Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warrior/Traveler Character

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys,

Here's a WIP of a character for my portfolio, c&c are very welcome. He's is an action/RPG hero(Inspired by some titles like assassin's creed, diablo, etc.)

technical stuff: Ill be normal mapping him once hi res is complete. Base Mesh lays at 6.5 k for now but is very likely to change.

Ill use 2 x 2048 textures.

concept:
WarriorTravelerConcept.jpg

base mesh:
new_Wire.jpg

current state of the model: 8505 tris with weapon and case

new_warriorpresent.jpg

Replies

• The Umbrella Man
    Personally I think you ought to spend the extra polys adding the waist pads to the low poly cage, other then that it looks pretty great. Good work.
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thx for the tip umbrella man, Ill be adding those extra polys on the base mesh for the thighs armor.

Small update:

hi res mesh is near completion, Ill tweak the head and arms a bit.... then I should be done, of course do not hesistate to make suggestion or crits, I need them to push this guy.
    thanks in advance,

udpate2.jpg
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Generally, a nice model. However, your cloth has a general weightlessness to it. It's not feeling as if it's really folding or unfolding in any of its creases. Ever.
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    stoofoo, thx for your eye :P, here's a new pass on the pants

pants2.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Enough wrinkles on that scarf, there?

Very good, although
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Update! yay, im done with the unwrap / low resing part

I put a basic diffuse and put a bit of spec in max

heres what the warrior look like atm:

update3.jpg
  • NeoShroomish
    There's a few places in your highpoly that are distorted, you could fix those up if you're really pedantic but it will probably bake fine :]
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    NeoShroomish: yeah ill probably be fixing the normals withing the texture in the concerned areas.

update4.jpg

Heres a 1st pass with the spec mask.
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    another update:

update6.jpg

I revisited the proportions, changed some aspects of the face in zbrush, and I have started with the diff/spec maps.
    ...a dirt pass and detailing pass should help making this look less like 3d.

If anyone happens to know a bit about Roboblitz or unreal 3.0 (materials and rendering) I need some help creating the eyeball setup and skin shaders in the engine.

Thanks
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hi polycounters,

I cant say im done but I gave at least a hard push on the textures, here whats it looks like atm.

Ill be on the hair case soon... *GULP*

After a pass of textures, some proportions tweaks and some GI :

update7.jpg

"a la assassin's creed"

update8.jpg
  • buddikaman
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! I have a questin for you, im guessing you made the high res in zbrush, but for the armor and boots and more flat objects, did you high res them in zbrush, or how did you create those?

-Buddikaman-
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thx buddikaman. For the hard surfaces, I modeled those in max with the sub-d technique. I would usually have done a zbrush detail pass on these, but for some reason my computer is getting slower by the day. So instead, for details, I painted heightmaps of scratches in photoshop (gray & white map giving depth) and converted those into normal map with crazybump <----awesome tool and finally took those normal maps and put them in overlay on top of the current normal maps.

any weapon ideas or refs would be super helpful.

update9.jpg
  • Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    lookin great wizo smile.gif

sawed off shotty would be cool. Or if you wanted melee a big rusted version of the red monkey wrench here. smile.gif

http://www.nmri.go.jp/eng/khirata/metalwork/others/pipe/fig06_big.jpg

Could you render on a darker background next time? I feel like the contrast is sucking away all of your darker details . Its either the background or the lighting. smile.gif

• Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yah Wizo, really turning out nice on this one. Only comment I have is looking over your wires, there are a few areas that I think you can reduce on, such as around the head ( back of the head is being covered by hair ) and arms, as you have alot of inner poly's that aren't helping the silhouette. Then you can use those poly's to help other areas that are on the sharper side such as around the feet and whereever else you might need to smooth out. Hope that helps, and again it's looking good.

Spark
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Sean McBride: Hey thanks for the ideas! I should have specified I was aiming for a sword tho ;P. although that wrench is really cool. Bioshock??
    as for the lighting, heres a render with a darker BG and default 3dsmax lighting. I admit ill have to work on that for the final presentation.

unllit.jpg

Spark: Thanks for the comment & tips!! I put more poly into the boots but I ve just realized I forgot to work the arms, Ill work on that before I call it final.

Here's an update, I have a few skinning issues to fix and some material effects to add.

a better pose:
    new_warriorpresent.jpg

wires:
    new_Wire.jpg

flats:
    flats-2.jpg

• Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    that is amazing! looks great! thanks for sharing!
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thx Japhir!

ok well, heres a near final. maybe I should push it further but Ill have to let the model rest for a while. (and myself in the same occasion) smile.gif

warriorFinal-1.jpg

a turnaround: (800 kb)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3gzttbhtjex

I hope you like it.
  • Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    He turned out great! I like him very much.

The boots are possibly the weakest part of the model in my opinion. I hate feet so i can understand that being a weak point. smile.gif Its my weakness too. Also the definition on the normal map for the arms seems to be a little lacking. Might want to work on those two things on the next piece.

Otherwise like i said great job. He's a character to be proud of. smile.gif