Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Generic Action Hero/Soldier Bust

I posted this over on the Mudbox forums yesterday, but after 80-odd views, and no replies, I figured I'd probably get a better reception here.

It was made with the same base mesh I posted a while ago, with a few proportion tweaks. I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in the thread from the Mudbox forums, on account of me being a lazy bastard. tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hullo everyone,

This is the first sculpt that I've deemed worthy of showing, as I'm pretty new to sculpting, so I wanted some critiques and advice before I started adding any asymmetry, high frequency detail, scars, and the like. I'm hoping to turn this into a portfolio piece, if it takes a turn for the better.

I was pretty heavily inspired by Live Free or Die Hard (great film), and Bruce Willis' macho man pastiche. Hopefully it doesn't show too much, as I want some kind of creativity and originality, while maintaining the overall "action hero" style.

Please let me know what you think, and if it's worthy of some more effort and polish. I'm sure I screwed up on proportions and the muscle groups a lot, so I'd particularly like some help in that area.

Thanks for looking! grin.gif

jgarlandbustgb8.png

[/ QUOTE ]

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    post more angles...right now neck looks too small...eyes ears an nose all look kina funky...use ref..the more you guess..the less the likeness and the anatomy will look correct..

http://webpages.csus.edu/~ald28/bruce.jpg

304381.jpg

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Eyes are still too high, the whole face looks stretched. I really like some of the forms, but the proportions aren't really correct, yet -- I hate to give the same vague advice everyone does, but work longer at a lower subd level. Grab some ref and stay on your lowest subd level until you have all of the basic forms nailed, then move up and do this same kind of detailing.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    don't rely just on looking at him either.. overlay your model at the correct angles onto photos of him. there will be some differences in perspective between your app and the camera but you can still go a long way towards the likeness that way imo, itll highlight a lot of problem areas when you flick between them
    edit: d'oh I saw the pic and thought it was a portrait. well still itll highlight proportion issues just using a human face
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some of the changes that have been suggested, after looking at a lot of reference, and I think it's coming along a lot better now. Moving the eyes down have made him a lot less long-in-the-face.

The eyes still need a lot of work, as do the ears (they're more or less the same as they were on the base mesh). Let me know what you think, and whether or not the proportions are looking better.

Thanks for the help! smile.gif

jgarlandbustkr5.png
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Still feels way too narrow to me. You could squish the whole thing vertically by about 10% or more and it would probably feel more 'right', and probably more thuggish too.

You need to pull the ears out too I think.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the narrowness [for me] takes away the feeling of a strong jawline.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    yippie Kiyahhh motha fu%ah!

Bust is coming out uber awesome, and also if you didnt get the reference

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R5in09EwYV0
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    its the skull that seems to be throwing it off. its too bullet shaped right now
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your comments are really keeping me going. I definitely appreciate it. I wasn't working on this for a few days, but after reading your comments, it got me up and going again. smile.gif

I've reworked some of the major shapes. It's a lot less narrow now, although perhaps a bit too much? In all, I think it looks more solid. I'm just going to keep plugging away until I get it right.

jgarbustan2.png