Home Contests & Challenges Archives

LPC #01 - FZero Racer -- MasteroftheFork

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
thunderfox_wip01.jpg

I have a few more polies to add some more detail, I'll figure it out after the high poly though.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeriyakiStyle: Thanks, I thought it would add a bit more size reference.

I started work on the high poly version. I ended up changing the structure a fair amount. Also I decided to loose the metal bits at the end of the engines to free up some polies.

thunderfox_wip02.jpg
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need a bit of help. I haven't done much high poly before and I have done even less non-organic models. So in order to keep my hard edges after I smooth them I have been beveling them. This seems to work great for outer edges but doesn't work so well on inner edges. The edge themselves are ok but the area next to them ignores the edge and curves over it...it's kind of hard to explain so heres a picture.

thunderfox_wip03.jpg

So any help with this would be great!

PS. I'm using Maya
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    edgel.jpg

Do this. When you bevel your edge make sure your tris don't cut the border too fast. One way is to always report them on a larger face.
  • ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Instead of beveling your edges to keep them hard try using the poly crease tool. It allows you to decide how much you want the high poly model to conform to the original mesh. This may not be appropriate for all situations but it generally works out well for me.
  • Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using 3ds max?

If so then when Meshsmoothing tell it to "smooth by smooth groups"

works like a charm...
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    Instead of beveling your edges to keep them hard try using the poly crease tool. It allows you to decide how much you want the high poly model to conform to the original mesh. This may not be appropriate for all situations but it generally works out well for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that in Max? I don't believe I've ever heard of it/used it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow some good high poly method here, Im always trying to find ways to make my high poly look neat and not bendy haha
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ghostscape: Yep, crease settings are found in the Editable Poly rollouts. I generally don't use it because it gives a "perfectly" sharp edge, as opposed to a thin bevel that will catch light in a more natural way.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Brandon: Yeah, using smoothing groups is a quick hack for getting hard edges, but the trouble there is you get very exact hard edges. On real objects, there's always a slight roundness to an edge (aside from some kind of knife or sword or something, for the most part) This is especially apparent when your material has quite a bit of specular and gloss. With 100% hard edges, the edges wont catch the hilight because there's nothing there.

I always do my hipoly with plain old ring-connects for the most part, with occasional chamfer (good for semi-hard edges)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    or you can use edges and edge loops to control your smoothness on the high poly model.

in 3ds max the connect feature is a god send with high poly modeling.

i've been working on a tutorial / work flow for this for a little while now... maybe I'll just post a quick screen cap to show what i mean if it isn't clear.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Oooh, you guys are using some crazy moon term for smoothing groups. Makes sense to me smile.gif

I just use chamfered edges because it gives you a better edge.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help guys!

Heres a near finished high poly:

thunderfox_wip04.jpg

thunderfox_wip05.jpg
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Very star warsy, looks good. I think the front could use a little more detail to it, kinda plain right now.