Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ken Masters

Ojah
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ojah polycounter lvl 12
Hi there, my first post here. I've just started modelling Ken from the street fighter series and I'm trying to keep the proportions as they were in the game. I've started with a high poly version, with a really crappy poly flow, just trying to nail the likeness, but capcom's style is kinda hard.
please comment, especially on the face.
kensmallyq5.jpg

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well we can't really give a good critique without wires of the model. Front and Side don't really help us see the form of the character. Personally I don't see why you would remove geometry, I would use Alpha transparency. A sketch to see what you were going for would help to see what parts you missed on. Just off the top of my head I can start to see proportion problems and a few anatomy problems. The cloth feels like it has no weight either.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Poor Ken frown.gif

for inspiration check out Pierre Bourgeot's version of Ryu

http://www.pierrebourgeot.com/site/view_gallery.htm?a=ryu
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as I'm concerned there is no proper way to create anything, there are only techniques. Some are easier and much more efficient than others, which is why I recommended mudbox. If anything he will have a greater appreciation for it when he does actually get it.

here's some ref for ya!

Ken_3.jpg
    Street_Fighter_HD___Ken_Sample_by_UdonCrew.jpg
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I actually like how the gray shaded version of that Ryu looks better than the final product. Really solid anatomy.
    Pants are wierd. Looks like he referenced the Capcom drawings rather than an actual karate gi outfit. Still pretty cool, though.
  • Ojah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ojah polycounter lvl 12
    heh, that Ryu is a great model, and good as inspiration indeed. I must say I was aware of the complete fucked up anatomy but just wanted to get critique from an early point. Then this one might not end up on the pile of abandoned models. Next version probably will be a bit more pleasing to the eyes(with wires).
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you have access to either mudbox or zbrush? if so just go grab a copy of arsh's baseman and sculpt your pants off, that's what i'm doing with my version of akuma.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Looking forward to the next version... it's really not a bad start at all.
    I do wonder though if the head is ment to be realistic or not; since currently it looks pretty stylized.

@ThatDon: Try to keep your comments more constructive, will ya?
    Maybe he want to learn how to do it properly all by himself first?
  • Ojah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ojah polycounter lvl 12
    its ment to be as stylized as possible, wanted to emulate the capcom comic/game/animation style. I dont mind the harsch comments, maybe i should have done a bit more work then what Ive done so far(and well, at the moment it just looks wrong). I dont have zbrush/mudbox here, so it will be max for a while more.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I am usually known for my harsh comments (ok not quite Per128 style), but the unwritten laws of Polycount state that you can be as harsh as you want (it is actually encuraged) as long as you provide constructive critizism also tongue.gif
  • Ojah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ojah polycounter lvl 12
    and a new picture.
    It even includes a wire... Although thats mostly for show, as im trying to get the shape right, polies are split where i need detail, and loops are destroyed.
    Removed the cloth as it looked stupid, and made some legs, have fun with the comments smile.gif
    ken02nh5.jpg]
  • Ojah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ojah polycounter lvl 12
    Finally home again, so might do some more work on this tonight. About mudbox, I've used it before (not much tho) and i fully appreciate it, but for me, I think, its faster to create the shape first in max, as I'm familiar with this workflow.

btw, thanks for the refs, didnt have the first, but as always with these kind of characters, their shape differs with every picture.
    kenreffront04wo7.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that looks a bit like a regular shape picture stretched to widescreen? look at the cape clasp things they're oval and should surely be round
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    rooster: it still wouldn't change the fact that their heads are fuckin TINY.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hah it would probably make them smaller laugh.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    as far as I'm concerned there is no proper way to create anything, there are only techniques. Some are easier and much more efficient than others, which is why I recommended mudbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on that part, but I was referring to the "just grab Arsh's base mesh" part, which is basicly the same as "it's so bad I wouldn't even bother to improve it further" and really not constructive at all.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry if I came across that way, honestly that wasn't my intention.