Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi swordswoman

Dr_Graevling
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dr_Graevling polycounter lvl 11
So yes, I dared to up my polycount a little this time and so can't post it in the lowpoly thread.

I first wanted to try and blend fantasy and sci-fi, kind of like in the Final Fantasy games and such, but I think I ended up with more Sci-fi than fantasy in the end. I also wanted to try out and make the same kind of hands Poopinmymouth and Spacey used on their Naruto and Rock Lee models. Anyway, enough talk.
sci-fantasy_chick_wires.jpg

sci-fantasy_chick_poses.jpg

Also, concept.

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. It reminds me very much of the original Phantasy Star game.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks very cool!! great stuff! i'd make the texture a bit more interesting, although it now matches the concept perfectly.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work, I'm digging the poses. A shadow would really be nice below her feet. I like the texture work too, looks really cohesive.

poop.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow real nice work for such a low poly count and tex size. my only crit is that the stockings and blouse don't seem to be on top of the skin... those areas [shoulder and thighs] need some shading to reduce the apparent flatness.

other than that... nice work man!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm dunno, but I think the texture resolution doesn't fit to the polycount.
    Quake3 for example had playermodels with less polygons while having much more detailed textures.

You texture looks like it would fit nicely to a... lets say 500 polygon model (and corresponding game).

Otherwise nice work.

Edit: Actually I think you model doesn't really look like a 1.2k model either, due to the high use of quads which are quite inefficient when working with such low polycounts.
  • Dr_Graevling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, I'll have another go at the texture and I'll also add a shadow below her feet.

JKMakowka, I was thinking PSP when I made her and I think it's able to push quite a few polygons, but the texture memory isn't quite as good. Or am I wrong there? I'm not entirely sure.
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Ey man, nice work. Feels like your style has matured since last we met smile.gif
    Would be cool to see that one with a simple walk and attack animation on the Psp. Maybe a monster to go with that and bingo! laugh.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice model.
    Personally i would make the arms as separate pieces, you will save polys and no collapsing.
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Lovely smile.gif

I think this needs more contrast to texture. Looking a bit flat at the moment.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to say exactly that, which is cool.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I like it too dr.! Big buttocks FTW! I really like your texture style. The face is brilliant smile.gif
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Cool character. Dig the head and sword. Hope you don't mind, but I scribbled some on your picture. Obviously I have more pixels to work with than you, but I think you can still push the limits further.

Use value chunks and gradients to section things off. The knee pad, for instance, just blends into the rest of the boot, contrary to the concept. Putting a dark line or a shadow under it will help make the pads their own entity. Or like instead of drawing a specular line on the shin of the boot to show a change of direction, shade one whole side lighter than the other (like you have in the concept) and maybe add a small highlight where it flares out to compensate for the foot. (One problem you'd run into is that you'd have the light on the outside of both boots, but you might be able to flip the UV's of the other boot so the light is hitting the same side.)

Some areas looks like they have too much highlight and not enough of the "natural" color showing through (like on the bicep, kneepad, toes).

The backside looks like she recently had a wedgie =P I'd kill some of that contrast and let the flap fall lightly on her butt.

I really like the sword, but it doesn't seem to have any relation to the character at all. Maybe some yellow bits in a couple spots will help unify. Also, if you take the corner pixels off the top of the circle (at the tip of the sword) it will help make it look more circular.

Dark, saturated reds will help bring some life into the skin.

graevling_po.jpg
  • SneakyP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i loved playing the phantasy star games as a kid!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    excellent job dr. graevling! love this low poly stuff
  • Dr_Graevling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again, thanks a lot for the comments. And a big thanks to Spacey for the paintover, it helped a lot. Here's an update on the texture:
    sci-fantasy_chick_new.jpg
    I hope it looks better now.