Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Big handgun [Finished]

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
My first Silo work and my first high poly weapon, that means i need a lot of crits. smile.gif
As you can see my weapon is almost ready for normal mapping, but changes can still be made.
gun-all.jpggun-wire.jpg

The plan is to make normal mapped weapon with a polycount like the UT3 weapons, but i dont even know a polyicount for UE3 weapons and should i delete faces in the low poly that cant be seen by the camera to get less polys?

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I like the modeling, but I absolutely hate the design. It looks difficult to hold, impossible to aim, it's covered in impractical and irrelevant pieces, it bears an uncomfortable resemblance to Halo's Brute Spiker, and for something so complex the silhouette is kinda boring.

I guess this isn't the most constructing crit for this piece in specific, but on your next weapon, it'd be wise to focus a lot more when designing your weapon. Take inspiration from modern/historical firearms, consider how all of the mechanisms will work, and try to make something appealing design-wise.

Still, I guess this will make pretty excellent normal mapping practice, so good luck. smile.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Looks cool. Although if it was me i would flip the blade backwards that way you can slash oponents.. orrr put the blade on the bottom of the grip of the gun for some close hand combat. bang bang bang slash
  • Mark Dygert
    I really like it! I'm glad you didn't go nuts with the silhouette, that will make baking it into a normal map and creating a low poly version that much easier. Some of the construction looks a bit messy but its a high poly working model and that kind of thing shouldn't matter as long as it renders a normal fine.

When designing weapons remember the player won't see it from the side that much so be sure to change to the players perspective quite often when filling out the detail. Since you're working in silo I'm not sure if you can do this but I set up a camera to the players perspective, and take a screen shot of the game and set that as the camera's view port background it won't be prefect but it will help.

Nice work I look forward to seeing which way you take the texture and how you go about building the low poly version =)
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah this isnt really suited well for FPV, design wise. You want to make sure you're putting the most interesting stuff in a position that the player will actually see. Or atleast have *some* interesting detail there. Heres a good example:
    http://hawkprey.com/UTposting2.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Don't delete faces since you can optimize the mesh a bit more for the 3rd person (other player views).

I've been working anywhere from 2500-5000 tris for fpv weapons.

You could probably get a good model out of 2500.

Shoot for that and see how it turns out.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    dont forget you need to have 2 versions. 1 vesrion that is in the 2000-6000 ish range for first person view, and another (if your ever seeing other players with the gun) at the 500-1000 range. Of course all these numbers are arbitrary and project dependant, but for practice sake I`d say these would be good numbers to shoot for-

KICK ASS for normal map info though- this will look really robust when lit
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think its cool, reminds me of the q2 blaster
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Thx all! smile.gif

Here is a FPV test:
    gunfpv.jpg
    I made the barrel bigger to make it seeable in FPV.

Here ist the low poly, im at 2630 polys (no faces deleted):
    gunlow.jpg
    Should i make the barrel more round?
  • joe gracey
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I love the design of your gun... you might want to make the barrel rounder, but I don't think its that big of a deal... the player wouldn't notice it. How many separate pieces is your gun, because seeing this beautiful weapon makes me want to start my own. Great job so far... can't wait to see it textured. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    nice detailing you certainly shown some good skill there. The design doesn't excite much though - it feels a little 1930's Flash Gordon. Was that intended?
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Finally, progress smile.gif
    guntex1.jpg
    I simply made the colours,
    scratching and ageing later! wink.gif
    Spec is very rushed for colour testing.

P.S. thx for comments
    @ spacemonkey
    I thought more about fancy UT weapons, not about that Flash Gordon crap! laugh.gif
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fun, I really like the fact that you also added detail to the inside of the barrel.
  • Ancient-Pig
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, man - really love the colors.

Very atypical and refreshing -- usually gun models look like they just got put through the meat grinder -- all scratched up to hell
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    technically this is super kick ass. I mean you really know how to get the most bang for you buck with the normal map. Color looks good too-

As for the design I see nothing wrong with it either and think it would fit right at home in the jak and daxter, or rachet and clank. (brought up to next gen of course)

As for it being in the lines of a UT weapon I think I might disagree with you there. it has lots of really nice detailing, but some of the major details are a bit dated. (the 1940`s screen at the back for example) Not that thats a bad thing, but if you want to make stuff look modern and tech, you gotta keep up with current trends and what is seen as typically "cool" because its always changing.

practice some "culture vulture" skills and analyze the crap out of some modern stuff and try and dissect your findings as much stuff as possible for what makes it "cool".

In other words, STEAL IDEAS!!!! BWA HA HA HA
  • Ape.of.Gods
    Offline / Send Message
    Ape.of.Gods polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah it's really well done and the style is totally B-movie Scifi or from the "Pulps" which I think is pretty cool, but probably not in the same way as modern scifi.
  • Brahyt
    Yeah I was gonna say this is cartoon sci-fi, it looks to me like a blaster that marvin the marshin may have used.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Texture work almost finished
    gun-tex2.jpg

thx for the comments

You will never know what the future brings. :P
    Seriously, you all right! smile.gif
    It has a lot of very stylized huge rounded forms that makes it definitely look fancy. I reduced the cartoony look a bit by changing the colors, i hope it looks now more like a crazy and somehow real future weapon. smile.gif

@ Ancient-Pig
    Sry, scratched it up to hell because it was in hell. wink.gif
  • The Ben
    Offline / Send Message
    The Ben polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks fantastic and awesome. I wish I could buy one and carry it on me at all times.
  • dom
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    I like the design, and also the chinese text written on the hand guard.haha. it translates to strong electrical fire gas duel? did you babelfish that?
  • bounchfx
    holy crap, going from the first texturing to this one is really a world of difference and it looks more mature now. Great job!
  • Pavel
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel polycounter lvl 10
  • xysdf
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx all

@ The Ben
    Maybe you can carry it one day in UT3. smile.gif

@ dom
    I didnt thought that someone here can read that! laugh.gif
    I found a chinese translation programm but it seems its not that good, it should translate strong electrical fire rage fight, but gas duel is also cool wink.gif

@ xysdf
    Danke!
    I tried to make the blood more realistic.

Here is the finetuning and an Animation Test
    Shot FPV
    Shot Side

gunupdate.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i like the overall feel,but the materials scream fake , the metal doesnt seem to been having any exposure to falls, dents etc, all you did was chip the paint minuciously without damaging the metal structure, , the blade feels very fake too , the blood on it seems someone had a bloody nose and dropped blood on it frown.gif ill make a quick paintover to explain what i mean , im sorry if i sound like a smartass , i just think you could really push this to a next level.

paintovaio6.jpg
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Thank you! It helped a lot

gunupdate2.jpg

gunupdate3.jpg

guntexslow.jpg
    I think i can call it finished. smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    haha, awesomeness dude, nice work!

Looks more like something out of halo though tongue.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would have upped the size of the uv pieces near the back of the gun as its closer to the viewer.
    the panel which surrounds the tv screen thingy seems tiny in the layout
    looks great still though
  • NeoShroomish
    Have you added an AO pass? I can't really see, but if you haven't, then it would probably help a lot. Looks very nice btw.
  • SkullboX
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Well I'm no txture artist but I think both your final version as well as Johnny's paintover look worse than your first 'final' version. I rather liked that it wasn't entirely worn off and half destroyed and I liked the saturation on the first final. I think you managed to make it look good but not fisherprice, even though it may not be a very practical weapon color. Desaturation doesn't equal cool.

I do like the spec better in your latest final, although that might simply be the angle or new coloring, and the unpainted metal was also improved.

Just my two cents, I still have yet to paint my first texture so I'm no expert at all. smile.gif

edit: Oh by the way, I think it looks kickass.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool to me smile.gif
  • fantasymaster
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Nice Work, nice Textures.

You have used 2630 Polys for a Gun. Its a lot. I think you can save many Polys at some parts and invest these on other parts of your mesh.
    For example, The smal round thing on the side dont need so many polys. The normalmap on this part give them details. Put more Polys on the Blade for more roundness. Use triangles for a better mesh. Round details need more triangles for shadding, flat or smal can be low.
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I'm with Skullbox on this one, I like the finished version you had before Johny's paintover a lot better. It just suits the style of the gun a lot better. Does look awesome though.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx for all the comments! smile.gif

@ ruz
    I will keep that in mind for my next weapon.
    I upped the uvw of parts with a lot of small details like the screen.

@ NeoShroomish
    Its in there, just look at parts that are extruded inwards.

@ fantasymaster
    To be exact i used 2707, i made the barrel more round, but its 2707 for the fully modeled gun, i could delete a lot of polys that cant be seen in the FPV. The round thing on the side is not connected to the main model for animating purpose, so the normal cant do much there.
    I will try to make a more efficient mesh for my next weapon.

@ SkullboX & Illusions
    You were right, the orange was better. smile.gif
    I made the paint more like the previous version and i reduced the dirt a bit. The metal is nearly the same, i think it looks better with the more highlighted edges in the spec.

gunupdate4.jpg
    It finished! cool.gif
  • rooster