Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hive tyrant wip

Unleashed
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
Ok, I am incredibly, incredibly slow and desperately need to increase the rate at which I model. Im hoping that by posting here, ill force myself to update constantly(as well as get some c&c). For those not familiar, its a hive tyrant from warhammer 40k.

ht1.jpg
ht2.jpg

And this is the [url= http://www.visupoint.com/unleashed/tyranids/ht1.jpg ]concept[/url](which is not mine btw) which I am basing it off of(the miniature was quite different, and much less cool imo smile.gif)

Replies

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    try subdividing less, apply a turbo smooth over the top and only add edges were you need to. If you want a consistent quad mesh try sniping some of the loops short - don't just run them across the entire mesh. smile.gif

Good work so far!

On a final note, is this for a normal map? If it is... then you really shouldn't care so much about topology.. and by that I mean you should a lower res version which is even and subdivide and work in detail in 3d sculptor app of choice smirk.gif
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, model's looking pretty good so far, the mesh is nice and clean. I'm wondering what you're building this model for, will it be used to make normal maps, or will it be for something pre-rendered? Well, regardless of what you're making it for, I'd highly suggest you block out the entire model before cutting all the details in, this will help you in visualizing the edge loops and you'll be working faster too. If this is for normal map generating, why not just sculpt it? Anyway, looking good, keep going!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, you mentioned that you wanted to increase your productivity here's some ways get used to the shortcut keys in your application, create your own.

Zbrush's interface has the best choice in optimization of toolbars and panels I've seen. Especially that you can place them anywhere you want in your workspace which is like a god-sent action to me for any 3D application.

When you model find the best ways to tackle your task at hand such as the basic forms like the base on which to work with before getting too detailed. A bunch of artist seem to be using zbrush to create all there highpoly work first then go down to there lowest subdivision and create that as there lowpoly design/base.

I just mention zbrush because you seem to be heading into the high detail range and with this type of character I feel it would benefit from a polish from either Zbrush or mudbox.

Think that should help you if not sry.

$
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Yea hive tyrant is cool and all but as soon as my dark angels come with there giant bolt gun raid can's your little hive tyrant is going to get stomped just all the rest of those roaches that infect the 40k world =p

haha ok enough dork.

on a serious not , I have to agree with all these other guys, just build a high poly without going nuts on topology or anything and then export that and work your chunks or whole unit into mudbox or zbrush, and then build a low poly mesh and bake it onto that.

I really cant say anything about your current progress, its spot on awesome, but if your trying to make a next gen character then to speed up your processs do the above. (Eveyone else is saying the same thing right now anyway)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Is it done?

TOO SLOWWWWSW

models looking good. keep it up!
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    This is really more for me to improve my skills in poly modelling(even though it seems to be dying with the likes of zb3). One thing I have problems with is what you said spacemonkey, keeping the edgeloops under control and keeping everything in quads. I do plan on bringing it to zbrush but for this particular model I want to do more details in silo before zb.
  • Dread_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dread_Reaper polygon
    Great googly moogly....

This is awesome! But there seems to be a little bit of wasting with the polys. Just a thought, but otherwise it ostensibly looks great! I love Tyranids!

-Dread_Reaper