Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Something Different from the Normal Routine

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Ok so I've been meaning to do one of these for a while and figured tonight was a great night to get started so here it is.

Starting out with the armature... Not really the best one but it's sturdy and will do the job for what I need.

100_3600.JPG

100_3602.JPG

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to add some clay and build it up.

100_3606.JPG

100_3612.JPG

100_3613.JPG
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work...more clay...

100_3614.JPG

100_3617.JPG

100_3619.JPG

100_3621.JPG
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man, cool stuff. I've been planning on trying to do some of this soon here too, nice to be able to watch your procedure. smile.gif

Keep it up. smile.gif Got concepts we can see?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem... I am doing a mini bust much like the Gentle Giant ones of Clone Commander Bly...

I wasn't able to get a hold of one of the Celebration Europe Exclusive Busts so I decided to make my own to go with my collection but I wanted to pose him differently and give him his rifle like in the full body shot.

Bly.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Keep us updated.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok wow...it's 8:00 am now and I've been plugging away all night. So this is the last update for tonight until I wake up and do some more.

100_3622.JPG

100_3623.JPG

100_3624.JPG

100_3625.JPG

100_3626.JPG
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I see the you didnt clean ur dishes :P, I seem to have the same problem when I sculpt.

Lame joke aside, I like seeing this, cant wait to see the progress, keep it up!
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Jesse, cool project! Always wanted to try sculpey...
    Anyway, if I can make a suggestion, the base of the torso on your reference figure is a lot wider then what you have going on. Just wanted to point it out before you get into details. Keep going!

100_3624_po.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar yeah thanks for pointing that out. i probably would have noticed it later but better to see it sooner and have to make less fixes.

Ok time to get back to work on this....
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I've been thinking about getting myself some sculpy too. Perhaps you can answer a few questions for me. Whats the consistency and texture like? Does it become short if you handle it a lot? How much shrinkage? I'm used to work with Raku clay so I'm interested to know how this stuff compares.

Looks like your model is coming along quite well.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well honestly I have never really used anything but the super sculpey so it's hard to compare. I love the stuff. I think the consistency is great. If you want to soften it up a bit you can really warm it up by playing with it in your fingers and such.

Right now my sculpt is sitting a bit to let harden a little.

When everything is sculpted out to where I want it I will bake it and then etch in or carve all the hard little detail with my tools or a small dremel tip.

If I mess up I can cover it back up with more clay and re do it all.

I also like the super sculpey because it comes in translucent and you can just get one of the smaller sculpey packs for the color and mix them.

For every box of super sculpey (1 lb) I use 1 small thing of the colored stuff. Right now I'm using gray...

I'll get a shot up of all my materials and tools in a bit.

Any more questions just feel free to ask away.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    are you using any filler? i would use tinfoil to block most of the mass in then sculpey over it., sculpey will crack when baked if too thick. i would also personaly suggest workingout all the mass and form first,make a human first, then start adding on shoulder pads and armor bits,, curently he seems kinda spindly and tacked together, the neck seem way too long and scrawny, and the limbs seem weird,

if you rush into detail you will regrtet it,
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i didn't post shots but i did use filler. Tinfoil to be exact.

I think the neck looks long right now because i made it that way on purpose... I am going to cut the head off when done so I can cast molds.

I measured on the gentle giant bust since the head comes off and just added some distance to where I want to cut.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok had some time to work on this tonight. mainly doing a few corrections. His arms were a little to long and wonky. Fixed those and working on fixing the rest of the shapes before I really start cleaning the edges up and adding the smaller detail.

Also included a modified bust-up to just show a quick mock up of how the final piece may look.
    100_3633.JPG

100_3631.JPG

100_3629.JPG100_3627.JPG

100_3635.JPG
    100_3634.JPG

100_3636.JPG
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok been a while and I haven't really had much time to work on this lately because of work but here are a few updates. I've had some time here and there the past few days to put into this. Trying to tighten up the shapes a bit and get a good base and move on to the smaller details.

100_3647.JPG

100_3646.JPG

groupshot.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    wow jesse, you usually start with giving the soldiers head, so this is kind of wierd for you laugh.gif

lookin pretty clean, you gonna do the hands and head seperate and then just stick them on?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thanks Gavin..Nice input you dirty pervert..

Ok Adam I was holding off on the head for a bit so I could get the final body to where I wanted it.

As for how i'm gonna do the hands I mentioned it to you earlier Gavin and instead of typing all that again here is a pic.

By doing it this way I can make a few easy variations with hands and different arm sculpts for different poses.

gg03clonetrooperparts.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one, mate. Whats your secret for getting things so very smooth and sharp? Particularly smooth. I've been playing with some sculpey myself and was kinda proud of my progress until I saw this. I'll try and replace my digital camera so I can post some photos.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh yes the smooth shapes. A lot of patience and using the clay rakes and trying to get everything as smooth as possible.

I am slow with updates because I will let my sculpt sit close to a window for a day or two and i'll turn it so that each side gets sun light. It wont bake the clay but it will make it a bit firmer so you can get harder edges.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i usually put my sculpty in the fridge for a bit , helps make it non-mushy. you can also get the stuff in the bottle you rub on the sculpt to help smooth it out.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i haven't used the liquid stuff yet but i heard it's pretty nice.

Also when doing stuff like wrinkles if you use a pin to draw out the wrinkles and then sprinkle baby powder over the sculpture and use a paint brush to blend the wrinkles together and smooth them a little it will create a nice effect and look like skin.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really need to get myself some more tools. Currently I have one very chunky rake, a brush and a pair of tweezers. Could you give us a run down on what you've got in your toolbox, Jesse?

The sculpy liquid stuff is pretty pricy (so I've heard. I haven't actually seen it on sale), but you can just pick up some rubbing alcohol form a chemist which works just as well and may in fact be exactly the same chemical.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah rubbing alcohol works just as well from my experience to be honest with ya. Small amount on a paint brush and brush away and it smooths stuff out.

Yeah I'll take some pics of my tools tonight an up load a shot.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really need to get myself some more tools. Currently I have one very chunky rake, a brush and a pair of tweezers. Could you give us a run down on what you've got in your toolbox, Jesse?

The sculpy liquid stuff is pretty pricy (so I've heard. I haven't actually seen it on sale), but you can just pick up some rubbing alcohol form a chemist which works just as well and may in fact be exactly the same chemical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are some of my supplies and tools I use. My digi cam batt died when I tried to take one of my actual clay tools. I'll get to those tomorrow.

mytools.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MUST.. HAVE.. UPDATE!

btw, a cars whiper blade? wtfawk?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sorry works kept me away from playing with this...well showing up dates. I removed the left arm and cleaned out the socket and the underside. I will do this with the right arm as well when the time is right. I am ordering my casting and mold material this week.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    How about adding an ARC pauldron and kama?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    MUST.. HAVE.. UPDATE!

btw, a cars whiper blade? wtfawk?

[/ QUOTE ]

cars wiper blade. That is being used for something else haha. When building props, models, sculpts I try to use anything possible to save time sculpting that will work and give me solid results.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok now that I am settled down in Chicago and have all my sculpting stuff un packed and picked up some new tools I got started back on this guy.

Some of the details were partially destroyed during the transit from Maine to Chicago despite me packing this guy nice and neatly in it's own special box surrounded by soft fluffy goodness...ok anyways.

Here is the updates.

Both arms are removed now to clean the undersides up and add the more fine detail.

I am going to bake the bust tomorrow so that I can add the sharper details that would be hard to do with a soft piece of clay in my hands and since you can rebake super sculpey it's no big deal.

So here is the progress shot.

1129.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok been a long while since an update. Progress is slow as I do a piece now and then bake it and then move on since a lot of the shapes are hard details i have found it easier to do this but it takes a bit more time.

108.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry to hear about the worn out parts...anyways have you started on the head yet?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was sent something from a fellow customizer and given some tips.

I was sent a GG Ep 2 clone body and pieces to play with since that is what a lot of customizers are doing. So i figured I would try it out too.

I started on the mold making tonight using a product from smooth on. It's brushable.

moldingitup.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    casted a few in the molds. Came out pretty good. Minimal clean up involved.

casts1.jpg
    casts2.jpg
  • Cheshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you've really cleaned this up nice!

Its really coming along.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I was really skeptical about the clean look you could come up with, i found your job was a bit too organic for hard surfaces like those, but frankly those last shtos sold it. Good job, it looks pro.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    awesome jessy, definitely looking pro!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    very nicely done!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work dude!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    waitaminute, did you mold and cast the Gentle Giant Clone Trooper bust?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. I thought I had mentioned that above when I said a friend sent me something to try out.

I was asking another customizer how she got hers to look so damn close to the gg product and she laughed at me and said it's cause she re-cast it and then sculpted over that to add the other pieces.

So I was sent the Ep 2 Clone Body and a few other pieces. I already have the Ep 3 body and pieces along with a few commanders.

I am still working on my hand sculpted one but I wanted to give this a shot and paint up a few customs that can easily fit into my collection or anyone elses collection.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    haha ok... slightly less impressive but still interesting
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Crap Jess that looks awesome!

Good to see you're working at Midway! When did you get that job?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    so you didn't even buy the model you're casting?

edit
    just wanted to add more to this so it didn't sound like a trolling statement.

I have a unit of 12 chaos warriors that need the mark of Nurgle on their shields. I bought the 12 nurgle icons to glue onto 12 chaos shields. Some people would say it's perfectly ok to just do one shield and cast the other 11 (although most miniature forums would close my thread and threaten the banhammer for saying that), but someone giving me their bits to copy is a no-no in my book.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did buy the model off the guy that sent it to me and I am spending my money on the materials and time to make these customs. I have purchased all my busts. A lot of guys in the custom scene started in the exact same way I am. I'm not doing this to make a living and it's just a hobby.

I have made trades with other people for my customs because they like the way they look and the changes to their own collections.

I'm not gonna go to comic con and set up a booth and sell these.

As for if it's right or not who knows. I guess that is a matter of your own perspective and opinion.

In this matter I am using the GG bust as a base mesh to customize to how I see fit.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Its cool, but why starwars? Seriously I'm not following what is so great in sw that everyone is crazy about.
    But it doesn't change that storm trooper is looking ace wink.gif