Home Technical Talk

RIP Intuos3

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
Does anyone have any tips for reviving wet electronics?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    open it up and dry everything out with paper towels and let it air dry, maybe even have a fan blow across it. Let that sucker dry out doubleplusgood before plugging it back in
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    as long as it wasn't plugged in when it got wet there's a chance justin's suggestion might work. water plus electricity is a very bad combo.
  • Rob Galanakis
    I was sleepwalking once and peed on my keyboard. I woke up halfway through and tried to dry everything off. Didn't work.

Then again, an Intuos3 isn't a $15 keyboard, and I will assume you didn't put copious amounts of liquid directly into it... like Justin said, just open it up and let it air dry is probably the best chance.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was sleepwalking once and peed on my keyboard. I woke up halfway through and tried to dry everything off. Didn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for WTF factor
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I was sleepwalking once and strangled my roommate with the cord to my keyboard. I then rolled him up in some carpet, hid him in my trunk, and tossed him over a bridge into the river below, which got my keyboard wet. Afterwards, I killed his family and took one of his sisters' dry keyboards. It works fine.
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks ely, i'll see if that works with my wacom
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    how wet is wet? I have spilled a drink on mine while working, but not a lot, and still lives. I suggest to let it dry and it might be fine. The seem to be air tight so there is a chance that it fine.

Alex
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    It was lying in a puddle a couple of mm high when I got home. Not too deep, but when I tip it over, water drips out the screw holes. It seems to have accumulated a lot... frown.gif I don't know how it happened, sleepwalking maybe.

Anyhow it's air drying right now, I'll find out what shape it's in in a day or ten. Thanks for the tips.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    how the hell was it sitting in a puddle?

Do you work in your bath tub?
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    no, but i work by the pool sometimes. i found the source of the puddle, it was the hot iron. one of those models with a built in water spray. one of my flatmates must have tipped it over...

oh well. if it doesn't work, i finally have an excuse to pick up the widescreen model.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    You mean one of your flatmates now has an excuse to pick the widescreen model up for you :P

If it's just regular water it should work fine after having dried for about a week or so.

I once spilled some hot, spicy pasta sauce into the keyboard of my laptop. It took about three months before it was working normally again. Thinking about it, I should have poured lots of tiny hungry insects into it..
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, yeah the flatmates owe me big time.

Actually I tested it out a minute ago and it's resurrected itself. There's just some odd behavior like the LED not working, and the alt function activating itself. I'll just let it dry out a bit longer and it should be back to normal.

Good choice of computer snack by the way. I'm a milk and cereal person myself.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, I'd let it dry a bit longer than this. It doesn't take a lot of liquid to short a connection or two and activate and deactivate functions all by itself. I'm glad it isn't dead, tho smile.gif

Just don't try balancing the milk and cereal with your laptop on the same arm. I was heading up the stairs and felt something warm trickling down my arm and realised the pasta sauce was overflowing from the keyboard.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    my cat pissed on my keyboard when he was a kitten and before had the 'snip'. When I opened the keybaord up it had crystals of solid urine in it, semi liquidy stuffy too:( blahh
  • SkullboX
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't take a lot of liquid to short a connection or two and activate and deactivate functions all by itself.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Then, could you please explain the following. My girlfriend threw a full cup of tea on/in my keyboard, so I disconnected it asap, cleaned it and let it dry for a few days. Most of it works but now I can only make the capital T with my right shift and the capital H with my left shift. All the other letters work in combination with either. It's so weird I really don't understand how such a specific combination of two sperate functions could have died. smile.gif
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Hehe, well that beats me. I'm not really all that versed when it comes to the inner dealings of electronics. I only have my own unfortunate empiric knowledge to go by.. smile.gif

It could be that when it dried it still left a thin layer of something that was in the tea. Like if you leave a glass of something or another out for days there's always a layer of icky goo left after the rest vaporized. I'm pretty sure only regular clear tap water will disappear without a trace.

Then again, maybe something just plain broke.. Did you open it and have a look?
  • Michael Knubben
    To get the last bits of liquid out, you could put it on a towel on top of your heating. Fixed my cellphone when there was water in it. Just make sure there's somewhere for the water to go