Home Technical Talk

procedural animated texture ?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
hey guys, I'm trying to create a procedural alpha texture, somehow like doom3's thing when you kill the demons, just not over all the body, any idea where I could find a (free?) generator or something like that (maybe tutorials for photoshop) to create that ?

thanks smile.gif

Replies

• JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I think something like this would typically be done with just a normal procedural greyscale image (created in something like allegorithmic mapzone) and then in code they use it as a mask going through th levels. Kinda like photoshop's threshold adjustment.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can make a plane, apply Noise to it, and animate the Time or Seed or whatever in your program of choice to animate it, then just render it to frames.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think something like this would typically be done with just a normal procedural greyscale image (created in something like allegorithmic mapzone) and then in code they use it as a mask going through th levels. Kinda like photoshop's threshold adjustment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this sounds like pretty much the way we do it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done this too. We have a reveal effect for units that starts in the center of their bodies and travels outwards to their tips, pretty cool. We set up a Falloff map in 3ds Max that uses another mesh as the center of the gradient (positioned in the center of the unit), and we added some 3D noise to the gradient. Then we bake that 3D falloff intoa bitmap using the unit's UVs. A runtime shader uses the map for alpha test (1bit alpha/clipmap/sprite/etc.), animating the threshold amount.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    and if you need render-to-texture of procedurals that must tile, use a torus as basemesh (as Eric would tell you)