! We're in 2007 for crying out loud laugh.gif
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as much as I would say this CRIES a normal map, the 1024 hand painting you did to this model came out quite well, her lips look a bit narrow but other than that the overall model came out great, I hope to see you do a render of this soon
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the face could be alot improved, model wise and texture wise, right now doesnt seem much human frown.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    she needs a dirt pass, i'd say. get some grime on her boots and the bottom of her coat. but then, i likes 'em dirty.

overall, she turned out well, though overall i think you're relying too heavily on an ao bake to do the work for you - this is especially noticeable on the face. hardly any brush strokes there at all.

if you're not planning a spec map, I'd go back in and pick out some highlights in all the metal parts. as they stand, they're all sharing the same matte look, which makes it hard to distinguish between differing materials.

you've got a great base, you just need that last pass on it to make it shine.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the last render, to me, shouts "GIVE ME A SPECULAR MAP NAO!!!"

with the lighting you've gone for, it just doesn't sit well without the spec coming off the mesh.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    If she's gutting people all day long maybe she ought to have some blood splatter to go with what's on her axe, kind of like the olden day butcher or the dude from chainsaw massacre. That, some dirt, and the normal map and she'll look like a really mean, bitchy, father fucker.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i now noticed, but that uvw layout is quite chaotic man, better use each uvw space as best as you can !