Home General Discussion

Two Worlds! AW YEAH!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wells polycounter lvl 18
Worst game ever.

Literally a must-see-to-believe game. I'm not sure they had anyone who knew how to rig or animate, despite crediting four different mo-cap studios. Art is, for the most part, atrocious. Was accurately described by a co-worker as most closely resembling someone's "RPG LAND" in Second Life.

Fast forward to 5am, 10 uninterrupted hours of playing this over lan with co-workers.

Best game ever.

Discuss!

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Seriously? Hah, that's cool. I'll have to check it out.
    There hare times where shitty looking games have the gameplay to keep me involved (World War 2 Online for example).
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, AGREED. The Worst Game Ever is, as it turns out, VERY entertaining to watch. Two Worlds should come with a Joe Bob Briggs commentary track. I'm *this close to buying it for myself.

My favorite animations are the boars. Totally by accident, they're about as cute as it's possible to be and still have tusks. They're like corgies that taste of pork.

As I write this, some people behind me are giggling about how amazingly wonderfully lame Two Worlds is.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I just looked through the screenshots on their site looking for the cute pig-dogs. In all the screenshots I looked through, I didn't see a single shadow... in the day. Apparently shadows only come out at night.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed, I was about to uninstall the demo, when I realized there was some significant comedic worth. A bunch of us were cracking up laughing at it at work yesterday, and I still haven't had the heart to uninstall it. I love to kill horses in this game, because they periodically sit down for no clear reason. It's the best horse killing simulator I've ever played by far.

I love the 3d.sk look to all the characters. The 'quality' of dialog, voice acting and accompanying animation is just, well, words fail me. You'd have to see it to fully appreciate it. I love how the game blatantly steals a whole bunch of stuff from Oblivion. I hope Bethesda feel like imitation is the greatest compliment.

Note to self: hold off on any major outsourcing to eastern europe. Looking at this and Stalker, methinks they need a little quality catchup time.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's the best horse killing simulator I've ever played by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I totally agree. It is by far one of the worst games I have EVER played. Just watch the intro and then ATTEMPT to play. O.M.G.

I did not think it would be half that bad (I actually expected it to be a 7-ish.. not a 3)
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Voice acting is stellar, animations rock, and this has got to be the WORST impulse buy I've ever made.

While standing still or in screen shots the game looks pretty impressive, it's amazing to believe it could look so bad in motion.

I recommend not playing on intermediate unless you want to get brutally murdered by every creature in the game (which automatically have a born hatred for you), as well as teleported all over the map with the game's amazing respawn system.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    It is essential that you play with a friend, preferably in the same room as them.

Kovac - boars will brutally one-hit you in easy as well.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I was with Sectaurs at this eventful game night. We took turns per death (since it happened frequently). The voice acting had some of the best one liners I've ever heard. Like when the player jumps in the water he booms "THAT'S WET." I shit you not. Another fun thing was the character creation where you could make all the characters have baby t-rex arms.

TWO WORLDS HAS THEE BEST JUMP ANIMATION EVER.
    Don't believe me? Watch this!!

Two Worlds Jump Animation

Truly inspiring.

I found this quite interesting. Gamespot gave the game a 7.0! This was the short end of the review.
    THE GOOD:
    * Huge scope and setting
    * Smooth, simple RPG system that still allows for a lot of character customization
    * Great variety of quests
    * Nice-looking visuals.

I loved the "strategies" we'd come up with while playing the game. The AI was so pathetic it won't hit you if you stand on a rock, rooftop, or atop a fence.
    B
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That Gamespot review is just bizarre, and that's an awesome vid.

In all seriousness though, 10 hours of playing this thing on the LAN?! What exactly *is* the multiplayer component, and is there actually genuinely some fun to be had, other than breaking it?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Multiplayer is broken into pvp and rpg.

haven't tried the pvp, but it seems to just be standard fair.

rpg is what we were playing:
    you create a character [or grab an existing one you have] and spawn into a large tract of land inhabited by wildly varying monsters - seriously, you'll be fighting dinosaurs side by side wolves and boars and piles of rock that turn into dragons. There are a few towns scattered about with npcs who give you quests and buy your shit and have houses you can break into. Currently there is one 'beginner' area, a couple 'medium' and a bunch of 'hard' areas - maybe 8 or 12. Our entire experience took place on the easy and one of the medium levels. You both are placed into this zone and you are free to do what you want... team up or split up or kill each other.

it's just sort of an old-school fun... ridiculous difficultly -one hit kills from boars- demands you exploit the many glitches in the game; standing on fences, jumping into water so the monsters forget you exist, shooting arrows while you glitch-slide down hills. There is no penalty for death, at all, so you just run around going balls out trying to kill everything, horribly animating all the while. As a shared experience with friends, it is priceless. Playing by yourself would probably be torture [unless you're powerleveling a character so you can LAN with buddies].

The entire thing is so bizarrely random that you literally never know what you're going to be fighting/finding, and that just makes it fun to run around. castles with nothing but a bear in it, elaborate aztec-like ritual altars with *nothing* in the area, buildings that look to be made entirely of wicker inhabited by large floating squids, several monsters that we've only ever seen once and took 30 minutes to kill, together...

Fuck, this post got long. I'm a fanboy and am going to pick this up when I get home on monday - but only so i can bring my xbox into the office and play with friends.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    this game sounds amazing!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    castles with nothing but a bear in it, elaborate aztec-like ritual altars with *nothing* in the area, buildings that look to be made entirely of wicker inhabited by large floating squids

[/ QUOTE ]

this literally made me laugh out loud, i kinda want to see this in action now (if not actually play it myself :P )
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    ahahha
    That's exactly what i've been hearing about this game.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    oh wow. maybe i should give this another go when its in the bargain bin next year
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Wow i thought you were kidding when you said at work you planned on buying this.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    i got a laugh out of this video warding off potential customers, only thing is it seems like there all enjoying it as well.

video
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah... so PC Gamer says it's "a big (and long overdue) leap in RPG's". So I suppose they mean a nice, big leap backwards.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I turned it off after 12minutes, horrible annoying thing that it was, back to the shop with it!

r.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Game reviews are never honest. Look through you tube, pure comedy gold.

Although I can see the attraction from older gamers. Kinda like stepping back to the shitty, insanely hard games we played for hours on end as kids.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i think PC Gamer ment to say, "a big (and long overdue) heap in RPG's"
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to buy this game and play it for hours.
    It looks completely awesome, especially with glitches.
    And maybe multiplayer will be redeeming.
    It's sad they didn't fine tune this game to the point where it's really good, but I may aswell support them with my money to help them make better games, AMIRITE?
    Plus, i'm sure I could get hours of fun out of this
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I take it thats PCGamer US